Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Poor old Zak. Another duck.

Despite the rhetoric coming from the England camp about him being a match winner, he still has yet to prove that to be the case. After all, how many match winning performances can anyone actually recall him making from his 32 games?

His overall average is 28.30 which is poor but then take out his three biggest innings, two against weak Pakistan attacks on roads of 289 (drawn) and 122 (one of 7 hundreds in the first innings of the match) plus the 121 against the West Indies (drawn) and this average drops to 19.71 with no less than 27 single digit scores from those 53 innings.

McCullum and Stokes will continue to back Crawley all the time we are winning Tests and providing he gets the odd big score. However, if that doesn't happen then there really will be even less justification than there is now for persevering with him. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Appeal for caught down the leg side - Foakes off Robinson - soft signal is not out (but that has no relevance unless technology isn't working) and it is given out!

117-3 at lunch
    The IPL has done away with the soft signal, but there's no report from the ICC that they have changed the protocol on soft signals, and it's officially still in place in the World Test Championship. 

Where does the suggestion that the soft signal is now only used if the technology isn't working come from? And, if that is the case - contrary to the ICC - why are the umpires still soft signalling?
    Sky sports commentators keep saying that's the case and the soft signal is only there in case DRS isn't working.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Poor old Zak. Another duck.

Despite the rhetoric coming from the England camp about him being a match winner, he still has yet to prove that to be the case. After all, how many match winning performances can anyone actually recall him making from his 32 games?

His overall average is 28.30 which is poor but then take out his three biggest innings, two against weak Pakistan attacks on roads of 289 (drawn) and 122 (one of 7 hundreds in the first innings of the match) plus the 121 against the West Indies (drawn) and this average drops to 19.71 with no less than 27 single digit scores from those 53 innings.

McCullum and Stokes will continue to back Crawley all the time we are winning Tests and providing he gets the odd big score. However, if that doesn't happen then there really will be even less justification than there is now for persevering with him. 
    I was going to say this about the Parkinson selection, or not, yesterday but forgot.  But I feel the same is true with Crawley.

Crawley isn't in the team to score lots of runs or see off the new ball.  He is in the team to score quickly.  I think England's fastest ever 100 opening partnerships were the last test of the summer and the first innings in Pakistan.  They aren't bothered about him scoring 100s if he scores quick 50s once every 2 or 3 tests.

He will probably end his test career with an average in the early 30s but with more "moments" than someone who averaged 10 more.

Parkinson isn't picked because they don't feel he can take enough wickets, rightly or wrongly.  I think England would rather a bowler that 5for at 5 in 20 overs than someone that might take 3 for 100 off 50 overs.

England now, in all formats, will always pick a Stokes over a Woakes.  I hope they carry on TBH. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Appeal for caught down the leg side - Foakes off Robinson - soft signal is not out (but that has no relevance unless technology isn't working) and it is given out!

117-3 at lunch
    The IPL has done away with the soft signal, but there's no report from the ICC that they have changed the protocol on soft signals, and it's officially still in place in the World Test Championship. 

Where does the suggestion that the soft signal is now only used if the technology isn't working come from? And, if that is the case - contrary to the ICC - why are the umpires still soft signalling?
    Sky sports commentators keep saying that's the case and the soft signal is only there in case DRS isn't working.
    I don't think they're right. 
  • Options
    Brook really didn't want to celebrate ehis fifty there! 
  • Options
    "Excellent on-field decision from the umpire" there has to be the worst bit of commentary of 2022 lol
  • Options
    Yeah awful call
  • Options
    Well batted Harry Brook. Yet again.
  • Options
    A calamity run-out of the skipper would have fucked many previous England sides. In this one, you just laugh it off and keep doing what you do
  • Options
    That said, England seem determined to give Pakistan's negative line of attack a sniff of working! Dangerous game, but it is their way...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    254-5 at tea and 50 behind

Brook 108* (141)
    Foakes 42* (85)
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Brook's scores in this series:

108*

465 runs @ an average of 116.25 and strike rate of 94.51
  • Options
    Brook LBW Nelson to go with the 87 he got earlier in the series. Needs to find a lucky charm. And quick too because I can't see him having much of a career with that sort of misfortune. 

262-6
  • Options
    Rehan Ahmed, by all accounts, bats as he bowls. With plenty of attacking instinct.
  • Options
    Rehan Ahmed, by all accounts, bats as he bowls. With plenty of attacking instinct.
    And so it proved!
  • Options
    Pathetic immature batting. 
  • Options
    50 to Foakes. Excellent work

266-7
  • Options
    Brook LBW Nelson to go with the 87 he got earlier in the series. Needs to find a lucky charm. And quick too because I can't see him having much of a career with that sort of misfortune. 

262-6
    If he keeps getting out for 87 and 111, I think he'll live with that! Better than having "0" as your unlucky number...
  • Options
    Pathetic immature batting. 
    Ahmed will have been told to express himself. He got there but the execution was somewhat lacking and he totally lost his shape in playing the shot. But then he is 18. And he will learn to be a bit more composed when playing that shot but there is no way he would have done so without the approval of McCullum and Stokes because that is the way he bats. 
  • Options
    Wood has quite a few FC fifties. Weirdly I think the requirements of this new style of Test cricket will do wonders for his average. He can play as he likes. Play the Swann role
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Wood has quite a few FC fifties. Weirdly I think the requirements of this new style of Test cricket will do wonders for his average. He can play as he likes. Play the Swann role
    Sadly some pathetic immature batting did for him
  • Options
    Pathetic and dare I say immature from Foakes
  • Options
    Wonder if Leach will be solid and sagely
  • Options
    50 lead is a great effort by the tail
  • Options
    Just flashed up the bowling scorecard. Almost literally a three-man attack. Will it be enough?
  • Options
    From 53-0 to 54-3 (all three wickets to Leach) to 142-3 off 48 overs for a lead of 92 runs, Have only just caught up with things but, presumably, there is a reason why Ahmed hasn't bowled today given that he only went for 2 runs off 2 overs yesterday? The seamers have bowled 23 overs without success after all. 
  • Options
    From 53-0 to 54-3 (all three wickets to Leach) to 142-3 off 48 overs for a lead of 92 runs, Have only just caught up with things but, presumably, there is a reason why Ahmed hasn't bowled today given that he only went for 2 runs off 2 overs yesterday? The seamers have bowled 23 overs without success after all. 
    No obvious reason why he hasn't.  Stokes use of himself as a bowler is interesting.  No overs in the previous match, none in the first innings, 8 on the reel today.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    No obvious reason why he hasn't.  Stokes use of himself as a bowler is interesting.  No overs in the previous match, none in the first innings, 8 on the reel today.
    Stokes must be on CL because, within minutes, he's on!
  • Options
    209 is the record chase for England in Pakistan
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Thanks skipper! 4 overthrows from Stokes off Ahmed hands Babar his 50 and over that should have gone for 4 goes for 8 instead

But then Ahmed bowls a short one for a change and Babar smashes it straight to Pope at short midwicket!