Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

edited July 2023 in General Charlton
Deserves his own thread at this point doesn't he? Some very promising performances in pre season, doesn't look at all out of place in the men's game.

He's come on a long way since the turn of the year but is he ready?

Comments

• He's come on a long way since the turn of the year but is he ready?
    No, but he is ready for a mens loan, be it NL or L2, I’m sure some clubs will be willing to take a punt on these pre season performances and his name alone.
  • Looks more composed and more comfortable on the floor than Stockley.
  • Yes and no. I know we love an academy breaking through (and who better than Leaburn) but let's not get carried away again. It's  still just preseason.

Josh Davison (ponytail) was deemed good enough for 3rd choice last season, after scoring twice against a premier League's U23 side and generally being a trier - he wasn't.

Mason Burstow was the next one off the academy conveyor belt, banged in loads of goals for the U23 and was set for a break out season. Now the general feeling is we mugged off Chelsea big time for getting the fee we did for him.

There's still plenty of window left. Let's get it right this time. Keep him close to the first team, let him get regular U23 games and the Mickey mouse cups.

We've just come off one of our worst seasons ever where we were massively short up top and spent the majority of the season with square pegs in round holes. I'm astonished at how mamy people are now happy for a repeat of that, "miles will.do the job in patches" it won't be patches with aneke and stockley one bad fall from chucking his back out again. "Clare was grea at CB, don't mind him being our RB this year!!!" Etc. Etc.
    In my humble opinion, Leaburn has already shown skill, composure, awareness and finishing ability in the glimpses I've seen, above what Davison has shown thus far. Also seems to have more mobility than Stockley and Chuks.

Definitely worthy of some sub appearances in the league and if we get a couple of injuries then I'd like to see him get a go at starting.
  • He's a promising kid, still learning his trade.
    He's not the Messiah. Yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    It's a tough one. He's clearly got a lot of potential but I'd still feel more comfortable if he's just given a chance to develop and not just thrown in. Maybe the odd sub appearance here and there and League Cup/EFL Trophy. 
    I agree, let him play Gills, Brighton u21 etc, but we shouldn't be relying on him.for any league games (nice as it is to see Leaburn on the teamsheet).
  • Maybe give him half a season out on loan then in the new year he can come back and start coming off the bench here and there.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    It's a tough one. He's clearly got a lot of potential but I'd still feel more comfortable if he's just given a chance to develop and not just thrown in. Maybe the odd sub appearance here and there and League Cup/EFL Trophy. 
    I agree, let him play Gills, Brighton u21 etc, but we shouldn't be relying on him.for any league games (nice as it is to see Leaburn on the teamsheet).

Absolutely this! It's just giving me flashbacks back to when Karlan Grant was thrown in very young and that needed a loan spell at Crawley for him to really come good. 
  • Excellent pedigree .... and his dad wasn't bad either !
  • That's for BG to decide  If he continues to impress in the remaining pre season games and doesn't look out of place, I'm sure he'll be given some game time in the early weeks.

Nothing can replicate giving him experience, so trying him in L1 whilst he's confident shouldn't harm his  development, especially before the tone for the season's been set.

Surely we'd want to know before farming him out on loan as it makes no difference to our squad number cap given his age. I'd rather he was with us banging in goals than elsewhere and he has the advantage of being an unknown to opposition defences for a while.
  • edited July 2022
    I was impressed with what he showed us yesterday. He has the abilities to become a very good player for us. I am very happy he signed a three year deal. and has his physicality going for him. I would not let him go out on loan. I think with the style of play we are looking for he can learn a lot at Charlton, also training and playing with Stockley and Aneke.
  • Yes and no. I know we love an academy breaking through (and who better than Leaburn) but let's not get carried away again. It's  still just preseason.

Josh Davison (ponytail) was deemed good enough for 3rd choice last season, after scoring twice against a premier League's U23 side and generally being a trier - he wasn't.

Mason Burstow was the next one off the academy conveyor belt, banged in loads of goals for the U23 and was set for a break out season. Now the general feeling is we mugged off Chelsea big time for getting the fee we did for him.

There's still plenty of window left. Let's get it right this time. Keep him close to the first team, let him get regular U23 games and the Mickey mouse cups.

We've just come off one of our worst seasons ever where we were massively short up top and spent the majority of the season with square pegs in round holes. I'm astonished at how mamy people are now happy for a repeat of that, "miles will.do the job in patches" it won't be patches with aneke and stockley one bad fall from chucking his back out again. "Clare was grea at CB, don't mind him being our RB this year!!!" Etc. Etc.
    Completely agree with this.  I admire the positivity, but after last season, I really need to see it to believe it.  
  • The kid is actually BIGGER than Leaburn MK1!

For those who have met the original Leaburn that is quite something. 

In my view, if you are good enough you are old enough. End of story.
    And then these kids too young for elite level men's football pick up injuries and spend the rest of their career plagued with them... Like the Jack Wilshires of the world.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Scoham said:
    I wouldn’t loan him out, too early to be sure but he looks like someone who might not need it. Cousins and Solly didn’t.

I’d keep him around for preseason and see how he progresses. Assuming he continues to do well keep him as one of four strikers (ideally a signing replaces Davison) and ease him into the first team by bringing him off the bench in the league and starting him in the cups.

He looks like he’s physically up to it and has shown technical ability and intelligence too, that should cause problems in League 1.
    Agree with this. Not sure what he'd gain from a L2 loan, he already looks a smart player and it's not like he has to get used to the physicality of men's football, you're not going to get bullied when you're built like that!

I hope he'll make appearances off the bench this season. These are just friendlies but he's shined more than the other strikers.
  • edited July 2022
    Looks like TS has already decided on this one...

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-chief-explains-why-no-pressing-urgency-to-add-to-striker-positions/

"Charlton Athletic owner Thomas Sandgaard says that Miles Leaburn’s emergence has eased any immediate pressure to bring in a forward.

The Addicks have made five signings this summer but none in the offensive areas.

Leaburn, 18, scored twice for Charlton in a 6-1 friendly win at Dartford on Saturday. The League One club announced on Monday that the forward, whose dad Carl led the line for the Addicks, had signed a three-year professional contract.

“Everybody keeps talking about the fact we need another striker, just wait until you see what Miles is capable of and how fast he is developing too,” Sandgaard told the South London Press.

“We have someone coming up from the academy, so that puts a dampener on the pressure for getting outside strikers in. It might still be an option, but we’re pretty well off at the moment with Jayden Stockley, Chuks Aneke, Josh Davison and Miles.”

• Keep Miles around and use him to bolster OUR striker force. We need him to play for us, when others are out injured, rather than lose him for the season on loan to a League 2 club. He has shown maturity beyond his years in pre-season games and looks unfazed playing against "the men". (eg. that pass to Gilbey was slick & outstanding)
    Continue to build him up in the 23s but have him available for the first team call ups as well. 
  • The kid is actually BIGGER than Leaburn MK1!

He also looks more of a unit than his dad was at that age. Carl at 18 was tall but a bit spindly - I remember my Dad describing him as "Bambi on ice" at on particular game - whereas Miles seems distinctly more solid. Personally I'd be in favour of loaning him out for a bit, so he can get some first team experience without the pressure of expectation that he may find here, but that's dependent on what else is going on with the squad.
  • edited July 2022
    Yes and no. I know we love an academy breaking through (and who better than Leaburn) but let's not get carried away again. It's  still just preseason.

In my humble opinion, Leaburn has already shown skill, composure, awareness and finishing ability in the glimpses I've seen, above what Davison has shown thus far. Also seems to have more mobility than Stockley and Chuks.

Definitely worthy of some sub appearances in the league and if we get a couple of injuries then I'd like to see him get a go at starting.

Agree with the assessment, what we need with  Leaburn though, is to be in the situation where using him is a luxury and not a necessity.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    The kid is actually BIGGER than Leaburn MK1!

And then these kids too young for elite level men's football pick up injuries and spend the rest of their career plagued with them... Like the Jack Wilshires of the world.
    Jack was unlucky,and a bit reckless,how often did he dive in for balls that he should have left and get hurt.For every Wilshire there are a dozen kids who played in their teens and had or are having long careers,Parker     Konchesky,Bowyer,Bonds,Shelvey  ,Just from Charlton.Look at the England team,Sterling,Foden Bellingham,Sancho,and more all playing top grade football in their teens.Some playing international football while the same age as Miles.
  • Let’s not throw him in too early, that’s never worked well with strikers out of the academy. He’s a really exciting prospect & proper Charlton, let’s nurture him properly.