Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shinpads

Are the rules different in Scottish Football? I watch their games on BBC Scotland and there was a player with socks rolled down and no pads.Perhaps the Ref did not see him.

Comments

• I've never understood why shinpads aren't a choice once you're playing adult football 
  • Derek1952 said:
    Are the rules different in Scottish Football? I watch their games on BBC Scotland and there was a player with socks rolled down and no pads.Perhaps the Ref did not see him.
    Pretty sure they're compulsory in every league 
  • I've never understood why shinpads aren't a choice once you're playing adult football 
    To save idiots from themselves. 
    Probably because a kick on the shins from a two footed lunge is dangerous enough with shinpads let alone without them and the League and Club have a duty of care as well as any loss of the player will, potentially, impact on the ongoing performance of the team.
  • edited May 2022
    I've never understood why shinpads aren't a choice once you're playing adult football 
    Probably because a kick on the shins from a two footed lunge is dangerous enough with shinpads let alone without them and the League and Club have a duty of care as well as any loss of the player will, potentially, impact on the ongoing performance of the team.
    whilst i don't disagree with what you are saying, the rules on them are soo loose that a lot of player wear kids shinpads that wouldn't help much 

imagine someone going over the top of the ball on Tony Watt

whilst i don't disagree with what you are saying, the rules on them are soo loose that a lot of player wear kids shinpads that wouldn't help much 

imagine someone going over the top of the ball on Tony Watt

Grealish wears kids shinpads too. If you're being paid come what may £10m a year you don't have to worry about financial security anyway. Grealish not Watt I mean. 
    If that's the case why do the league and clubs let players like Jack Grealish wear absolutely tiny ones?
  • Never understood players not wearing them at any level or age - when played Sunday League I got the shit kicked out of me most games - I was very quick and played as striker, so once I had got past a defender for the first time purely on pace, I was a marked man, and all manner of shocking tackles came my way - I had massive shin pads, with the ankle protectors as well - I have no doubt whatsoever they saved me from a broken leg many times - got through a few sets of shin pads each season, and always had a set of spares on the touch line, as on a fair few occasions the ones I was wearing got damaged from some Neanderthal defender trying to maim me - I can remember looking at the broken shin pads and thinking ‘that could have been my leg’

We had a player - good silky midfielder, who glided about with style - who wouldn’t wear them - it had to happen one day, and sure it did - shocking tackle, broke his leg, with his shin bone coming out through the skin - absolutely horrific to witness - tons of blood - players running off to the touch line to be sick

He never played again, and walks with a limp to this day…..
  • You would have thought insurers would charge a higher premium for players wearing tiny shinpads, surely, they are at a greater risk of injury.
    McKirdy for Swindon is another with the tiny shinpads.
  • edited May 2022
    Definitely saved me from two breaks when I played. Two may not seem much, but a break is not a minor thing obviously. Absolutely right to save people from themselves. My son is a keeper and I got him used to using finger protectors and shin pads. When you are used to using them from an early age they do not affect you other than positively. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I honestly can't understand why a player wouldn't want to wear them
  • When I think of the plastic and polystyrene things I wore I have to chuckle, somehow matched the quality of my game. 
  • I would 100% wear shinpads, just don't see why you have to. You don't have to wear a helmet in cricket, but I think its mental not to wear one
    If that's the case why do the league and clubs let players like Jack Grealish wear absolutely tiny ones?
    Perhaps because he has small shins. He is also the master of avoiding getting kicked so much so that he is usually found on the ground before the opponent has even brought his foot back. The real reason is that he finds men's shin pads restrictive. If one checked there is probably only a very small number of players who do not wear adult ones.

Wearing shin pads became compulsory in football in 1990 when FIFA declared them as a mandatory piece of equipment. Referees will refuse to allow players to play without them but they are not asked to measure the size of the shin pads though I'm sure if they were so tiny as to offer no protection whatsoever then the Ref would ask the player to change them. Law 4 says - 
    A player whose footwear or shin pad is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play; if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is awarded. 

I'm sure if Grealish is on the end of a tackle that puts him out for any period of time as a result of him wearing small pads he will change his mind.
    Perhaps because he has small shins. He is also the master of avoiding getting kicked so much so that he is usually found on the ground before the opponent has even brought his foot back. The real reason is that he finds men's shin pads restrictive. If one checked there is probably only a very small number of players who do not wear adult ones.

Wearing shin pads became compulsory in football in 1990 when FIFA declared them as a mandatory piece of equipment. Referees will refuse to allow players to play without them but they are not asked to measure the size of the shin pads though I'm sure if they were so tiny as to offer no protection whatsoever then the Ref would ask the player to change them. Law 4 says - A player whose footwear or shin pad is lost accidentally must replace it as soon as possible and no later than when the ball next goes out of play; if before doing so the player plays the ball and/or scores a goal, the goal is awarded

I'm sure if Grealish is on the end of a tackle that puts him out for any period of time as a result of him wearing small pads he will change his mind.
    and at one time players were booked for not wearing or for wearing inadequate pads .. presumably that 'statute' is still on the books
  • I can never understand not wearing pads,especially now that they are so light,back in the day they were like cricket pads,but I still would never play without them.Just an observation but in the 60s many top players did not wear them,Law,Charlton,Best,Bremner Giles,Cooper,and yet in an era when there was thuggery of an industrial scale on the pitch,there did not seem to be the level of bad injuries you get today.I remember one collision between Ron Harris and Tommy Smith which should have resulted in hospitalisation for both,and yet they both just got up.
  • In the bad old days studs could be sharp and cause serious injury without shin pads.
  • As a ref I would insist on shinpads to reduce any liability if accused of negligence.
  • Crusty54 said:
    In the bad old days studs could be sharp and cause serious injury without shin pads.
    Was watching one of the games on Sunday, I think it was West ham vs City and I noticed one of the City players seemed to have really sharp studs on. Thought at the time that's surely illegal?
  • I would 100% wear shinpads, just don't see why you have to. You don't have to wear a helmet in cricket, but I think its mental not to wear one
    Helmets have been compulsory for batsmen, (most) close fielders and wicket-keepers 'standing up' in cricket since 2016.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    I would 100% wear shinpads, just don't see why you have to. You don't have to wear a helmet in cricket, but I think its mental not to wear one
    Helmets have been compulsory for batsmen, (most) close fielders and wicket-keepers 'standing up' in cricket since 2016.
    I take it you don't watch the IPL?
  • I've played over 500 games of 11-a-side league football, and I've been on the receiving end of 2 tackles in that time that would have broken my leg had I not had shin pads on. 

A small inconvenience.