Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BACK TO THE VALLEY CELEBRATIONS BEGIN ON 21ST OCTOBER

The club are delighted to be hosting a number of events celebrating the 30-year anniversary of its return to The Valley throughout the coming months.

These events will begin on Friday, October 21st with a celebration organised by the Charlton Athletic Supporters' Trust (CAST). 

Please see below for the full details, provided to us by CAST.

In the 10th anniversary year of the founding of Charlton Athletic Supporters' Trust we are very pleased to be able to host - in conjunction with Charlton Athletic Museum - an event to celebrate 30 years back at The Valley.

The event is one of a number which will be taking place over the next few months under the auspices of the BTTV30 committee.

On December 5th, 1992, after seven years in exile, our club played once again at the stadium that our ancestors had dug out of the chalk in 1919.

On October 21st, 2022 we are gathering at The Valley to celebrate the people who made the return possible.

Come and join us to salute the campaigners, journalists, candidates, directors and players who toiled and sweated to bring us that perfect day 30 years ago. 

Hear their story: the struggle; the conflict; the resolution; the risk and the reward. 

Hear from former club directors Roger Alwen and Martin Simons about the battles that were fought to achieve the glorious return. 

Hear from former Mercury Sports Editor Peter Cordwell and supporter Rick Everitt about the trials and tribulations of the campaign.

Hear from club legends Carl Leaburn and Bob Bolder about how it felt to play in that emotional first game against Portsmouth.

Shake their hands and thank them. Ask them the questions you've always wanted to ask. Share your own experience and memories. 

Maybe you were there on the ground digging weeds, painting the stand or in the thick of the Valley Party. Maybe you weren’t even born at the time. Either way you are very welcome to come and join us to celebrate this wonderful fan-led achievement.

It is what makes our club so special.

The evening will round off with a celebratory set from the legendary 2percent. If you love ska/bluebeat/two-tone (or even if you don’t) you will love the sound of the 2percent. 

Join us from 7pm - with the Q&A starting at 7.30pm - on Friday, October 21st in the Fans’ Bar at The Valley.

Tickets are £10 from the Ticket Office. Click here to purchase yours.

Valley Party candidates can gain FREE admission by emailing secretary@castrust.org.

Special offer for CAST members: buy your tickets through CAST and avoid the £1.50 admin fee. Email secretary@castrust.org for details of how to pay.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/back-valley-celebrations-begin-21st-october

Comments

• Brilliant - just bought two. 
  • Think this is a great idea!
  • Gutted, got to leave home at 3am the following morning as we’re going away. Looks like a great night.
  • The CAFC tweet (above) rather implies that the event is only for those who played a part in bringing us home in December 1992. 

Just in case there is any misunderstanding we'd like to stress that the evening is for everyone. We would especially like to welcome those fans who weren't even born in 1992. 
  • edited September 2022
    This can’t be right. Didn’t we have a separate  thread 

30 YEARS BACK AT THE VALLEY CELEBRATIONS PLANNED

which slated the idea of celebration and that Steve Sutherland wasn’t a good choice to chair the organising committee and ensure the right people are engaged? 😉
  • This can’t be right. Didn’t we have a separate  thread 

which slated the idea of celebration and that Steve Sutherland wasn’t a good choice to chair the organising committee and ensure the right people are engaged? 😉
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94387/30-years-back-at-the-valley-celebrations-planned#latest
  • Will Thomas come with his banjo?
  • Clive - were you a Valley Party candidate ?
  • Pico said:
    Clive - were you a Valley Party candidate ?
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Pico

Been asked if VP organisers 
    , as well as candidates, get freebies?
  • @Pico

Been asked if VP organisers 
    , as well as candidates, get freebies?
    I suggest they e mail secretary@castrust.org
  • edited September 2022

None of Valley Gold, the museum or CAST were invited to join the committee when it was announced. This event did not originate there.
  • edited September 2022
    CAST were indeed already making plans for a fan-led event to celebrate both BTTV and 10 years of the Supporters’ Trust. In the end it was possible and preferable to do this in co-operation with the club’s committee. It means we can hold it at The Valley and promote it widely.

It should be a really enjoyable evening - I’m in! 

None of Valley Gold, the museum or CAST were invited to join the committee when it was announced. This event did not originate there.
    Ok so can you expand then?

My point at the time was the original members may just have been that and did not automatically imply other stakeholders would not be involved - seems to me that may have happened.

My point at the time was the original members may just have been that and did not automatically imply other stakeholders would not be involved - seems to me that may have happened.
    See above.
  • edited September 2022
    I'm not part of the committee but my understanding is that this sort of event, remembering the exile and celebrating the role of fans and the Valley Party, wasn't part of the original plans but has been added at the suggestion of CAST and the Museum.

The other planned events are quite different in nature and focus but we'll have to wait for those to be announced
  • I couldn't stand as I had moved to Bexley but was a foot soldier :) Happy to buy my two tickets to support the event. Can't believe how time has flown!! I remember pounding the Streets with a young @seth plum .

See above.
    So all good - not blocked / not ignored. Already underway by CAST so need to reinvent the wheel etc.
  • edited September 2022

See above.
    So all good - not blocked / not ignored. Already underway by CAST so need to reinvent the wheel etc.
    The club and its committee have no ability to block such events, although I suppose they could stop them being held at The Valley. Not sure why they would do that.

A 25th anniversary event took place upstairs at the White Swan and in 2015 the 25th anniversary of the Valley Party was marked at the player of the year despite Katrien Meire’s attempt to stop that happening because the organisers stood up to her on the night.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2022
    Yes, but are you coming on October 21st ?

• Annoyingly it is on one of only three weekends between now and Christmas that I am unable to make it.   

See above.
    The club and its committee have no ability to block such events, although I suppose they could stop them being held at The Valley. Not sure why they would do that.

A 25th anniversary event took place upstairs at the White Swan and in 2015 the 25th anniversary of the Valley Party was marked at the player of the year despite Katrien Meire’s attempt to stop that happening because the organisers stood up to her on the night.
    You seem determined to take the negative approach to this & I don't really understand why. I did say or 'ignored'.

The message read to me the club were supporting / referencing as part of the overall programme and it seems a good thing.

It also seemed to me to allay some of the previously voiced concerns the event (milestone) wasn't perhaps notable enough to have a committee and programme of events and that some stakeholders would be ignored. As I said earlier - all seems positive to me at this time.

• edited September 2022

See above.

You seem determined to take the negative approach to this & I don't really understand why. I did say or 'ignored'.

The message read to me the club were supporting / referencing as part of the overall programme and it seems a good thing.

It also seemed to me to allay some of the previously voiced concerns the event (milestone) wasn't perhaps notable enough to have a committee and programme of events and that some stakeholders would be ignored. As I said earlier - all seems positive to me at this time.

You seem intent on arguing that it was all wonderful all along and this event proves that, even though it doesn’t. I’m not the one going on about it as I really couldn’t care less. 🤷‍♂️

See above.

You seem intent on arguing that it was all wonderful all along and this event proves that, even though it doesn’t. I’m not the one going on about it as I really couldn’t care less. 🤷‍♂️
    Not true. I didn't understand the negativity & the assumption it would be poor in some way. That is all.

See above.

Not true. I didn't understand the negativity & the assumption it would be poor in some way. That is all.
    I think you miss the point that a BTTV committee was formed, once again, with no one of any relevance to BTTV involved or on the committee.

If you think something like this would have been arranged if it wasn't for CAST & Museum arranging it you are sadly mistaken. AFAIK it wasn't the committee that came to those people.

The 'committee' would have, just like last time, arranged things not for most fans, but predominantly to raise money for CACT.
  • Rob7Lee said:

See above.

I think you miss the point that a BTTV committee was formed, once again, with no one of any relevance to BTTV involved or on the committee.

If you think something like this would have been arranged if it wasn't for CAST & Museum arranging it you are sadly mistaken. AFAIK it wasn't the committee that came to those people.

The 'committee' would have, just like last time, arranged things not for most fans, but predominantly to raise money for CACT.
    I think you miss my more innocent original point. I observed that the original members and chair need not mean other stakeholders would not be invited/engaged/consulted etc. and evolve over the season. 

It was a negative statement initially. This suggests all are happy to work together and it really doesn’t matter where the idea started. 
  • Look like a good night. Sorry I can’t make it. Well done to all who helped organise.