Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• I know nothing about Garner hope he does well obviously. 
    But what was that Sandgaard said about "being a little more ambitious" than trying to get Beale?
    He is a prisoner of his own words. 
  • How long will he get if we start off the season struggling again? Surely TS won't want to make the same mistake twice and delay pulling the trigger like he did with NA. 
  • More of a head coach appointment which to be fair we all knew would be the case. Fair play what he did last season at Swindon but he was awful not long before that at Bristol Rovers.

Time will tell but it could have been stuck the devil you know 
  • edited May 2022
    From my view appoint a new manager and they should get 3 seasons but it is dfficult because I have grown to hate L1.  So play offs minimum Yr1 and minimum by Yr3 in Championship.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Oz, really?
    Ok, fair enough,  I woken up a grumpy fucker. I'll have a cuppa and have a think about it.... 

Right, I know he means well, and wants success across all forms of the club,  cat 1 academy status,  getting the woman's team promoted to the top tier etc.

It's so refreshing and exciting to hear we have that vision again after so much miss management from previous owners. 

However the club needs to build all this with a successful mens team. And he's failed on that so far for all the reasons we already know. 

I will back BG if he's the man. I admit I know nothing of him, I'll listen to the podcast interview posted today. With Swindon having the best stats of L2, it's a good sign, but it's not the be all and end all. I hope for TS's and ours it's a shrewd appointment, and not just a 'black box' one. 

• Welcome to Charlton Ben. I hope you do well enough to win over the fans. 
  • Thomas has just confirmed to me that they are still interviewing and that Jason Euell is staying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Addick_8 said:
    That's me sorted then. Best go & buy my ST now & await the 20+ goalscorer I've been banging on about since BWP left. 
  •  Luke Rooney, Ricky Lambert and Steve Parish have all praised Ben Garner either tonight or in the past as an excellent coach who can get his point across to players.
    A licence coach.

Ben Garner is another coach who started young after an injury put paid to a football playing career. He was born in Pembury, Kent. Not sure if it was personal issues but he had a break after a month in the job and Bristol Rovers didn't quite work out and it was Lambert who recommended Garner for that job.

The Swindon job he did very well as he had to bring so many players in as he only had a 7 a side team when he took over.

Good record with young players, and Zaha, Johnnie Williams, Nat Clyne are just a few of the young player he helped in their development at Palace.

Thomas Sandgaard may look on Twitter and change his mind; I wonder if that's why he told JR that interviewing is still going on ?  

I believe he can do a good job but not if he is slagged off as soon as he loses his first game.

At least we'll win a few more penalties next season  ;)
  • Nothings ever straight forward around here is it.
    I expect an appointment this week. 
    I’m not entirely sure if even Thomas knows who it is going to be at this moment in time. 
    He wants success but his decision making concerns me. 
  • edited May 2022
    Addick_8 said:
    How about his time at Bristol Rovers? 
  • _MrDick said:
    All I can say is his interview must’ve been a blinder. Sandgaard has got some serious explaining to do in order to get the support back onside. Already said I’m not impressed with this and now won’t be renewing my ST. This geeza couldn’t even get Swindon out of L2. How’s he gonna get us into a position where we’re contenders. Scrapping the bottom of the barrel springs to mind. Good night … Totally bemused with this appointment. 
    Mainly couldnt get Swindon out of League 2 because Davison cant shoot straight. Score his pen = Wembley. 
  • Didn’t Swindon have one of the biggest budgets in league 2? 
    I doubt it. They were skint last year & nearly went bust. 
  • RC_CAFC said:
    ozaddick said:
    Good luck to him if he's appointment. I'll back the team, can't not. 

What's annoyed me though, again, is TS grandstanding comments. Last season's We're going walk the league, that worked well.

Now its one about our ambition of the  managers we are trying to appoint,  saying we're aiming higher than Beale, who's the hottest property of the english coaching world right now, and he pulls Ben Garner out the bag.

Smacks of the kid at school who's dad, uncles and cousins done everything better than the story you just told, except he's an orphan. 

He needs to shut the f up, and just get on with it. 
    Oh and appoint a CEO who's got a feckin clue how a football club is run. 
    He’d be a very creditable and well respected appointment in football, he’s just appointed a COO and he hasn’t made any of those kinds of comments in nearly a year. 

That walking the league has definitely come back to haunt him I’ll give you.

I just don’t get the hatred and vitriol towards him. He’s a decent bloke who’s doing everything the right way. He’s said he really wants to use the academy and have a young energetic team which totally fits how Swindon progressed last season. 
    Evening Thomas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Uuumm, not sure what to make of this.. good job last year, terrible previously! Happy to give him a chance, but a lot of pressure on this..

To me it sounds very much a black box appointment! I got last night announcement was going to be made this week.. But was also told from a good friend here in Dubai, who has some villa fans staying in the hotel he works at, that Beale was leaving and going to Charlton.

good luck Garner 
  • Croydon said:
    Would much rather have Garner than an owner who messages club business over LinkedIn private message 
    Showing respect to supporters by communicating with them. Bring back Roland!