Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Man Who Bought Cricket.

I have just watched back to back, the three riveting episodes of this truly superb documentary.
Allen Stanford….a rags to riches conman of the first order.
Sky Documentary Channel…..for those who have it.
Thoroughly absorbing and an eye opener for one and all, I can recommend it for its sheer audacity.

Comments

• Childish but I can't ever look at Matt Prior without laughing thinking of his Mrs sat on Stanfords knee
  • There’s an excellent series on BBC sounds (Sports strangest crimes - Allen Stanford the man who bought cricket) as well. It’s the sort of story if you wrote it as a screenplay, you’d be asked to tone it down to make it more believable.
  • There’s an excellent series on BBC sounds (Sports strangest crimes - Allen Stanford the man who bought cricket) as well. It’s the sort of story if you wrote it as a screenplay, you’d be asked to tone it down to make it more believable.
    The Greg James one?  Very good, that.

Crazy in hindsight the lengths we went to in an attempt to stave off a few players wanting to play in the IPL.

Look what good franchise cricket abroad has done Buttler, Curran etc and the white ball team.
    The Greg James one?  Very good, that.

Crazy in hindsight the lengths we went to in an attempt to stave off a few players wanting to play in the IPL.

Look what good franchise cricket abroad has done Buttler, Curran etc and the white ball team.
    Yes, that's the one.

The only good news is that unless he lives to be 150 he won't be able to buy CAFC.
  • I thought it was Kerry Packer who bought cricket.
  • I wonder how he gets on in prison, his character is that he’ll always be trying to scam someone, trouble for him is that that kind of behaviour won’t be tolerated in prison
  • Maybe he was warming up buying cricket and his next target was the football world cup...as if anyone could do that.
  • I thought it was Kerry Packer who bought cricket.
    He rented it for a while 
  • edited November 2022
    I wonder how he gets on in prison, his character is that he’ll always be trying to scam someone, trouble for him is that that kind of behaviour won’t be tolerated in prison
    As a matter of fact he got very badly beaten up a while back (during his sentence of course)……..though I don’t know who by or the reason why.
    Can anyone throw some light on this?

• edited November 2022
    I wonder how he gets on in prison, his character is that he’ll always be trying to scam someone, trouble for him is that that kind of behaviour won’t be tolerated in prison
    As a matter of fact he got very badly beaten up a while back (during his sentence of course)……..though I don’t know who by or the reason why.
    Can anyone throw some light on this?

In September 2009 he was beaten up by another inmate at a privately-run detention facility in Conroe, Texas.  He was hospitalised, but his injuries weren't life threatening.  This was before his trial.  His legal team tried to claim that the injuries he received caused amnesia and therefore he should not stand trial.  

Because of time served, his sentence has significantly less time to run that the prosecutors had demanded.  He could be released as soon as March 2103.  
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s quite a long sentence Chizz
    Nah, used punctuation and paragraphs 
    110 years. 

I think they wanted to be certain he isn't going to be a repeat offender. 
    For Chizz, anything over five words is a long sentence.
  • Cheers for the tip @SoundAsa£ - was a good watch