Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World athletics championships 2022

Had no idea this was even happening until saw brief round up on the news. 

It is in Eugene,Oregon 

anyone been watching overnight ?

Comments

• Didn’t even recognise our guy in the 100m highlights as for some reason we have got lilac running vests 
  • Chris Thompson won't be able to run in tomorrow's marathon because his visa's not come through in time. It doesn't seem quite clear where the fault lies, but how on earth has that been allowed to happen? What a mess and he's not the only one either.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/62183725

• Sounds a bit dodgy to me. He used to live over there, his wife is over there visiting friends. Something doesn’t quite add up. 
  • I love the world championship and I stayed up to watch both 20k walk. 
  • Tiny stadium and lots of empty seats - what's going on?
  • Reckon a world record could go tomorrow in the men's 100m. Most of the heats looked nonchalant and were very quick
    All at home watching Charlton v Sutton 
    Athletics is very much a second tier sport in the US. Struggled for traction in the past. Hosting it in Nikes home state was a bit of a story.
  • edited July 2022
    So I live in Eugene, but I'm down in Oakland this week for my brother's wedding. Would have loved to have gone to this had the timing worked out. Eugene is beautiful, by the way. Glad the city is getting international recognition. 
    Athletics is very much a second tier sport in the US. Struggled for traction in the past. Hosting it in Nikes home state was a bit of a story.
    They featured this on this morning's sports desk (radio 5 at 5 am).  It seems there is an uphill battle to promote, contributions by Seb Coe and Michael Johnson.  
  • Sponsored links:

Hotel prices are stratospheric so very few people have come from out of town.
  • Brilliant bronze for Laura Muir in the women's 1500m.
  • Britain have a World Champion! Great run by Jake Wightman who takes a surprising gold in the Mens 1500m. 
    Fanrastic to hear his father, Geoff, doing the commentary. Really don't know how he held it together.
  • Britain have a World Champion! Great run by Jake Wightman who takes a surprising gold in the Mens 1500m. 
    That was brilliant. Been far too long since we won a 1500m men's gold, after the glory years when we dominated the event many years ago
    That was brilliant. Been far too long since we won a 1500m men's gold, after the glory years when we dominated the event many years ago
    Agreed, although before my time!

British middle distance running in a great place at the moment though. Medals in both 1500m's and could easily get medals in both the men and womens 800m too. 
  • As I understand Jake is still a 2nd claim Dartford Harrier
  • I posted this yesterday on 'The Athletics Thread' ..

Jake Wightman wins gold in the World Championship 1500 metres held in Oregon .. the first Brit since Steve Cram in 1983 to win this classic distance .. super run and well worth a watch .. 

World Athletics Championships: Britain's Jake Wightman wins 1500m gold - BBC Sport
  • When is the women's 200m final?
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't really been following this but Fraser-Pryce is remarkable. Took her first WC 100m gold in 2009 and won it again this year. Including relays she has 13 gold medals at 100, 200, 4x100 at the Olympics and WC.

And she took a break a few years ago to have a baby.
  • edited July 2022
    When is the women's 200m final?
    Tonight, so about 3.35am UK time.

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-championships/oregon22/timetable
  • Michael Johnson is a right cheerful Charlie,  he has just predicted there'll be a new champion.

'Dina could run a PB and still be outside the medals'.  Well I hope she wasn't listening.  
  • Michael Johnson is a right cheerful Charlie,  he has just predicted there'll be a new champion.

'Dina could run a PB and still be outside the medals'.  Well I hope she wasn't listening.  
    Sadly he’s right though 
  • Say what?
  • What a run from Noah Lyles 
  • Jackson becomes the 2nd fastest woman of all time at 200m.
    Lyles becomes the 3rd fastest man of all time at 200m.

Look out for Erriyon Knighton in the coming years though. A bronze in the 200m at the age of only 18 is insane. This kid has broken Usain Bolt's records at U18 and U20 level. 

Realistic though. As it is she got a superb bronze in a quality field

Realistic though. As it is she got a superb bronze in a quality field
    Bless her cotton socks ! 
  • Clarky said:
    Britain have a World Champion! Great run by Jake Wightman who takes a surprising gold in the Mens 1500m. 
    A great run from Jake. Know his father Geoff really well and trained with him when we were at Dartford Harriers, so I know how proud he and his wife Susan will be.

@Clarky is Geoff Wightman a freelance stadium announcer because he turns up at many stadiums ?

That was such a great run by Jake and anyone who beats the young Olympic Champion Jakob Ingebrigtsen with World gold on the line is sheer quality.