Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chat GPT

I wasn't particularly fussed by this until I heard a podcast about it the other day so I thought I would give it a go and asked it a few questions.

OMG - this thing is pretty astonishing.  Absolutely incredible what it can do and also a little bit scary

Anyone else had a little tinker with it?

Comments

• Been testing it out for a week now

Tried it with my Spanish homework, a comprehension task:

It would change the word order of the question into a full sentence answer set up, and then treat the new rejigged word order as the question and confuse itself

I then tried it with my History homework:

It gave me some great points as to why Stalin strengthened his position with the Great Purges

Then I asked it for quotes, and it disappointed

First it would give me realistic quotes from real historians who work on the GP, but then after I asked where they came from it would tell me it was sorry, but it was actually a paraphrase

Then I would ask it for quotes "that I could find in a book" about the points it would give me (eg. quotes pertaining to increased loyalty of Stalin's ministers due to fear), and although it was impressive, it would make up a fake quote, from a real historian, from a real book the historian published

Then I would find the book in a "legal" online library and the quote is nowhere to be found

Overall, very fun to mess around with, but don't rely on it for things that are not concrete facts (like Maths or maybe Chemistry/Biology/Physics)
  • edited March 2023
    Due to the increased time queuing to enter the site, it's rubbish! Nothing to see here, do your own homework.

I've got it to write me some blogs. I've needed to tailor the wording a fair bit but it did my research and planning for me. I just reworded to
    my style 
  • Chap on the radio said he used it to write a letter of appeal to get off a parking ticket and it worked a treat.

I'll get round to trying it. I hear it's free and takes about an hour to set up. There are paid for versions that are not the original product.
  • No setup, just chat.openai.com/chat
  • I've tried it a couple of times, not very successfully.

It's very good at taking text from the Internet and recombining it into new text, but the source material has to be there in the first place, ideally written by a human, for it to be useful.

But even then, it's difficult to know when it is correct.

Probably quite useful for producing a first draft that you can then edit.

• Thats a shame... Just tried to see if it could write the Match Preview on my behalf for Saturday - The data is has doesn't cover this season 
  • Charltonlife.com is a forum for supporters of Charlton Athletic Football Club, so the main protagonists on the website are likely to be Charlton fans who participate in the discussions and debates on the forum. As an AI language model, I don't have access to user-specific information or individual identities on the website, but I can provide some general information about the main themes discussed on the forum.

From my knowledge cutoff date of September 2021, some of the main themes on Charltonlife.com include:

1. Charlton Athletic Football Club: Discussions about the club's performances, results, players, managers, and staff are a major theme on the forum. Fans share their opinions, predictions, and analysis of the team's games, tactics, and transfers.

2. Fan Culture: Charltonlife.com is a platform for Charlton fans to connect and share their experiences, stories, and memories of supporting the club. Fans discuss topics like matchday rituals, chants, songs, and fan events.

3. Off-Topic Discussions: The forum also has sections for discussions unrelated to Charlton Athletic, such as music, movies, politics, and general chat.

4. Club Ownership and Management: The ownership and management of Charlton Athletic have been a contentious issue in recent years, with fans expressing their frustrations and concerns about the direction of the club.

It's important to note that the themes discussed on Charltonlife.com can change over time, and my knowledge cutoff is from September 2021, so there may be newer developments on the website since then

• Thats a shame... Just tried to see if it could write the Match Preview on my behalf for Saturday - The data is has doesn't cover this season 
    It does - I tried the same, it says 0-2 defeat., Penney to have a stinker and Aneke to come off “injured”( which, if he wasn’t “injured”) would have happened.
  • Just watched John Oliver tonight who did a feature on Chat GPT & AI. It does not appear to have been up loaded to YouTube yet, but if you get a chance to see it, its worth it, very scary on how this could develop let alone where it is now.
  • Sponsored links:

• It can be a bit generic sometimes.

Here is info about a Millwall fan forum.

Some of the write up is not very different to the CL one above.

• Think it's crap tbh. Well overrated. 
  • The artificial intelligence research lab OpenAI has released GPT-4, the latest version of the groundbreaking AI system that powers ChatGPT, which it says is more creative, less likely to make up facts and less biased than its predecessor.

Calling it “our most capable and aligned model yet”, OpenAI cofounder Sam Altman said the new system is a “multimodal” model, which means it can accept images as well as text as inputs, allowing users to ask questions about pictures. The new version can handle massive text inputs and can remember and act on more than 20,000 words at once, letting it take an entire novella as a prompt.

This version has to be paid for.

• The artificial intelligence research lab OpenAI has released GPT-4, the latest version of the groundbreaking AI system that powers ChatGPT, which it says is more creative, less likely to make up facts and less biased than its predecessor.

Calling it “our most capable and aligned model yet”, OpenAI cofounder Sam Altman said the new system is a “multimodal” model, which means it can accept images as well as text as inputs, allowing users to ask questions about pictures. The new version can handle massive text inputs and can remember and act on more than 20,000 words at once, letting it take an entire novella as a prompt.

This version has to be paid for.

I’m interested to see this in action.  I think the whole thing is pretty fascinating 
  • I'm still working out how best to use it/when to trust it for my own purposes.

Me: Which nationality of fans were most opposed to the European super League?

ChatGPT (two days ago): <reasonable answer, including that English fans opposed it specially strongly>. This agrees with my perception at the time.
    ChatGPT (today): <generic answer that many fans in Europe were opposed to it>. No special mention of English fans.

Me: Why did the European super League consist of only permanent members?
    ChatGPT: <the answer mentions that founding members are always in the league> Does not mention that five members would have been admitted on merit each season, as I found on Wikipedia.

So my ChatGPT conclusions for today are:

- the content of answers varies with time
    - ChatGPT seems not to contradict any assumptions in the question e.g. I asked it "why Charlton had only won the premier League four times?" The answer was roughly that it was because of the intense competition in the premier League and of financial difficulties in the club.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Think it's crap tbh. Well overrated. 
    Did you ask it to rate Scott Fraser?
  • I’ve only used it for 5 days, but I’m a big fan.
    As English isn’t my first language, polished professional business English isn’t my strongest point (I’m OK, but heaps of room for improvement).
    However, with ChatGPT I just write whatever I want to say to a client it in my own words and then asks it do it for me. I tell how many words I want it in as well.
    And even better - I actually learn from this, so will improve my writing skills.
  • I asked it to write me a haiku about Charlton - i think it's bloody brilliant

On the Valley's grass,
    Charlton's warriors battle,
    Red and white unite.

• I've been trying out the others recently. Bard, the Google one, is very similar as far as I can tell. Bing's version does a better job of citing sources which is useful if you don't trust the answers. I am using them a lot to save time on basic searches (not having to get results, scroll through them and select them etc.) but what concerns me is that they are scraping those sites, and if we are not visiting them, they won't have the ad revenue to exist. 

• Sponsored links:

• i don't believe this is artificial intelligence; it's programming. There is no self awareness. Self awareness is about recognising and understanding ourselves and interfering/breaking/rebelling/doing something different. Autonomy. This chat thing does not have that ability. It's just a google search with slightly better human programming. It's not going to ever be any more than it was programmed to be. 

The only thing that is scary is the fact that people programme these things. Because there is nothing scarier than the human mind/ability to hurt others. 
  • On Reddit there was a post where ChatGPT was doing a rap battle with a user and then They set it up to do a rap battle against Bard 
  • i don't believe this is artificial intelligence; it's programming.
    You're right - I don't think it's technically called AI rather than Machine Learning. 
  • I’ve tested it out by asking to to develop code in R and Python. Useful, but not great as when a certain part of the code or a package doesn’t work, it offers an alternative and if that doesn’t work, it sends you back to the original solution and you end up going round in circles. Fine if you know how to adapt it and fix it yourself, not great if you want a full solution.

on the flip side, I’ve fired a few interview questions at it and it’s given better answers than my brain could 😂
  • edited March 2023
    I'm a freelance CD / Copywriter and I have clients sending me taglines that ChatGPT has come up with 'for reference.' They are not useable, they read like direct-sales copy from the 70's (e.g. 'This [Product] is the stuff of dreams!') but I've started using it to brainstorm some angles before I get started. It's actually quite a useful tool.

I know that brand strategists are also using it a lot since it can churn out a paradox like nobody's business. 
  • I asked it for directions from Edinburgh to a specific hotel on the west coast of Scotland and it got the last 5-6 miles totally wrong. I think what is worrying is that it never says it has knowledge gaps. I’m not at the point of trusting it beyond stuff I know.
  • edited March 2023
    It also doesn’t source statistics etc automatically but if you prompt it to it will. I asked it to build a Gantt chart today for a specific project and it churned it out instantly. Not as a visual, but as a table I could copy and design. You’ve got to be ultra specific with it.