Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lottery Big jackpot winners. Ever known or know one?

Not a cry for transfer kitty help!

Just wondering how/if they  changed? Did they try and keep it secret and disappear?
Or tell everybody and splodged it away?

Always fascinated when I hear about these big wins and how it affects those and the people around them.

Comments

• Sainsburys Dulwich, a guy there won 1.5m (from memory) I used to visit the site as an engineer often wondered why he continued to work but he was happy doing so that’s the main thing. 
  • A mate from school won £2.5m within the 1st couple of years of it starting
  • edited May 2022
    I don't think I would want to win too much. A few million would be nice but 180 million is too much. There are far more important things than money and if we start to think otherwise it is a recipe never to be happy. My family's health is worth more than £180m to me, my dog's health too.

I know, the question was do I know anybody who won that much and I don't :)
  • edited May 2022
    I know of a few that won 5 & the bonus. Both at the same place of work. One was a lad called Barry Chapman RIP (Charlton fan from Abbey Wood) his misses won something like £1/4m. He didn’t live too long after the win, after getting the big C. The syndicate I was in won after I left, they got £110k between 10.
  • I honestly think I feel sorry for the £184M winner.
    It's more likely to end in tears than joy, unless he/she are exceptionally level headed.
    Many celebrities and exceptionally rich people are fu%$ed up.
  • A friend of a friend (who posts on CL) won the pools here, then moved to Portugal with his winnings and won the Portuguese version over there.

Think that's how it went
  • edited May 2022
    My best friends Daughter (21 at the time) bought a £2 scratch card and won £250000.00. Her and her boyfriend bought a house with it. Still together (married now) but will always have the collateral if it ever went tits up lol.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Son of a friend of mine won the jackpot on 'Set for Life' game on the lottery about 5 months ago. £10k a month for 30 years....Nice.
    I used to coach and manage him for 5 years in the very well respected local (Nottingham) Saturday youth team from U12 to U17, glad he won, as it will set him up for life, but without the opportunity to be stupid with it...he and his dad really nice people.
    Pretty sure I’d have been able to be f*****g stupid with £10k a month when I was young!
    Yes suppose you're right, but he's in his mid 30's now with wife and family, and my point was its not like a lump sum he can just squander.
  • I'd be worried about my families safety if I won £180m. Some of them anyway.
  • Around 89/90 was going out with a girl from thamesmead and a guy down the pub won 100k house for a quid in a Sun competition and that was when a 100k house was quite a lot. 
  • An old colleague won £2.5 mill. Handed her notice in on the spot. Paid for a lavish leaving do. She probably spent half of it sorting her Thorntons out. 
  • Just remembered woman at work, her husband was a cabbie and his syndicate won the lottery. Unfortunately it was some really common numbers and something like 100 tickets shared the jackpot that week in some strange anomaly. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Son of a friend of mine won the jackpot on 'Set for Life' game on the lottery about 5 months ago. £10k a month for 30 years....Nice.
    I used to coach and manage him for 5 years in the very well respected local (Nottingham) Saturday youth team from U12 to U17, glad he won, as it will set him up for life, but without the opportunity to be stupid with it...he and his dad really nice people.
     I think if I was going to win anyy sort of big lottery prize that's how I'd want it. The measured approach.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Just remembered woman at work, her husband was a cabbie and his syndicate won the lottery. Unfortunately it was some really common numbers and something like 100 tickets shared the jackpot that week in some strange anomaly. 
    10000 people do 1-6
  • Son of a friend of mine won the jackpot on 'Set for Life' game on the lottery about 5 months ago. £10k a month for 30 years....Nice.
    Don't do the lottery much, but on the odd occasion I do, it's that one.

More chance of winning than the main one or the Euromillions, but £10k a month for 30 years would more than do me - basically pays a mortgage on a nice house, bills, nice car, and leaves enough over to be comfortable, all whilst not having to work.
  • I think if you win £250K it's brilliant, it can go towards a house and that's that.
    But £184M, unless you lost it betting, or gave it away I can't help thinking it could cause more problems than it resolves.
    If you gave it away there would possibly be arguments about what was gifted to who.
    Nightmare for me.
    I've known a £50k scratch card winner and a few with 5 & bonus but no one Jackpot/big.

I agree, I think it's the suddenness of it that tips people over. I know/have known people with that sort of wealth, they are generally fine, but it's been achieved/grown over many years so you've sort of led up to it.

Those I've seen suddenly come into large sums whether lottery or otherwise have tended to in the end be the most miserable people I've known!

• edited May 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Just remembered woman at work, her husband was a cabbie and his syndicate won the lottery. Unfortunately it was some really common numbers and something like 100 tickets shared the jackpot that week in some strange anomaly. 
    Were they from Luton, as i remember a load of cabbies sharing it, and as you say there were a ton of winners that week. watered down by the number in each syndicate.
  • Carter said:
    Having lots of money I don't know what to do with isnt my idea of a problem. 

Overnight most of my constant, aching thoughts about things that need paying for are gone, as are those of my friends and family. Private healthcare for all! Mortgages be gone, HPI no more.

And then Travel becomes an occupation, travel in first class, to places I'd only seen on a map previously. I can pursue whatever frivolous hobby I'd previously looked enviously on at those taking part, like weekend motor racing, sailing, fucking yacht chartering. 

I'd pay for boilers to heat the water in the North stand shitters and stick some Dyson airblades in there 

I'd build a big fuck off house, with no neighbours for at least a kilometre or so with a pool and mental watersides, lakes, bars, a football pitch and a shooting range. And a bat cave.

I'd adopt all the animals out of the local RSPCA places that put them down and build animal shelters where packs of dogs and cats could live out their days however suited them and people would be paid decently to care for them 

Any of these appeals for kids or adults needing to fund a trip somewhere for experimental cancer treatment would be funded. 

I'd also pay that fucking god bothering tuneless, ranting busker down Chatham high street a grand to fuck off and never cast a shadow there again. 

I'd buy my local, sort the heating out, redo the window frames, put a high rise cistern on the shitter on the saloon bar so the water pressure was there to deal with the more earthy and girthy Ambers that get dunked down there, I'd tidy the back garden up and pay off all the neighbours in tax-payer funded homes that live in a road thats only existed for 25 years next to a pub that dates back to the 1800s to stop their frivolous noise complaints every time a live band is on 

And I'd sign Kane Wilson, Jack Tucker, Matt Stevens, Alfie May, Luke McCormack, Tony Scully, Harry Darling and Josh Cullen and tell whoever manages us next to get a tune of of them 
    But what would you do with the rest? 
  • Carter said:
    Rylo said:
    Carter said:
    Having lots of money I don't know what to do with isnt my idea of a problem. 

Overnight most of my constant, aching thoughts about things that need paying for are gone, as are those of my friends and family. Private healthcare for all! Mortgages be gone, HPI no more.

And then Travel becomes an occupation, travel in first class, to places I'd only seen on a map previously. I can pursue whatever frivolous hobby I'd previously looked enviously on at those taking part, like weekend motor racing, sailing, fucking yacht chartering. 

I'd pay for boilers to heat the water in the North stand shitters and stick some Dyson airblades in there 

I'd build a big fuck off house, with no neighbours for at least a kilometre or so with a pool and mental watersides, lakes, bars, a football pitch and a shooting range. And a bat cave.

I'd adopt all the animals out of the local RSPCA places that put them down and build animal shelters where packs of dogs and cats could live out their days however suited them and people would be paid decently to care for them 

Any of these appeals for kids or adults needing to fund a trip somewhere for experimental cancer treatment would be funded. 

I'd also pay that fucking god bothering tuneless, ranting busker down Chatham high street a grand to fuck off and never cast a shadow there again. 

I'd buy my local, sort the heating out, redo the window frames, put a high rise cistern on the shitter on the saloon bar so the water pressure was there to deal with the more earthy and girthy Ambers that get dunked down there, I'd tidy the back garden up and pay off all the neighbours in tax-payer funded homes that live in a road thats only existed for 25 years next to a pub that dates back to the 1800s to stop their frivolous noise complaints every time a live band is on 

And I'd sign Kane Wilson, Jack Tucker, Matt Stevens, Alfie May, Luke McCormack, Tony Scully, Harry Darling and Josh Cullen and tell whoever manages us next to get a tune of of them 
    But what would you do with the rest? 
    I'd compelte AdultWork.com
    I’m pleased that you’ve thought about this.