Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Gervais tonight

Comments

• A couple of fights were said to have broken out "in the stalls" during his act, but it was dark so couldn't actually see what happened.
    Then just before the finish a man stood up in the walkway right in front of me and refused to move, not sure why although someone said he was wasted, the stewards asked him to move, he refused so they tried to remove him.
    It ended with a steward in his 60's lying in front of the exit door, looking in a badish way.

Gervais was brilliant, but it was a weird evening. 
  • Funny little fat man
    Pathetic little loser…

pug pug
    pug pug (Barry trying to harmonise with his finger in his ear Bandaid style)
    Yes Linda!
  • Anyone that uses the phrase "woke brigade" is cringey 
    This.
  • Lovely to see everyone getting "all offended up"

RG has done some cracking seminal TV work over the years and i would love to see him live.  He is one of those marmite celebs, no doubting.
  • Thing is though with some comedians you know what to expect, why watch or go live when you know you will be offended or even offended on behalf of others.
  • edited November 2021
    Taxi_Lad said:
    woke brigade now offended by being called woke!!  That’s hilarious!! No end to their ability to be offended. Must be exhausting 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Mate, there is literally no such thing as a ‘woke brigade’. You’ve been reading too many dodgy newspapers. 
  • Don’t understand using “woke brigade” as a put down, ‘woke’ is being anti-racism, pro-freedom of expression; surely thats all of us?

• Ricky Gervais is a horrible bloke. James Acaster's bit about him is just spot on - he's using "humour" and his fame from some admittedly phenomenal comedy (Extras, The Office - where he plays himself) to now be transphobic et al. And if people call him out, he says he's just challenging the norm.

Yeah, cos you know who's long overdue a challenge? The trans community. Ffs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone that uses the phrase "woke brigade" is cringey 
    I object to all brigades outside of the fire brigade. It’s a shorthand way of implying anyone who disagrees is part of a club full of wankers. When really, there’s no such club. Just people who disagree on certain points. The brigade brigade can do one! 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Ricky Gervais is a horrible bloke. James Acaster's bit about him is just spot on - he's using "humour" and his fame from some admittedly phenomenal comedy (Extras, The Office - where he plays himself) to now be transphobic et al. And if people call him out, he says he's just challenging the norm.

Yeah, cos you know who's long overdue a challenge? The trans community. Ffs.
    So predictable 
  • Carter said:
    You are going to have to show me how hes been transphobic Paddy, not saying you are wrong, just I haven't seen or heard him be phobic of anything 
    Don’t know about recently, but he’s done a couple of bits in the past that have been criticised.
    For example, at the golden globes one year he made a couple of jokes at Kaitlyn Jenner’s expense and I’m pretty sure he deadnamed her, which is a big no-no for trans people.
    He’s certainly done some jokes in the past about gender identity, for example, he criticised a story about a pregnant trans man headlined “man has a baby” by saying “that’s not a man having a baby, that’s a woman having a beard.”

So he does have form.
    For the record, in my opinion I think he’s often funny, but sometimes not. I don’t always agree with him, but I sometimes find things he says funny even when I don’t agree. He can be a bit cringe, and sometimes I think he’s just being an arsehole for the sake of it.
  • “Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system.“
    They cetainly do!
  • Saw Ricky do a Work in Progress show at a 200 seater venue (Kings Place) last night. I am not the biggest fan of his stand up, but he was genuinely hilarious away from the arena setting. Lucked out getting a ticket. He tends to 40/50 of these sorts of shows before starting an arena tour. If you can get a ticket I'd recommend it. Only £15 as well.
  • “Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the fuck you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a fuck or not. And so on. It's a good system.“
    This is quite right and has always been the case. I really like RG's comedy and have seen him live where he has joked about cancer etc... Some might call me a bit woke. We all like what we like but nothing has changed from the 80s where you had people taking offence to things, it is just now these people have been empowered by the press and made to seem more powerful than they are. Yes there will be people on the council, and public facing roles who might be a bit sensitive but it was always the same.
  • Saw Ricky do a Work in Progress show at a 200 seater venue (Kings Place) last night. I am not the biggest fan of his stand up, but he was genuinely hilarious away from the arena setting. Lucked out getting a ticket. He tends to 40/50 of these sorts of shows before starting an arena tour. If you can get a ticket I'd recommend it. Only £15 as well.
    I really struggle with him. I think he’s funny but some of his shock topic material is just not for me
    Mate stand for Mayor!  You'd get my  vote.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's way better when he doesn't try to get involved in political points etc.

Remember Animals back in the day being brilliant.
  • Love Afterlife, but don't find his Stand up very funny
  • Loved 11oclock show,the office and Afterlife. Not sure about his stand up
  • He's way better when he doesn't try to get involved in political points etc.

Remember Animals back in the day being brilliant.
    100% this
  • MY EYES!
    I saw the Work in Progress last week at the Leicester Square theatre, though he was pretty good. He had another 3 comedians with him that did about 5 minutes each. 
  • edited January 30
    boggzy said:
    The Office was genuinely genius imo, one of the best shows ever. Really don't enjoy anything else he's done tho - I found Afterlife cringe-worthy and horribly contrived, Extras I found awful along with his stand-up. Horses for courses I suppose, but it shows that maybe Merchant maybe didn't get enough credit for The Office.
    I loved Life's Too Short. Some great set piece moments in it. Getting stuck in the toilet, buying condoms, the Ewok at the wedding, the new washing maching. Classics.