Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Gervais tonight

Brilliant. 
He would have & did upset the woke brigade. 

Comments

• I saw him at the Palladium earlier in the tour. Wasn't his best stand up, but plenty of laughs.
    I thought the best joke of the night came from the support act Sean Mcloughlin. The gag about the nine year old girls grooming him was superb.
  • He's the funniest comedian by miles.

I loved Humanity on Netflix, and saw his Science show live about 10 years ago.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant. 
    But it's all an act. RG is 'woke' himself (i.e. against racism and sexism). But it's just a great way of getting a laugh at the expense of celebs, something he's very good at.
    How the right have tried to weaponise the word 'woke' is hilarious.
    I'm against racism and sexism. That makes me normal, not woke...
    Christ! Placed under 'Fun, Jokes & Captions'. Move along mate.
  • PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant. 
    But it's all an act. RG is 'woke' himself (i.e. against racism and sexism). But it's just a great way of getting a laugh at the expense of celebs, something he's very good at.
    surely a comment to JamesSeed before me??
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant. 
    No one particular. Just feels like another thread is about to get hijacked by politics.
  • JamesSeed said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant. 
    No one particular. Just feels like another thread is about to get hijacked by politics.
    But it started as a political post by having a dig at 'the woke brigade'. 
    Have you seen the show?

Let's talk about that, it will be on Netflix within the next couple of months.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant. 

No, Politics was one of his previous shows.

Keep up
    Very good.
  • JamesSeed said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Brilliant. 
    But it started as a political post by having a dig at 'the woke brigade'. 
    Totally agree.
    ’Woke’ means anti racist by the way.
  • Anti Racist up this morning, feeling fine
    I've got Charlton on my mind....

Incorrect syntax
  • woke up its a beautiful morning, feel he sun shining for your eyes..

The Boo Radleys were well ahead of their time. 
  • edited November 2021
    woke brigade now offended by being called woke!!  That’s hilarious!! No end to their ability to be offended. Must be exhausting 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm a massive Ricky Gervais fan, since he learned how to make people cry with Derek I think his writing has gone up a dozen notches and After Life is the best original comedy to find its way to TV in a long time. White Gold is the last one that hit my funny bone as often and probably the inbetweeners or lifes too short before that 

Be interested to see his new stand up when Netflix release it, his stand up shows really divide opinion 
  • Actually phoneshop deserves a shout as well
  • Think Gervais' shock humour is old hat now, he can't put a funny spin on it like Jimmy Carr or Corey Holcombe does. To me he just makes people laugh by making them feel uncomfortable 
  • I really enjoy his standup but his writing skills are better. Extra’s is outrageously funny. Can’t remember a show making me laugh out loud as much as that. As you say @Carter inbetweeners is up there and so was shooting stars.

His newer stuff manages to balance emotive subjects superbly.
  • Gribbo said:
    Think Gervais' shock humour is old hat now, he can't put a funny spin on it like Jimmy Carr or Corey Holcombe does. To me he just makes people laugh by making them feel uncomfortable 
    Can see where you’re coming from with this. I do like his demolition of religion though. That’s very cleverly done and with a very humorous slant. 
  • I prefer the stuff he writes.
    As personally every time I see him on my telebox, I switch it over or off.
    I can’t even look at him 🤢
  • Yeah Extras was brilliant, what I think happened there which he carried into lifes too short was you would be watching an episode and nothing much would seem to be happening but it would lead to a rib achingly funny moment or scene. I'm thinking of the Liam Neeson lifes too short and the dishwasher episode and with extras the episode where Darren and Maggie have a date, the Bowie episode, the Les Dennis one not to mention the Ian McKellan episode 
  • Comedically speaking he's got a schtick that he's had since back when, he sticks with it, some people like it, some don't, some people used to like it and find it a bit tired, some people didn't like it and now do. I personally think his best current work is the scathing awards ceremony hosting, it's his comfort zone and he does it well. His worst work for me is as an actor and director (and writer of dramatic/emotive content) but then loads of people love his new series so it's probably pointless for you to have read any of this... 
  • Comedically speaking he's got a schtick that he's had since back when, he sticks with it, some people like it, some don't, some people used to like it and find it a bit tired, some people didn't like it and now do. I personally think his best current work is the scathing awards ceremony hosting, it's his comfort zone and he does it well. His worst work for me is as an actor and director (and writer of dramatic/emotive content) but then loads of people love his new series so it's probably pointless for you to have read any of this... 
    That's probably me. Loved The Office
  • Carter said:
    Yeah Extras was brilliant, what I think happened there which he carried into lifes too short was you would be watching an episode and nothing much would seem to be happening but it would lead to a rib achingly funny moment or scene. I'm thinking of the Liam Neeson lifes too short and the dishwasher episode and with extras the episode where Darren and Maggie have a date, the Bowie episode, the Les Dennis one not to mention the Ian McKellan episode 
    The Liam Neeson scene in life’s too short is epic.