Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Commonwealth games 2022

Currently watching the opening ceremony.

Sort of London 2012 in a credit crunch.

Comments

• The bull's good.

Not so sure about Simon Le Bon's vocals!
  • The bull's good.

To be fair, you ain't the only one!
  • The bull's good.

I thought they were fine. He was never the greatest singer anyway, and doesn't sound much different from what he did 40 years ago really
  • I'm going to the cycling tomorrow, conveniently it's being held in the London Olympic velodrome.
  • edited July 2022
    Alex Yee (England) has the first Gold Medal of the Commonwealth Games

• I cursed England. No England gold's in the velodrome today, whereas Australia won 4!
  • Nice to see Laura Kenny as the Matriarch for the young England female cyclists.  Pity their outfit is not very flattering.

• A fabulous Colmanball from the commentators in the men's gymnastics.  The gymnast is on the rings. "He's failed to nail the crucifix".
  • Anyone watch Alice Kinsella win gold as part of the 4 woman gymnastic team last night ? 

Didn't see anything of it live but Alice top scored on the floor component of the competition. 

The team event acts as qualification for the individual apparatus finals & the all round event, with young Kins finishing top of the standings for the all round finals. 

Alice won individual gold on the beam in the 2018 Games & is also an Olympic bronze medallist.

The family must be so proud ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice to see Laura Kenny as the Matriarch for the young England female cyclists.  Pity their outfit is not very flattering.

That padded section is hilarious!
  • Mea culpa, Alice.

Sounds as though she had a bad day with problems on both the beam and the floor....

No individual medal this time, I'm afraid. 
  • It looked like that cyclist was doing a Cantona with his bike!
  • Just heard one of the swimmers is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbie_Wood 
  • I’m loving the games.
    It helps that the weather in West Cork is shite (no surprise) & I’ve an eight week old kitten called Russo who is getting to know his new home.

Dame Laura Kenny today winning the gold in the cycling was fantastic. She’s just brilliant 🤩
  • Laura Kenny is one of my favourite humans ever. 
  • Laura Kenny is one of my favourite humans ever. 
    She’s very unpretentious 👍🏻
  • Alice Kinsella guaranteed a medal on the floor.
  • Looks like a Gold to me
  • Alice, daughter of Mark Kinsella, wins gold.
  • Sponsored links:

• The men's 4x100 medley relay was magnificent.

• Liz McColgans daughter was excellent 
  • not watched a lot .. it's so good to see so many mostly young people from all round the world getting together .. for me it shows that no matter how 'old fashioned' the term Commonwealth might be, it does means a lot to a lot of people of all races and creeds
  • Coverage of the diving. 5th round finished. BBC said they're having a break from the event and we are moving to BBC One. 10 minutes of waffling from Clare Balding whilst the diving is completed and the final round missed. Really poor 
  • Very impressive final dive by Sirieix junior
  • Coverage of the diving. 5th round finished. BBC said they're having a break from the event and we are moving to BBC One. 10 minutes of waffling from Clare Balding whilst the diving is completed and the final round missed. Really poor 
    I’ve been watching on iPlayer on the individual streams. BBC been doing it all week, faffing about and then having to catch up. Been a bit confusing at times so moved to the live streams where you can rewind too. 
  • Talk about make you feel old!

There was a nice article in the Mirror today about Precious McKenzie who is attending the games as a guest of honour.  The diminutive weight lifter is now 86 years old.  He won 4 consecutive golds in weightlifting, 1966, 1970 and 1974 for England and 1978 for NZ.

He holds one of the longest standing world records. He lifted 1339 pounds in the 123 pound class 43 years ago from his 4 feet 9 height.  That equates to 95.6 stone!  That may never be broken.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/weightlifting-legend-precious-mckenzie-86-27659420