Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My daughter & her Olympic Dream!

I hope this is ok to post on here, feel free to ignore if not.

My daughter, born in Woolwich at the QEH a few days before Dennis in the last minute at Selhurst is now 17. We moved to Canada in 2005 & she has become somewhat of a bright prospect in the world of Cross Country skiing. So much so that she has been snapped up by Team GB & has the Winter Olympics firmly in her sights - if things go to plan she will be skiing for the senior team within the next two years. 

We just recieved the news though that UK Sport (the government funding body) has drastically cut the funding for Alpine & Cross Country skiing in favour of the “more diverse” freestyle events. This puts everyone in elite level skiing a difficult situation - there is now a fight to keep both sports going at a World Class level - while this dissapointing decision is fought and resolved.

Why dissapointing? Because in both “old school” disciplines - the small British teams punch well above their weight - with athletes achieving World Cup podiums on a regular basis - however the lack of medals in Beijjing meant a loss of funding.

So to cut a long story short - if you have any interest in snow sports, Team GB & helping a young Charlton fan achieve her Olympic dream - every donation helps to keep the dream alive! In return I’ll take you out on the trails here in beautiful Banff/Lake Louise the next time you pass this way 😁

Comments

• We love the cross country and Biathlon. Good luck to you’re daughter, we had our honeymoon in Calgary/Banff and love the place. 
  • Thanks WelshAddick - the sport has been a revelation to is since we moved here - obviously the UK lacks snow (although there are on snow clubs in Scotland). There is a thriving Roller Ski club in London as its undoubtedly one of the best ways to build strength and endurance - definitely a good way to get fit! 

Glad you enjoyed Calgary/Banff - I think we will be seeing more Brits on the ski hills this season.

Many thanks to all those who have contributed so far - I will keep you updated on her progress. She moves to Norway next month!

• Congratulations and fantastic news. Good luck and please keep us informed as to how well she does. 
  • Congratulations and fantastic news. Good luck and please keep us informed as to how well she does. 
    thanks mate & most shockingly has been the absolute decline of CAFC since the moment we left these shores! 2nd on the day we left, followed by an absolutely shocking run of 4 points in the next 8 matches & we have never recovered 17 years later & counting!!
  • That’s blinding G
  • That’s blinding G
    thanks mate! obviously inherited her amazing athleticism from me :smile: !!
  • Must have missed this when originally posted, but that is definitely something to be proud of.
    I had 2 friends go through the alpine ski system and represent GB at age group levels. The lack of funding is a killer, hope your daughter does well.
  • Brilliant! Good luck to her.
  • Sponsored links:

• Well done to you for keeping her focused on her dreams, as teen years often result in other distractions. 

I am moving to Sweden this year after years of planning and like Canada, they love their winter sports and also ice hockey. It really is a norm to see people in the countryside, taking exercise, skiing along the main roads, even in summer on roller skis. They have these sports on almost daily and when i asked my wife's nephew what local football team I might be able to go to watch he replied 'Ice Hockey'. I've never personally skiid, so don't get the interest, but have a slope with lifts, within half an hour so maybe will have a go.

Back on topic, please keep us posted on your daughters progress. Any chance of a Charlton beanie being on show? 
  • Nice one - let us know the days she is competing - presume will be on eurosport over here ?
  • @The Prince-e-Paul - hi mate, Sweden is an amazing place, my daughter has raced there & you are right they like their Nordic Skiing - benefits of Nordic Skiing = cheaper than Alpine, gets you fit so quickly more than any other activity  - its a whole body workout, peaceful & serene - not sure she will get to wear any Charlton colours - will do my best but its all tightly choreographed - it's a big deal in many countries

@MrOneLung - all the races are being streamed live on https://www.wjc2023.ca/livestream/ - she races in every Junior Girls event (Sat 6pm UK time, Mon 6pm UK time, Thu 6pm UK time)- Tabitha Williams (GBR) - not sure which European broadcasters will have it though

If anyone is interested in trying the sport or getting their kids into it  - https://londonnordic.org.uk/ - if you or your kids are good cyclists, swimmers, runners or athletic in any way - this is a fantastic sport...it will take you places for sure!
  • @Oakster2 - congrats. Just sent you a message. I'm back living and working in Whistler these days.
  • @Oakster2 - congrats. Just sent you a message. I'm back living and working in Whistler these days.
    love it! see you at the Dubh Linn Gate
  • Spent 10 days in Banff skiing about 18 years ago. Lovely place. -20 at the top of the chair lifts in Lake Louise. 
  • Spent 10 days in Banff skiing about 18 years ago. Lovely place. -20 at the top of the chair lifts in Lake Louise. 
    You were here on a warm day then?
  • Absolutely brilliant @Oakster2. Such a proud moment for her and the family. I will try to follow the links, but please keep us all updated. 
  • How amazing, hopefully it isn't all down hill from here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster2 said:
    Congratulations and fantastic news. Good luck and please keep us informed as to how well she does. 
    thanks mate & most shockingly has been the absolute decline of CAFC since the moment we left these shores! 2nd on the day we left, followed by an absolutely shocking run of 4 points in the next 8 matches & we have never recovered 17 years later & counting!!
    So it’s all your fault. 
  • cfgs said:
    How amazing, hopefully it isn't all down hill from here.
    Unfortunately in Cross Country Skiing it’s mostly uphill or that’s the way it seems!!

https://youtu.be/e4lCHCA8pxY
    You were here on a warm day then?
    We were there in 94 or 95. Stayed at the Chateau Lake Louise. The run buses over to the base. Went to get on one morning and we had to wait as they weren’t opening the lifts until the temperature got above -40. That when I learnt -40C is the same as -40F. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Mrs' best friends son just got silver in snowboarding at European Youth Olympics
    Got a gold now n all