Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How Do We Play Like That Every Week?

Flash in the pan performance, or is this the start of something better?

Players contracts up for grabs, and suddenly players put in a shift.

Manager signs a new deal , gives a bit of stability.

Is this another false dawn, or are we going to hit a upwards trajectory between now and the end of the season?

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    So hard to tell with this lot. Morecambe were abysmal in the main but when they clicked into gear for 5 minutes in the second half we went back into our shell again and looked vulnerable. Very few teams will defend as badly as they did for 3 of the 4 weak goals. 
  • Options
    We don't. Not with this set of players. But we can play closer to that more often if Holden can channel this new found apparent positivity that's going around the squad with new deals being signed etc.
  • Options
    When you play poor opposition like Morcombe you can’t help but look good. Let’s not get carried away, our passing was dreadful at times last night and we constantly gave the ball away.
  • Options
    I know it’s been and gone, and he is a long in the tooth manager, but we should have taken Accrington to the cleaners on Saturday, why the players turn it on when they fancy it, is beyond me, get them down the Woolwich barracks every bleeding week!
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I said on the match thread - it was winning 2nd balls and the physical battles, We rarely win those as clearly as last night and it allows you to play your game. I look back on Sheff Wednesday who were a niggly, dirty physicaly strong side which along with having one or two talented players is the right recipe. We were not at their level in terms of cheating, they are an extreme, but I hope we get somewhere about there. Basically if you are beaten in midfield, foul them. Niggly little fouls but it stops opponents getting any rhythm.
  • Options
    The most depressing part is, 5 more wins and we'd be in the playoffs... you literally only have to be half decent to have a chance of geting out of this league
  • Options
    Morecambe are truly woeful. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2023
    The league table doesn’t lie. Where we are is a fair representation of the quality of our squad. We’re better than Morecambe & Forest Green etc but miles off top 6 standard.
  • Options
    Morecambe didn't press anything. At all. Look at the third goal again and watch the amount of time Campbell had to run through 45 scenarios in his head before cutting onto his left and crossing under no pressure. If one of our players did that I'd never want to see them again. Our players had so, so much time to do whatever they wanted; make off the ball runs that weren't tracked, drive with the ball under minimal pressure, pick a pass at leisure. Morecambe were awful
  • Options
    You can only play against what’s in front of you. A lack of consistency and an inadequate squad for the past 2 seasons is the reason why we will always be a League One midtable club. 

Can they back it up again away at Cambridge on Saturday. 
  • Options
    Well. If we could play against a L1 relegation zone team every week that would be a start I suppose.
  • Options
    Well. If we could play against a L1 relegation zone team every week that would be a start I suppose.
    Before last night our record this season against the current bottom 6 as of Saturday was one win from 8 games and an average of one point per game 
  • Options
    Morecambe only had a couple of decent players, we only have a couple of decent players. 

Our decent players were better than their decent players. We appeared to have more grafters though. 
  • Options
    I think the key thing for me was how quickly we moved the ball, none of this ponderous, slow build up that is so infuriating to watch - if we did that all the time, then not only would it be better to watch, but results would improve - yes Morecambe were awful, but the movement and speed of play by us made them look worse than they are

In any event, so nice to wake up the morning after a Charlton match in a good mood !!!
  • Options
    The playing surface was pretty decent which probably helped us more than them.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    If we’d played like that at home to Sheffield Wednesday, or if we do it in the future game away at Ipswich, then we might be getting on to something, but I suspect it is another false dawn in a series of them.
    The most significant aspect of last night is that we had six home grown players on show, would’ve been seven but for the deeply unfortunate injury to Lucas Ness.
    Home grown at this stage will lead to inconsistency, but also offers hope.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If we’d played like that at home to Sheffield Wednesday, or if we do it in the future game away at Ipswich, then we might be getting on to something, but I suspect it is another false dawn in a series of them.
    The most significant aspect of last night is that we had six home grown players on show, would’ve been seven but for the deeply unfortunate injury to Lucas Ness.
    Home grown at this stage will lead to inconsistency, but also offers hope.
    My Son said to me, now that we're almost safe, we will see any more academy players getting a run out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well we have also seen Chin, Mitchell, Elewere, Barker and probably others whose names escape me right at this moment.
    From my perspective the advancement of development players has been the best aspect of this season plus the Carabo Cup run.
  • Options
    I think Derek Adams might have the answer.
    His post match interview made Charlton sound like Real Madrid. A bit of tweaking and we could have world beaters on our hands.
  • Options
    Last night was the 11th occasion this season that Morecambe have conceded 3 or more goals so we shouldn't get too carried away. For our remaining matches we play teams that are 3rd, 7th, 9th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 18th, 21st, 22nd & 23rd. Apart from Ipswich, that is as easy a run in as one could hope for so there are really very few excuses for us not building on last night and developing some consistency. 
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Easy play Morecambe every week Ha