Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Penney (a left back!!!) signs on loan from Ipswich Town

Comments

• Never sure when a team in the same league as you (Premier big guns aside) is happy to let a player go out on loan to a "rival". 

Prove my fears unfounded Matt. 
    I kinda share your concern, especially when Motherwell seemed keen to extend. But it may be that - and I’m serious - Ipswich dont see us as “rivals” this season. 
    No one realistically could think we are a concern to Ipswich. 
    Never lost to Ipswich in the playoffs. 

Ipswich should be careful what they think!
  • I’m just glad that our replacement of Ben ‘The Cat’ Purrington can also take over as Matt ‘The Cat’ Penney
  • Ipswich payback for us taking Herman Hreidarsson, Matt Holland , Darren Bent … here you go have this crock of guff Charlton 
    Give the guy a chance for f.ck sake
    With a team like Ipswich who sign lots of players every season there's bound to be some decent surplus, like Fraser for example. 
  • Hopefully frees up Sess to go over to the right and/or be rested as needed. And perhaps gives us an opportunity to try utility man Clare in midfield again. Having two overlapping fullbacks playing on their natural sides could unlock some more potential from this team, imo. It also (along with signing Bonne) makes 352 a better option for us to mix things up tactically. 
  • Never sure when a team in the same league as you (Premier big guns aside) is happy to let a player go out on loan to a "rival". 

I kinda share your concern, especially when Motherwell seemed keen to extend. But it may be that - and I’m serious - Ipswich dont see us as “rivals” this season. 
    Probably because we’re not.
  • Trying to think of a Pasta pun but I've been up for nearly 19 hours due to an early start and cancelled Eurostar ski train back from the alps. So someone please help me out. 

Welcome Matt
    You must be out of it, there's a really obvious one.

Let's hope he's not pasta his best.
  • I'm sure he won't let attackers walk all over him. 

A rare occasion when not being at the business end of the table is an advantage. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Never sure when a team in the same league as you (Premier big guns aside) is happy to let a player go out on loan to a "rival". 

A rare occasion when not being at the business end of the table is an advantage. 
    I fully expect us to be at "The business end of the table" come the end of the season...   ✅
  • Sponsored links:

• Common cents signing.
  • Dizzle said:
    Scoham said:
    He’s an attacking left back, not a Purrington style steady Eddie.

From the video below he likes to get forward and isn’t afraid to shoot from range.

An Ipswich fan said he’s not the best defender but good when freed up to attack.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/518999/matt-penney-doing-really-well/

https://youtu.be/5y2uZKh1l0w
    As expected just from looking at him and hearing him talk - smart price Andy Robertson of Liverpool
    'best of vids' can be/usually are deceptive .. BUT looks to be a good crosser, great left foot and loves a tough tackle .. we will see
  • edited January 2023
    Carter said:
    What we have to have is senior professionals in the squad. It isn't fair on the youth players to keep launching them in and expecting them to have the rough edges knocked off like a player with experience. 

I know nothing about him as a player but given he isn't afraid to travel to play games that tells me he has a strong character and a desire to play football. We often sign players who give me the opposite vibe, players who need everything in their favour to declare themselves fit for selection. Hope he does well for us 
    Think this is a really good post. 

Delighted to get someone in to fill a weak area, just concerned with Sess’s issue we’ll see even less of him in the run in as I think he’s one of our better players 
    I have Sess and Egbo as two of our best players this season. Such a shame that both have issues as we look so much stronger with both of them playing. 
  • If he is a defender who can’t defend he’d better be a defender who can blimmin attack!
  • Hope there's no clause in the loan saying we can't play him when we meet Ipswich in the play-off final!
    He won't be able to play against his parent club presumably. If Ipswich end up in the playoffs I can see them crashing in the semis anyway
    Are you thinking we will make the top six?
    I'm sure we're aiming for the top six. We might not make it, or we might lose in the playoffs as in 17/18, but I'm not giving up on the season with 4 months to go.
    Best we can hope for is a few more wins than pre-Xmas plus maybe a few scalps amongst the front runners ie away to Ipswich /home to Sheff Weds. Lets hope we stop shooting ourselves in the foot (feet), thats progress.
  • edited January 2023
    Another good signing. Can see This turning into a permanent if holdens here next season.
  • Hope he hasn't come here for the weather.  Balmy sixes and sevens in Motherwell.

• Hope there's no clause in the loan saying we can't play him when we meet Ipswich in the play-off final!
    He won't be able to play against his parent club presumably. If Ipswich end up in the playoffs I can see them crashing in the semis anyway
    Are you thinking we will make the top six?
    I'm sure we're aiming for the top six. We might not make it, or we might lose in the playoffs as in 17/18, but I'm not giving up on the season with 4 months to go.
    Best we can hope for is a few more wins than pre-Xmas plus maybe a few scalps amongst the front runners ie away to Ipswich /home to Sheff Weds. Lets hope we stop shooting ourselves in the foot (feet), thats progress.
    Which is what Holden so far has delivered. Too early to say whether it's a permanent improvement or just temporary new manager bounce of course.

And playing well against the best teams hasn't been the problem, it's the lack of points from the poorer teams which has really cost us.
  • seth plum said:
    If he is a defender who can’t defend he’d better be a defender who can blimmin attack!
    Language Seth. Language 
  • Valley11 said:
    Motherwell fans on Penney: 

Sounds promising.
  • Sponsored links:

• "When I heard Charlton were interested I could not turn down this wonderful opportunity".
  • edited January 2023
  • at last the penny dropped with someone that we needed a left back.
  • Carter said:
    What we have to have is senior professionals in the squad. It isn't fair on the youth players to keep launching them in and expecting them to have the rough edges knocked off like a player with experience. 

I know nothing about him as a player but given he isn't afraid to travel to play games that tells me he has a strong character and a desire to play football. We often sign players who give me the opposite vibe, players who need everything in their favour to declare themselves fit for selection. Hope he does well for us 
    Bang on the money…

😁
  • Penny could be heard singing "Scotland's a shithole, I wanna go home" as he left the Motherwell training ground
  • I like that we are signing players on loan who don't have long left on their contracts. Prove themselves and we could sign them permanently, if they don't do well we can send them back without any risk.
    It's a pragmatic approach but I like it. Low risk but potentially could make things easier in the summer if its a case of dealing with players already in the building.

I'm also pleased that we have signed/been linked with players who have actual experience at this level or above rather than more taking chances on L2 prospects again.
  • We have to hope he bucks the recent trend for arrivals breaking down catastrophically within minutes of taking the field.
    A left footed left back was up there in the crowded field of Charlton's moronic summer "recruitment" fiasco.
    He'll provide the critical natural balance.  Ever more important as Sess's serious frailty becomes apparent.
    As we've seen in recent years, acquitting favourably in SPL should equate to suitable competence in the English 3rd division.
    Welcome Matt Penney.  If you find yourself lining up behind one Charlie Kirk you'll have no protection or assistance while he's on the pitch, everybody else is at least OK but don't be tempted to play any passes across the backline to Ryan Inniss or Sam Lavelle, they're both hapless donkeys, get it quickly as far up the pitch away from them as possible and your contribution to defensive suicide will be kept to a minimum.
    Keep it simple and look like you're giving it plenty in Charlton red and you'll be loved here in SE7.  Here's to a bountiful spring.
  • now we have a left back and right back sorted it’ll be interesting to see whether Sean Clare will be deployed in midfield at all