Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chimney lining

Had the chimney swept today and the sweep said we need to get it lined really. Thought it was lined when we bought the house but not. 

Had a look online and (as expected) all the lining companies emphasising the importance of getting it done etc.  Also neighbour had chimney fire last year so don't want to end up in that boat.  The sweep said it will be fine to use through the winter but to get it done after winter however if it is a real risk then im minded to get it done asap.

Anyone know what i should expect to pay for materials and labour and what best thing to do materials wise is?

Cheers

Comments

• What type of roof you got?

Gabled at the front (chimney stack at the front) and cross gabled at back.
  • Should you still be burning fossil fuels?  ;)
  • Addickted said:
    Should you still be burning fossil fuels?  ;)
    Maybe he is burning bodies.
  • We had this done when we moved into our new house last year (Dorset). The sweep actually condemned it until we had it done. Said he couldn't remove all the soot so a fire risk. We paid £800 but my quotes were over £1,000
  • thecat said:
    We had this done when we moved into our new house last year (Dorset). The sweep actually condemned it until we had it done. Said he couldn't remove all the soot so a fire risk. We paid £800 but my quotes were over £1,000
    Thanks. Similar to what I've been told.

• From when I had a wood burner installed in place of an open hearth. I agree it sounds about right. Total cost was about 2.2K, half for stove and half for installation, which is basically a chimney liner and a plate fitted in the hearth. Money for old rope really, it took two blokes no more than four hours from start to finish.
  • thecat said:
    We had this done when we moved into our new house last year (Dorset). The sweep actually condemned it until we had it done. Said he couldn't remove all the soot so a fire risk. We paid £800 but my quotes were over £1,000
    Whereabouts in Dorset may I ask #thecat?
  • Just outside Christchurch
  • thecat said:
    Just outside Christchurch
    Ahhh I am just outside Winfrith towards Owermoigne.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2021
    IdleHans said:
    Money for old rope really, it took two blokes no more than four hours from start to finish.
    This. I did mine twice, with a mate (different houses) The job can be done in a few ways. Often they 'throw' a liner top down then put on a blanking plate at the bottom, and can then fill the void (around the liner) with vermiculite. Looks like small polystyrene balls and will fill every crevice, thus creating an insulating blanket around the liner to prevent heat loss and reduce condensation on the inside of the liner. Total job cost me about £300 for materials including liner fire board and UFO (chimney cap) to stop birds/animals coming down. My neighbour across the road, regularly has squirrels climbing in and out of his pot, so they must be nesting in there. Then there is the stove which must be Hetas approved in the cities (which is a scam in itself). They cost more and are less efficient for heating. 

Mine took me about an hour to climb up on the roof with a cat ladder and feed the liner down then secure at the top. It really is simple, but for insurance or regulatory purposes you will likely want a tradesman. 

After I did my install, I got a Hetas approved installer to come out and check it and he signed off the job for £40. 
  • Whites Chimeys snd fires in Swanley are really good. Have always used them.
  • IdleHans said:
    From when I had a wood burner installed in place of an open hearth. I agree it sounds about right. Total cost was about 2.2K, half for stove and half for installation, which is basically a chimney liner and a plate fitted in the hearth. Money for old rope really, it took two blokes no more than four hours from start to finish.
    Are you sure you are not getting confused. A log burner normally has a round flue attached to the top which goes up the chimney or through the wall. It is double skinned below a certain height to avoid people touching it and getting burnt and the it thins out the higher it gets.

This is different to getting a chimney lined for an open fire which I think the OP has.   
  • IdleHans said:
    From when I had a wood burner installed in place of an open hearth. I agree it sounds about right. Total cost was about 2.2K, half for stove and half for installation, which is basically a chimney liner and a plate fitted in the hearth. Money for old rope really, it took two blokes no more than four hours from start to finish.
    Are you sure you are not getting confused. A log burner normally has a round flue attached to the top which goes up the chimney or through the wall. It is double skinned below a certain height to avoid people touching it and getting burnt and the it thins out the higher it gets.

This is different to getting a chimney lined for an open fire which I think the OP has.   
    I am never sure of that. 

You're right, my flue is round, although don't think it's double skinned - I have a magnetic thermometer on it which goes up to over 300C when the fire's well set.

Might have misled the op on that basis.

Gabled at the front (chimney stack at the front) and cross gabled at back.
    Which part of the house does the butler live in 😉