Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What price that old shirt?

Maradona's 'Hand of God' shirt is up for sale.

You may bid for it from April 20th but Sotheby's reckon you'll need in excess of 4 million quid. 

The shirt is presently owned by Steve Hodge who swapped with Maradona on the final whistle of the controversial game.  Must be the best move he ever made.

Comments

• Just googling around I note you can pay 5K for a match worn Beckham shirt, several hundred for many premiership shirts.  There is a £1001 price tag for Wilfried Zaha's shirt v Arsenal, £600 for Conor Gallagher's in the same match.

I remember Curbs quite rightly banning our players from requesting opposition shirts as it was demeaning.  I always thought it was a misplaced mark of respect - perhaps it was more a case of the financial savvy saving for a rainy day?
  • a lot of ex pros have huge collections. 
  • Worth about a fiver, but reckon someone will pay a bit more than that
  • There's also quite the market in counterfeit autographed shirts. Must be quite tempting to get the Sharpie out of you're that way inclined.
  • My brother in law was a curator at Nottingham museum and handled and displayed in an exhibition a few years ago.

• Maradona’s family now saying that the shirt Hodge has is not the one he scored both goals in but the shirt from the first half - Diego wore 2 shirts that day & the family has the shirt from the second half. 

Sotherby’s have got experts in to examine the shirt & photos/footage from Mexico 86 & they’re adamant that the shirt is the correct one! 

It’s getting very messy & someone is going to part with £4m for the privilege 
  • If they swapped shirts it would be the second half shirt wouldn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Talal said:
    If they swapped shirts it would be the second half shirt wouldn't it?
    Apparently, Maradona gave Hodge a shirt in the tunnel, the swap never happened on the pitch 
  • Talal said:
    If they swapped shirts it would be the second half shirt wouldn't it?
    Apparently, Maradona gave Hodge a shirt in the tunnel, the swap never happened on the pitch 
    Ah...
  • Now know I got a bargain in paying £65 for Morgan Fox's 'poppy' shirt against Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Went for seven million ...
  • What i'd like to know is why Hodge waited until now to sell it?

I guess the value will have increased after Maradona died, but even so he could've set himself up for a very nice life by selling it a few years ago.
  • He always said he would never sell the shirt.
  • Maradona’s family now saying that the shirt Hodge has is not the one he scored both goals in but the shirt from the first half - Diego wore 2 shirts that day & the family has the shirt from the second half. 

Sotherby’s have got experts in to examine the shirt & photos/footage from Mexico 86 & they’re adamant that the shirt is the correct one! 

It’s getting very messy & someone is going to part with £4m for the privilege 
    I dont know how you can compare one worn shirt with another, unless there is a streak of mud somewhere that can be identified at a certain time. 
  • Easy to compare when they wore a shirt that was seemingly only worn in that match.

The shirt was made specially for that quarterfinal, played on June 22, 1986 in the blistering Mexico City sun. The story goes that Argentina's cotton jerseys were too heavy for the heat, so manager Carlos Bilardo and Ruben Moschella, the team's technical assistant, searched for an alternative option. "We ran from one side of the city to the other with a backpack," Moschella later said in the book Maradona: The Boy. The Rebel. The God. He came back with two choices, one a darker blue and the other a lighter shade. The decision was made by Maradona who strolled in, saw the lightly striped, blue number, saying: "We'll beat England in that one."

Then it came down to local seamstresses. They had to sew on the Argentina badges and, because Moschella could only find numbers made for American football uniforms, iron on the numbers. If you look at the Maradona shirt in Sotheby's, you can see the badge looks like it's only loosely attached to the fabric -- the edges slowly peeling away because of the rushed, hand-stitched sewing. The numbers on the various shirts are also uneven and are a bizarre, sparkly silver color.

"The numbers were a joke," Maradona wrote in his book, Touched by God. "When we went out on to the field, some of the guys had sparkles on their face because the numbers were silver and sparkling. If it had happened to rain, like it had in our match against Uruguay, it was going to be a real disaster: we wouldn't know who was who or what position the others were playing."

• Sponsored links:

I guess the value will have increased after Maradona died, but even so he could've set himself up for a very nice life by selling it a few years ago.

I can't imagine Hodge was shopping in Lidl before.
    However, once he knew what he could get for the top it is no surprise he flogged it.

I can't imagine Hodge was shopping in Lidl before.
    However, once he knew what he could get for the top it is no surprise he flogged it.
    I've no idea what Hodge does now but he retired well over 20 years ago and was a player before the really big money came into English football
  • Now know I got a bargain in paying £65 for Morgan Fox's 'poppy' shirt against Sheffield Wednesday.
    I thought it was Danny Green's.
  • PopIcon said:
    Now know I got a bargain in paying £65 for Morgan Fox's 'poppy' shirt against Sheffield Wednesday.
    I thought it was Danny Green's.
    His is Halifax away.
  • Hodges' top was sold for £50
  • Bet Terry Butcher is really pissed off about this 🤣😂🤣
  • Crazy really, you happen to be standing on the right bit of the pitch near Maradona at the end of the match, and that complete chance was worth £7m.
  • edited May 2022
    I suppose Hodge didn't intend to sell it originally but most things ultimately have a price.