Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Were Garner and Innis at Palace at the same time?
    Yes, Watson was there as well (applying the Adkins Roddy non linear model) 
    Garner was at Palace for years. So coached Williams as well as Zaha and Wan-Bissaka.
    I know :-) 
  • Options
    And now we’ve got Ben Garner we’re f ing dynamite

The song can return 🕺
     hope he gets the sack in August then
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    swordfish said:
    wmcf123 said:
    one penalty miss away from getting Swindon into the play off final .. seems relaxed and self assured when interviewed .. IF given some money I would expect him to build a very decent team/squad .. IF appointed he will have my backing .. not an appointment I anticipated, but there again I didn't know who to expect ..  and people, we ARE NOT getting Conté, Pip, Klopp or crackle and pop to come and manage an underperforming club .. Garner knows the lower leagues and its players ..  we will be undergoing a big player turnover and he (as said) is well capable of signing the right players ..  IF IF appointed I expect him to do a decent job .. as ever we will see
    We will see.

18 months of managerial experience is not exactly vast.  As ever, I wonder who is advising Sandgaard.  I am not suggesting that Garner is not or will not be good; time will tell.  I would just like to know how the owner has reached the decision. 
    I'm sure TS said he'd spoken to Parish over at Palace before before he bought the club asking for advice. 

Think he's an admirer of BG too, so assuming those lines of communication remain open, he might have been a recommendation from him.

Guessing he must have interviewed well if the 90 minute podcast is anything to go by.
    Whether we agree or not, Sandgaard and Garner appear to have a lot in common in how they believe a club should be run and the future of football in this country. If we’re going to be successful we need an owner and manager that have a shared philosophy. 
    If we want to be successful we need the whole Club and the fans traveling in the same direction.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    Good ol’ read on the khazi that. 

I have to say, I’d be fairly happy with that, say if he had those attacking stats and got promoted then we would all be buzzing, his clearly impressive season was decided on a penalties. 

This is the way I’m viewing it, if we were a prem side and were on the verge of appointing the manager who had lost in the play offs but had the highest attacking stats in the championship, would we be displeased? Same as if we were championship looking to appoint the league 1 equivalent? I personally think in both scenarios it could be potentially a positive signing. 

Watford have just appointed the league 2 champions manager on I imagine a far higher budget than us, I think sometimes we need to be a bit more realIstic. 

Just to add a bit more I checked Swindon’s head to head against the other ‘top’ sides in the division. 

6/6 points against FGR
    0/6 points against Exeter
    4/6 points against Bristol Rovers
    4/6 points against Northampton
    3/6 points against Port Vale 
    3/6 points against Mansfield

for me that’s quite positive in itself that he was getting results against sides with better sides and bigger budgets. It’s such fine margins that had he beat Exeter and bettered a result elsewhere then Swindon would be taking Exeter’s spot with far more impressive ‘attacking’ football stats. I am making this comparison to Exeter as the general consensus seems to be, if we had appointed Taylor it would have been a sensible appointment.

if Garner is a man I welcome him and look forward to seeing Charlton play attacking, possession based football for the first time in who knows how long 

Klopp didn’t beat any of the top four Premier Leagues teams (in the league) this year. 
  • Options
    Dont really care about Garner's links to Palace... Even when players join - I joke that they're fifth columnists placed at the club by the Nigels to ruin us.

But in all seriousness - No one is ever going to deliberately ruin their career, just because of some rivalry, that they'll only potentially care about, if they supported said club. 
  • Options

I have to say, I’d be fairly happy with that, say if he had those attacking stats and got promoted then we would all be buzzing, his clearly impressive season was decided on a penalties. 

This is the way I’m viewing it, if we were a prem side and were on the verge of appointing the manager who had lost in the play offs but had the highest attacking stats in the championship, would we be displeased? Same as if we were championship looking to appoint the league 1 equivalent? I personally think in both scenarios it could be potentially a positive signing. 

Watford have just appointed the league 2 champions manager on I imagine a far higher budget than us, I think sometimes we need to be a bit more realIstic. 

Just to add a bit more I checked Swindon’s head to head against the other ‘top’ sides in the division. 

6/6 points against FGR

for me that’s quite positive in itself that he was getting results against sides with better sides and bigger budgets. It’s such fine margins that had he beat Exeter and bettered a result elsewhere then Swindon would be taking Exeter’s spot with far more impressive ‘attacking’ football stats. I am making this comparison to Exeter as the general consensus seems to be, if we had appointed Taylor it would have been a sensible appointment.

if Garner is a man I welcome him and look forward to seeing Charlton play attacking, possession based football for the first time in who knows how long 

Well done. Now we'll have pages of people saying this proves that Taylor is a vastly superior manager. 
    I was thinking this haha but I was genuinely impressed by his head to heads vs the other sides, FGR especially 
  • Options
    I don't understand how we can still be interviewing managers. How many bloody managers are we interviewing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

6/6 points against FGR

Well done. Now we'll have pages of people saying this proves that Taylor is a vastly superior manager. 
    I was thinking this haha but I was genuinely impressed by his head to heads vs the other sides, FGR especially 
    It’s encouraging and shows he’s not afraid to go and attack top teams on his division.
  • Options
    This Palace thing really irritates me. Yes I dislike them as a club and their fans intensely but for gods sake hating employees is ludicrous. Worth remembering that Palace as much as it hurts to say it are exactly what we should be trying to emulate. They are literally light years ahead of us. Garner worked for them during a successful spell. That’s a positive for us if he comes. Hate Garner for his Palace connection and I’d expect the same hatred for Chris Powell ? No. Thought not. 
    hate is an overused word usually used by little kids who know no better and should be saying 'I dislike' .. 'I hate vegetables', expressions like that ..
    save your 'hate' for incidents and people far more deserving of this rather extreme and emotive term than a mere game .. we all should know the results when 'hatred' is allowed to flourish, the Jewish Holocaust for example
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights of the Port Vale v Swindon second leg play off match. I thought Port Vale completely dominated both possession and attempts on goal. 
  • Options

6/6 points against FGR

Only joking. Yeah reasonable record, although I guess end of the day it only matters about that points total. Liverpool didn't beat any of the top 5 (admittedly could argue it cost them the title). 
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights of the Port Vale v Swindon second leg play off match. I thought Port Vale completely dominated both possession and attempts on goal. 
    Well that seals it for me....
  • Options
    This Palace thing really irritates me. Yes I dislike them as a club and their fans intensely but for gods sake hating employees is ludicrous. Worth remembering that Palace as much as it hurts to say it are exactly what we should be trying to emulate. They are literally light years ahead of us. Garner worked for them during a successful spell. That’s a positive for us if he comes. Hate Garner for his Palace connection and I’d expect the same hatred for Chris Powell ? No. Thought not. 
    hate is an overused word usually used by little kids who know no better and should be saying 'I dislike' .. 'I hate vegetables', expressions like that ..
    save your 'hate' for incidents and people far more deserving of this rather extreme and emotive term than a mere game .. we all should know the results when 'hatred' is allowed to flourish, the Jewish Holocaust for example
    Bloody hell
    is that you Rodney ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed, my least favourite word, I won’t have it said in my house. Told my son off a few times for saying it, I said he’s not old enough to know what hate is.😬🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    You could have just looked at the stats for that ;)

Interestingly, you are wrong, Swindon had slightly more possession (54%). They had 3 shots on goal less, but did only have one shot on target. In fairness to Garner, unless he was also playing in attack I'm not entirely sure that's completely his fault. 
  • Options
    I love it how on here everyone tries so desperately to find arguments why this is a good appointment.

He obviously was down Sandgaard's list. People have argued with me that TS wanted someone else other than Jackson all along, and he knew who he wanted. 

I still believe that he sacked Jackson with no clear idea of whether his preferred man (if indeed he had one) would take the job. Then his first couple of managerial choices turned the job down because they can see how he is an owner who will insist on all out attack all the time, and buys players he finds exciting. A new Charlton manager has to be someone who will jump at the chance of managing in League Once regardless of doubts about the management of the club. That why we've got this bloke. Swindon had most shots, most goals etc but lost in the play- off semi finals. We'll probably just lose 4-3 or 5-4 now instead of 2-1.

But still Charlton fans on here think we'll get promotion. I think that you are wearing rose tinted spectacles. This idea of doing well now is based upon what? Last season we did well to get out of the relegation zone and into mid table obscurity. Since then we've lost one of our best three players, not to mention a manager with a better League One record than this guy. Whatever players we get in will be more TS's or MS's choice, or players from the youth team. 

I struggle to see any real argument for hope of good times other than losing high scoring games instead of low scoring games.

I think it just balances out the negativity tbh.
  • Options
    Good sample size
    Swindon should have been out of sight after the first leg which they dominated
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Just watched a whole series of This Country. Is that what Swindon fans are like? Garner is going to lead us to destruction
    Garner comes from Kent
  • Options
    Good sample size
    Swindon should have been out of sight after the first leg which they dominated
    By half-time even. Another day they probably would have been.