Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2022 - 2023

Barca on now on ITV 4 , 1 nil up already!

Comments

• 1-1 , 5 minutes gone!
  • 1-3 Barcelona.

Booooo
  • Doesn't seem to have hit the UK news yet but revelations here in Spain today that FC Barcelona paid just under 1.5m euros between 2016 and 2018 to the vice president of the referees baord here in Spain. Take a minute to think what you might want for a series of 33 payments of varying amounts between 30,000 euros (the smallest) and 90,000 euros (the biggest). The president of FCB has not denied the claims, but in a piece of spin worthy of ESI, claimed it was 'interesting' thta these claims should come to light just as the team are playing well, and threatened legal actions against anyone who defamed the name of FC Barcelona. I also saw another quote which said the payments were 'to ensure the referees were neutral' which is about as bizarre a claim as you could hope for. 
    The maximum penalty for trying to bribe referees is for the club to be automatically relegated, and if this is true, I hope they get a big drop for this. But Spain and Spanish football tend to be very protective of elites and their big two football clubs and I imagine Barça will consider paying more money to try and muddy the waters and get some slap on the wrist fine.
  • Doesn't seem to have hit the UK news yet but revelations here in Spain today that FC Barcelona paid just under 1.5m euros between 2016 and 2018 to the vice president of the referees baord here in Spain. Take a minute to think what you might want for a series of 33 payments of varying amounts between 30,000 euros (the smallest) and 90,000 euros (the biggest). The president of FCB has not denied the claims, but in a piece of spin worthy of ESI, claimed it was 'interesting' thta these claims should come to light just as the team are playing well, and threatened legal actions against anyone who defamed the name of FC Barcelona. I also saw another quote which said the payments were 'to ensure the referees were neutral' which is about as bizarre a claim as you could hope for. 
    The maximum penalty for trying to bribe referees is for the club to be automatically relegated, and if this is true, I hope they get a big drop for this. But Spain and Spanish football tend to be very protective of elites and their big two football clubs and I imagine Barça will consider paying more money to try and muddy the waters and get some slap on the wrist fine.
    This does not shock me at all and I would not be surprised if in goes on in other leagues.
  • Very uncomfortable scenes in Valencia after Vinicius Jr was on the receiving end of racist abuse from the crowd.
    Pointed out to the ref who was supposed to initiate protocols but ended up sending Vinicius Jr off instead 🤷‍♀️
    Seems to have uncovered a very ugly problem in La Liga 😞
  • edited May 2023
    Very uncomfortable scenes in Valencia after Vinicius Jr was on the receiving end of racist abuse from the crowd.
    Pointed out to the ref who was supposed to initiate protocols but ended up sending Vinicius Jr off instead 🤷‍♀️
    la liga president essentially pointing the finger at vinicius for failing to turn up to meetings, as if he deserved it just makes it look worse - if that was even possible. Valencia not responding in the best way either. 

A real problem in spain with racism.
  • The poor guy was literally crying & Anchelotti asked him if he wanted to come off before he was actually sent off.
    Awful 😞
  • Remember England players getting monkey chants playing Spain at the Bernabeu. Shaun Wright-Phillips playing so must be about 15 years ago. Seems not much has changed.

Very poor handling of the situation from all parties (except the victim, obviously). Not that difficult to get this stuff right.
  • Very uncomfortable scenes in Valencia after Vinicius Jr was on the receiving end of racist abuse from the crowd.
    la liga president essentially pointing the finger at vinicius for failing to turn up to meetings, as if he deserved it just makes it look worse - if that was even possible. Valencia not responding in the best way either. 

A real problem in spain with racism.
    Hi Vinicius, thanks for attending the meeting, now we have decided we will send an email to all clubs, saying down with this type of thing, but in the meantime could you also play your part and just tone down the blackness please, theres a good fella
  • Sponsored links:

• My aunt and uncle (who was Spanish) lived in Spain for many years .. my aunt always opined that Spain was a very racist country
  • My aunt and uncle (who was Spanish) lived in Spain for many years .. my aunt always opined that Spain was a very racist country
    i know some one who's parents owned a house in spain, but were told to rent it out when they weren't there for 6 months etc by the locals who said that otherwise "the africans will move in".

Friend's parents might be a bit racist themselves...
  • Disgusting scene's in Valencia, but this has been building for a while in the absence of any real official action. Both Atletico Madrid and Valenvia met the arrival of Real Madrid at the respective stadia with a massed chant of 'Vinicius you are a monkey".
    This morning there has finally been some real condemnation, and a few guarded suggestions that therefore should abandon the game and award the points to the other team. Until something concrete happens, this will continue.
    As a b-side, two of the racists have been banned for life from Valencia CF, but there were a lot more than two offering racist chants.
    He was sent off for whacking a Valencia player. What was ridiculous though is the Valencia player who had him practically in a headlock got away with it. Turns out VAR only showed Vinicius' retaliation to the ref and not the original incident. 

As a result though, the Spanish federation and refs committee have fired all 6 VAR officials in charge for the game. 
  • Yep, I saw what he was sent off for. By that time the poor lad was beside himself. Hardly surprising he reacted. But the WWF that the opposition player got away with smacks of complete bias.

Glad the VAR officials have been given the tin tack. Doubt they’ll be the last either.

See the eejits who hung the Vinicius effigy of the bridge were arrested yesterday. Only happen four months ago. Amazing coincidence 🙄
  • Tebas' latest response to Vinicius which is a little bit more diplomatic than his first post, as he obviously got a lot of backlash.

The irony of course is that in point 1 he says Spain isn't racist. Then in point 3 says they've reported NINE instances of racial abuse this season. 
  • Tebas' latest response to Vinicius which is a little bit more diplomatic than his first post, as he obviously got a lot of backlash.

The irony of course is that in point 1 he says Spain isn't racist. Then in point 3 says they've reported NINE instances of racial abuse this season
    And that's just in La Liga.
  • One of the nastier aspects of a nasty business is that while the latest statement rather downplays the incidence, sayin that they always go after the offenders 'no matter how few' the fact is that some of the stuff being chanted was being done by possible hundred of people (depending how you read the videos). Once it's got to that stage, saying that Spain isn't racist, or La Liga isn't racist is a bit off tack. Countries aren't racist in themselves, but there are racists in probably every country you could visit, But in Spain, it seems possible for the racism to get so out of hand that we get scene's like sunday. So racists feel they can do that and it's just part  of the football experience. If Tebas want's to play this down as a rare occurence, he should probably avoid Spanish TV whch showed three incnidents with Vinicius from this season alone every half hour this morning. His definition of 'relentless' is probably an unusual one in that light.
  • Next step. Response. The Spanish league have taken away the red card Vinicius was given on Sunday. Following on, they have closed tha area of the terraces in the Valencia stadium where it all kicked off.
    And Valencia CF have protested in the strongest terms the 'disproportionate and unfair'  response to the incident. Really when there should have been an acceptance that this had gone too far and it was time to make a stand against racism, Valencia CF have decided to be victims.
  • Closing a section of their ground for 5 matches and fining the club 45k is all well and good, but will it really bother the fans? Most Spanish sides don't sell out anyway unless Barca or Real are in town so they'll just move to another part of the stadium.

I think until we see proper action such as points deductions then i'm not sure much will change.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great to see Granada promoted back in La Liga at the first attempt. Made hard work of it over recent weeks but got there in the end. Hopefully get to a match or two next season. 
  • Chaz Hill said:
    Great to see Granada promoted back in La Liga at the first attempt. Made hard work of it over recent weeks but got there in the end. Hopefully get to a match or two next season. 
    We follow UD Las Palmas who just scrapped an automatic spot alongside Granada. The last few weeks have been hairy to say the least . Out there for 6 weeks Oct/Nov so hoping to take in a couple of games as well. 
  • Chaz Hill said:
    Great to see Granada promoted back in La Liga at the first attempt. Made hard work of it over recent weeks but got there in the end. Hopefully get to a match or two next season. 
    We follow UD Las Palmas who just scrapped an automatic spot alongside Granada. The last few weeks have been hairy to say the least . Out there for 6 weeks Oct/Nov so hoping to take in a couple of games as well. 
    It certainly was an interesting last few weeks they were all making it difficult for themselves. So many possible outcomes on Saturday. Well done to Las Palmas and hopefully a successful time next season.
  • Benzema leaves Real to go and outscore Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia.

Real to go for Kane?  Presume Spurs would rather sell him abroad than within the PL.
  • Poxy Barcelona lose at Celta, guaranteeing another top flight season for Celta. 

(although Valladolid could have escaped with a win against getafe which wasn't beyond the bounds of possibility, but they grabbed a uselss 0-0 and drop back to the 2nd division.
  • Seven people have been punished for acts of racism towards Real Madrid's Brazil forward Vinicius Jr.

Four men were fined 60,001 euros (£51,700) and given a two-year stadium ban for hanging an effigy of Vinicius Jr near Real's training ground in January.

The four men were arrested 11 days ago and released on bail by a Madrid court.

Three other people were fined 5,000 euros (£4,300) and banned for one year for making racist gestures during Real's game at Valencia on 21 May.