Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ITV4 : The Big Match revisited

Anyone watching this - they are showing week by week the games from 25 years ago - 1983. Its brilliant stuff.

ITV 4 Thursdays - midday & 4pm. http://uk-tv-guide.com/show-times/636865/The+Big+Match+Revisited//

Can be downloaded from UK Nova as well.

I'm also ploughing through - Dennis Waterman's 70's football series from a few years back. Scary thing is how many of the players talking about the games are now dead - Bremner, Hughes, Osgood, Knowles, Moore). I love the non-commercial look of football in those days - very few advertising hoardings, simple shirts, packed crowds swaying on the terraces, bright blue, disabled 3 wheelers parked behind the goals in most grounds, parkas everywhere - no stewards!! Its all on The Box right now to download - let me know if you need an invite!

Comments

• edited November 2021
    Sorry point of order please...1984 he was still Robert Lee... B)
  • I was at this game and taped it into video. Was always exciting when we were on TV. Steve Dowman had scored at least one own goal and nearly did so again in this game. At some point in the match, you can hear someone from the crowd shout “have a shot” when he has the ball on the edge of our area. Would love that shirt.
  • Martin Duffield played for us on loan from QPR, one game and never saw him again. That wasn't Seaman in goal.
  • Ferryman said:
    Martin Duffield played for us on loan from QPR, one game and never saw him again. That wasn't Seaman in goal.
    That is David Seaman in goal for Birmingham
  • Ferryman said:
    Martin Duffield played for us on loan from QPR, one game and never saw him again. That wasn't Seaman in goal.
    Seaman was definitely in goal for them
  • I'd forgotten that Tony Towner played for us. On looking him up I noticed that he and Ronnie Moore played together firstly for Rotherham then for us and finally for Rochdale. Perhaps Moore suggested that it would be good for those clubs to sign Towner. 
  • edited November 2021
    I'd forgotten that Tony Towner played for us. On looking him up I noticed that he and Ronnie Moore played together firstly for Rotherham then for us and finally for Rochdale. Perhaps Moore suggested that it would be good for those clubs to sign Towner. 
    Both scored against us at The Valley when they beat us 5 1 in 1982. Was Ken Cragg’s last game and I think one of them scored a hat trick.
  • edited November 2021
    The full MOTD on this link, with extensive highlights including Robert Lee scoring past David Seaman...

https://youtu.be/GKRhHKdrieM
  • I'd forgotten that Tony Towner played for us. On looking him up I noticed that he and Ronnie Moore played together firstly for Rotherham then for us and finally for Rochdale. Perhaps Moore suggested that it would be good for those clubs to sign Towner. 
    Both scored against us at The Valley when they beat us 5 1 in 1982. Was Ken Craig’s last game and I think one of them scored a hat trick.
    Yes night game, Towner was like Messi that night & think it was him that got the hatrick. Shame he never did it for us  :D
  • Sponsored links:

Both scored against us at The Valley when they beat us 5 1 in 1982. Was Ken Craig’s last game and I think one of them scored a hat trick.
    Yes night game, Towner was like Messi that night & think it was him that got the hatrick. Shame he never did it for us  :D
    Thought it was a Saturday game? Was supposed to be Simonsen’s second game but he pulled out at the last minute. His picture was on the cover of the programme and I managed to get him to sign it.
  • Definitely a saturday game
  • Beat me to it, definitely Saturday, much bigger gate than normal for Simonsen, when the team got announced a few people tried to leave. About an hour later a large majority were pleading to go
    Moore hat trick, still have my certificate that I paid a pound for him
  • Was at this game v Birmingham but don't remember the goals. Do have a vague memory that a group of them came round the back of the covered end, maybe at half time, and were chased off.
  • Went to the brum and Rotherham games. The latter was definitely a Saturday game. Think we went 1-0 up through Killer who was marked by Emlyn Hughes iirc. 
  • edited November 2021
    i was at this game and remember some Birmingham fans coming in the Covered End in the second half, luckily the older lads sorted it out as I was only 16 and didn't want to dirty my Fila BJ.      
  • Went to the brum and Rotherham games. The latter was definitely a Saturday game. Think we went 1-0 up through Killer who was marked by Emlyn Hughes iirc. 
    Yes trouble in that game we scored first. Didn't we have Middlesbrough the week before or after and lost that too on consecutive Saturdays.
  • SE7toSG3 said:
    i was at this game and remember some Birmingham fans coming in the Covered End in the second half, luckily the older lads sorted it out as I was only 16 and didn't want to dirty my Fila BJ.      
    Was never as cool as you Clive! Trouble like that was quite a regular event back then. I remember a game against Boro where lots of them tried to get in the Covered End, maybe 83.  Some brought parts if the crumbling East Terrace with them to chuck. Nevertheless I used to love being able to switch ends at half time and love being able to still do this when I go to Princes Park to watch Dartford occasionally.
  • edited November 2021
    SE7toSG3 said:
    Hope your burgundy Diadora Bjorg Elite didn't get scuffed.

Edit - and you can still kit yourself out for £65.

https://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/track-tops-c26/fila-vintage-settanta-track-top-exclusive-pro-badge-navy-p63
    Yes trouble in that game we scored first. Didn't we have Middlesbrough the week before or after and lost that too on consecutive Saturdays.
    Yes, Middlesbrough on the 13th Nov and Rotherham on the 20th Nov. 

Boro att; 10,807

Rotherham Att: 6,761

The Boro game was my Valley debut as well as my namesake's. I didn't go to the Rotherham fiasco and my next visit was the QPR fiasco on 29th Dec. 
  • Sponsored links:

• SE7toSG3 said:
    Really? I always had you down as one of our top boys.....
  • Watching that Birmingham game again; the shot from Steve Gritt and corner from Tony Towner pretty much summed up that period in our history! 

In fairness, things took a big up-swing the following season (on the pitch anyway). 
    Pretty sure we went 0-3 after about half hour v Boro before 2 late goals. 
    Your memory is correct. Heavily deflected Simmo effort and Hales got it back to 2-3. I think Peter O'Sullivan may have hit the post at the end too. 
  • Simonsen said:
    Went to the brum and Rotherham games. The latter was definitely a Saturday game. Think we went 1-0 up through Killer who was marked by Emlyn Hughes iirc. 
    Your memory is correct. Heavily deflected Simmo effort and Hales got it back to 2-3. I think Peter O'Sullivan may have hit the post at the end too. 
    Think it might have been Paul Elliot?
  • edited November 2021
    Ferryman said:
    You could tell it was Seaman 'cos he was dribbling out of the box  ;)
  • Stig said:
    Ferryman said:
    You could tell it was Seaman 'cos he was dribbling out of the box. 
    And how he let Aizelwood’s goal in.
  • Stig said:
    Ferryman said:
    I got it @Stig 😀
  • Stig said:
    Ferryman said:
    I got it @Stig 😀
    So have I now!