Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worst flight..?

What's your worst experience flying?  Have you ever got the wrong flight?  Or found yourself next to the wrong passenger on an aircraft?  Maybe you've had a terrible experience with cabin crew.  Or been turned around because you had the wrong paperwork.  

Share..!

Comments

• Jet2 plane diverts halfway from Canaries so passengers can use the loo

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jet2-flight-diversion-toilet-b2217513.html
  • edited November 2022
    Had a few. Flying back from the Canaries on a flight that left Gran canaria at 03.30 in the orning, I stretched out to try and sleep a bit a put my legs in the ails. One of the stewardesses walde past and literally kicked them back under the seat. 
    One from Munich to Sofia was a breeze until we went into the clouds on the descent, where the turbulence was absolutley crazy. Bounced around like a kite in a storm, and when we popped out of the cloud base and had the lights in Sofia as a reference, you could see just how awful it was. We got off and I assumed there would be a gale blowing, but the lightest of breezes was all there was. Horrible.
  • Not the worst ever but I did have a shitty landing experience once. I was on a plane landing at Gatwick once in terrible weather. The wind was bashing us around and the wings dipping to a degree that made me wonder if it was even possible to land. And a few seconds before we were about to touch down the pilot went "fuck this" and accelerated, taking us back into the air. We circled for half an hour and tried again. That half hour was terrifying as the weather got worse and nobody told us exactly why we hadn't landed. When the air stewards look freaked out you know it's time to pray! 
  • Chizz said:

Jet2 plane diverts halfway from Canaries so passengers can use the loo

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/jet2-flight-diversion-toilet-b2217513.html
    2 of the 4 loos were out of order on my EasyJet from Gatwick to Lanzarote last week. Thankfully no diversions needed.
  • Surely the worst flight is one that doesn’t arrive?
  • Going on a long weekend break to Malaga one February. Flying easyJet from Gatwick. Early evening flight, 18:00 hours ish. Very very very windy and wet with driving rain and the take off was spectacularly bumpy and you could really feel the plane being Buffetted on the runway. Once airborn the pilot came over the air and apologised for the take off and informed us that the runway we had just taken off from had now been closed due to the weather conditions. Landings were being diverted to Standstead, Luton and East Midlands. 
  • Two years ago I turned up at Gatwick with my Mrs and the grandkids. 
    We were supposed to be going to Rhodes for two weeks. 
    When we got to passport control we were informed that we couldn't fly as we had not filled out the Covid on line forms correctly. 
    My Mrs thought it only applied to over 18s. 
    The grandkids at the time were aged 10 and 8.
    Because of Covid every help desk was closed and there was no one to help us sort the problem out.
    Bottom line is I lost the best part of 5k as I couldn't claim back any money as the mistake was made by me and not the airline. 
    We tried to reapply the online forms and book a later flight but we couldn't. 
    Never felt so pissed off in my life I can tell you.
  • Sponsored links:

When we got to passport control we were informed that we couldn't fly as we had not filled out the Covid on line forms correctly. 
    Because of Covid every help desk was closed and there was no one to help us sort the problem out.
    Bottom line is I lost the best part of 5k as I couldn't claim back any money as the mistake was made by me and not the airline. 
    Ouch
  • Theres a few on Air Crash Investigation.
  • Being delayed by nearly 24 hours back in 1985 - the plane we were due to take was the one that caught fire on the runway in Manchester!
  • Had a very bumpy flight from Vegas to LA some years back; cabin crew falling all over the place as plane struggled to gain height. Also had a very windy flight out of Denver where we got blown all over the place for the first couple of hours. They were the scariest...

Another "worst" one was coming back from Bali. After changing in Singapore, we flew 14 hours back to London...which was fog-bound! The pilot said he didn't have enough juice to do many go-arounds so we diverted to Manchester. We sat on the ground there for two hours (away from the terminal so nobody - even those bound for Manchester! - could get off) and re-fueled, then flew back down to Heathrow. 19 hours on one plane equalled a very sore bottom!

Finally, my most memorable "worst" flight was coming back from New York on Virgin in 1991. Basically, and to cut a long story short, we had to land in Newfoundland due to a fire alarm going off in the hold and the oxygen masks deploying. The airfield was not able to service the jumbo jet, and we were eventually bussed off to a hotel for a few hours, 50 miles away (Newfie is not used to putting up 350 people with no notice!). Another plane arrived the next evening, and we left some 24 hours after first getting on the plane in New York. It didn't end there...we got back to Gatwick only to be fog-bound and had to divert to Heathrow so anyone with revised connecting flights etc was royally stuffed again! The plane "catching fire" made the papers (a small side-piece only). I was given a refund of one free flight anywhere I wanted on Virgin due to the delay (and took it the next year flying home from SF).
  • Did Malta a few years back. Again a trip to watch Ireland. Same pal as had been with me in Portugal, we had a great time in St Julian’s Bay. Bar laid on a coach to the national stadium, everyone had a great time and our last night (Thursday) was spent drinking with all our “new mates”. Fell into our beds about 3am and woke up a little late for the flight home. Stuffed everything into our bags and ran down to reception for a cab. They just looked at us weirdly and asked what we were doing. They had us booked in for another night.

For the first time, I actually checked the tickets and they were right 🤦🏻‍♂️  I’d specifically told the travel agent we needed to come back on the Friday. Mate was going to a wedding with his gf and I was going to the Charlton game. They’d said no problem at all.

I spent the next hour on the phone to the airline to see if we could get another flight. After searching for ages, the girl on the phone came back and said “I’ve only got seats on one flight”.  OK says I. “It’s the one you’re on tomorrow” says she. My response was a little short to say the least.

Made the most of it. Walked back into the bar we’d made home, got a lot of funny looks and did it all again.

The flight home was uneventful, although my pal wasn’t with his gf for long after that 🤷🏻‍♂️😱😂
  • I've had two aborted take-offs which both had sharp braking and skidding. One was with Philippines Airlines from Manila to Hong Kong, and the other was Air Asia from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur. They were only a few months apart.

I also had a dodgy landing coming from Newcastle to Gatwick in very high winds. The pilot managed to land the plane on the third attempt. It didn't help that there were 3 or 4 off-duty BA crew on the flight, two of whom were screaming. After we landed, the pilot amused me and said, "I can tell you that we are the last plane coming into Gatwick tonight. The Air France plane that was due in behind us has turned back to Paris". I sensed the pilot was making a point - England 1 France 0.
  • A toss up between Ashley Giles and Jack Leach 
  • A toss up between Ashley Giles and Jack Leach 
    Ted Hankey.
  • Flying over the amazon rainforest in Peru I think. Very turbulent and hit a few airpockets where the plane just drops. Genuinely thought that was it.
  • Sponsored links:

• about 10 years ago I'd booked flights from Stanstead to Glasgow for me and my boss for a meeting in our Glasgow office about 11am. Left ourselves plenty of time etc when we landed. Lovely sunny day down south, just a suit on, no coat needed

Took off fine and then the captain comes over the intercom and says preparing to land in 10 mins......look out of window and wonder why I can see the sea?, think nothing of it and then we land and Captain says 'welcome to Glasgow Prestwick' bollocks (at this point I've no idea how far away we are)......get off plane, it's snowing (hard), come out of airport and wander up to taxi driver.

'York St please mate'
    Taxi driver 'eh?' he says
    'York St please' I say
    Taxi driver 'where?'
    me 'York St - Glasgow'
    me 'exactly how far are we from Glasgow'
    Taxi driver laughs 'about 45 mins'
    cue £80 cab ride.....

late for meeting, and realise we are booked on a return flight at 3pm..............from Prestwick - doh

take train back to the airport which takes roughly the same amount of time and cost £3.80

didn't live that one down for quite a few years !
  • Abu Simbel to Luxor, Air Sinai, flew into Abu Simbel over aircraft wreckage that had either undershot or run out of runway on landing. Visited the temple on the shores of Lake Nasser, then returned to fly back to Luxor. 
    All strapped in ,the engines spool up, and the whole plane is vibrating like a jelly on plate. Engines run down and we wait. After about 10mins a jeep appears and the door opens of the aircraft and the pilot speaks in arabic to a lad who looks like he is an extra from Raiders of the lost Ark..
    Engines run up again, vibrate, the mechanic opens a flap on the side of the right hand engine an with screw driver a chippy would use starts winding at something. Flap closes, thumbs up from the mechanic, plane taxis out to run way. 
    Engines run up vibration is now worst than ever, but we take off.  Vibration now constant and pretty violent. 45mins of sheer terror. Land back at Luxor to be meet with Red series 1 land rovers with 4/5 chaps  with fire extinguishers trailing along behind us.
    As we disembark i look into one of the engines to see fuel and oil leaking out. 

I asked our guide what were the people kissing on the way off the flight to be told, the Koran was carried behind a glass panel, and people gave thanks to Allah for arriving alive, as any plane crash was Allah will, not because of some mechanical fault.

• The bad flights are when you are sat with your wife and kids.
    I'm now interested in how the conversation with Mrs blackpool went when you got home 
    I'm now interested in how the conversation with Mrs blackpool went when you got home 
    1st and last time I ever let her sort out anything to do with booking a holiday. 
    As for our conversations over the following week.
    The less said the better. 
  • Flying to South Africa, the worst turbulence I’ve ever experienced. Went on got hours and later found out, it’s notorious for it. Flight back was equally as bad. Never again