Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

25th Anniversary '98 Play-off Final Q&A Event with Curbs, Browny and Peter Varney

Hi all,

Just in case anyone here fancies a decent Charlton-y evening out next month...

25th Anniversary '98 Play-off Final Q&A Event with Curbs, Browny and Peter Varney

Date & Time: Thursday 25th May, 18:00 - 22:00.

Location: Brew By Numbers brewery taproom, Southern Warehouse, Morden Wharf Road, Greenwich.

On May the 25th 1998, Charlton legends were made. 77,739 people crammed into the old Wembley to watch a game that would go down in British footballing history as one of the greatest finals it's ever seen.

120 minutes, eight goals, 13 penalties and one unforgettable hat trick. While we're talking numbers, it may only seem like yesterday, but that defining '98 Play-Off Final was a full 25 years ago this May. Time flies when you're having fun, then less fun, then loads of fun and then pretty much no fun for ages.
We can't let the 25th anniversary of arguably Charlton Athletic's greatest ever game go by without marking it somehow, can we?
On May the 25th 2023, join us as MODmag hosts a very special anniversary event. An exclusive, limited ticket Q&A charity event featuring some top tier guests indeed:
- Charlton manager and icon Alan Curbishley
- Penalty-dispatching Addicks legend Stevie Brown- Chief Exec and all-round good guy Mr. Peter Varney- Plus maybe - just maybe - a special guest or two (if we can pull it off!)Presented by Addicks-supporting Sky Sports presenter Ben Ransom, this event will be held at the Brew by Numbers brewery taproom at Morden Wharf in Greenwich. On the exact 25th anniversary date too. See? We’re clever like that.
So come and join us on Thursday May 25th. Doors open at 6pm, the Q&A will start at 7pm and finish at around 10pm (doors close at the venue shortly afterwards). Tickets are priced at £30, with all profits going to the Jack Jeffreys Superhero Trust. Your ticket price does cover two pints (beer or soft drink). Tokens will be handed out on arrival.It’s a limited ticket event due to capacity and logistics. We’ve no idea just how popular it might be, but if you really want to come, best shoot in your tickets early. Tickets can be bought on our site: https://www.modmag.co.uk/ - any questions you can ask on here or email us as editor@modmag.co.uk

Hope to see some of you down there!

Comments

• I live a good 90 minute drive from Greenwich so I’ll not be there - but just wanted to say well done for putting this on. Great idea and I’m sure it’ll be a great success. 
  • Unfortunately I'm away, would love to be there. 
  • hermann said:
    Unfortunately I'm away, would love to be there. 
    Oh wow……this sounds fantastic.
    Unfortunately a long round trip for me but if I still lived within reasonable striking distance I’d certainly make a point of being there.
    Have a wonderful evening all of you lucky enough to go along, I’m sure you will. 👍
  • Meantime Brewery aren't going to be happy! Just down the road, (mostly) great beer and Charlton legends...what's not to like? See you there.
  • Meantime Brewery aren't going to be happy! Just down the road, (mostly) great beer and Charlton legends...what's not to like? See you there.
    Maybe they don’t have the facilities for this kind of event?
    Maybe they don’t have the facilities for this kind of event?

They do :-) Their taproom is slightly more 'luxurious' than BBNO's...but BBNO wins on beer...
  • Meantime , mainly a bluff who get by on a funky name . Think most of it is rank 
    Coming from one of the weakest lamest drinkers ever in existence , that’s probably a good endorsement for them but I’m not keen on their stuff .
    I prefer a pint of Peroni (both owned by Asahi ) down at The Valley
  • Meantime , mainly a bluff who get by on a funky name . Think most of it is rank 
    Coming from one of the weakest lamest drinkers ever in existence , that’s probably a good endorsement for them but I’m not keen on their stuff .
    I prefer a pint of Peroni (both owned by Asahi ) down at The Valley
    Ditto. 
  • Thought I would bump this

400 leaflets given out today so hopefully the word spread a bit more

Make sure you get your ticket 🎟 
  • Brownie*
  • Sponsored links:

• Got our tickets for this. Given our present difficulties, it’s always good to relive happier times and you couldn’t wish for three better guests.

I’ve been to the Brew By Numbers Brewery & Taproom before on a mini-crawl from there to The Meantime Tasting Rooms & Brewery Shop and The River Ale House. 

The venue is a nice set up and just under a mile from North Greenwich tube station. 
  • Hopefully a big turn out to Impressive PVs Investors?
  • I know you can’t talk ill of the great man (and I thought he was brilliant last night), but I thought Curbs final comment about the fans needing to get behind the team more was a bit off.   
  • It wasn’t off. He was specifically asked by someone in the audience what the fans could do to help turn things around for the club. Short of crowd sourcing £100m to find a purchase of the club, assets, liabilities etc, he was left with very little other than to say that sometimes the fans need to lift the players rather than vice versa…not really a controversial thing to say but in reality crowds are too amorphous to do anything except react to what they’re watching on the pitch, so it is pointless raising the issue. I don’t know what else he was meant to say though. 
  • A good manager always takes the heat off of the players.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    I know you can’t talk ill of the great man (and I thought he was brilliant last night), but I thought Curbs final comment about the fans needing to get behind the team more was a bit off.   

• A good night, wasn’t keen on the few beers I tried last night.
  • A really good, entertaining, night.. Looks like @TelMc32 was sat right in front of me.
  • se9addick said:
    I know you can’t talk ill of the great man (and I thought he was brilliant last night), but I thought Curbs final comment about the fans needing to get behind the team more was a bit off.   
    I make him right and wrong , our support is lame most of the time without a following wind and some help but if raucous support made any difference Pompey and Wednesday wouldn't be League One and Leeds would have never ventured down here .
  • edited May 2023
    Great evening  @MODmag

• Well done for raising so much for a very worthwhile Charlton related charity.

Hope the bits the museum donated brought in a few bob.
  • Thanks for coming, everyone. Pleased to see everyone enjoyed themselves. We raised just shy of £1,800 for the Jack Jeffries Superhero Trust, all told. Cheers for your help, @paulie8290.

Steve MODmag.

Damn, I wish I thought of that username when I signed up! Bravo👏

That's fantastic news too. Well done everyone involved!
  • Thanks for coming, everyone. Pleased to see everyone enjoyed themselves. We raised just shy of £1,800 for the Jack Jeffries Superhero Trust, all told. Cheers for your help, @paulie8290.

Steve MODmag.

Well done mate, that’s fantastic