Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Walter Smith RIP

2»

Comments

• Options
    RIP - there's a great tribute from Ally McCoist on Talksport
  • Options
    An immense figure in British football for 30 years, who always seemed alright (even if I had no love for the teams with whom he was involved).  RIP
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    cabbles said:
    RIP - his Rangers team of the 90s coincided with my first years as a kid devouring all things football.  They had some ridiculously good players.  I 
    There are some gems here:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/walter-smith/spielertransfers/trainer/1828

Basil Boli and Jorg ‘The Hammer’ Albertz spring to mind, as well as Brian Laudrup.  I was positive he had the De Boers, but just checked and Ronald was 2000 - 2004, Frank only had 15 games for them in 2004.  To be honest I thought the SPL struggled to bring in that sort of talent after 2000.  Henrik Larssen being the last of what I would consider the top talent playing north of the border.  

There were definitely some talents that played for both Rangers and Celtic, but for some reason, post 2000 I just think it changed and they couldn’t keep up with the money spent in the Prem and elsewhere.

also interesting to see Smith bought Jonathan Johansson over to Rangers, and Greg Shields came up from the youth team at Rangers 
  • Options
    This is the moment Walter Smith broke this 11 year old’s heart. Scottish Cup Semi-Final replay against Hearts in 1976. We might have won the first game with a late chance for Jim Cook (think of “and Smith must score” for Brighton, and now I think of it that same Smith was playing for Kilmarnock when we beat them in the quarters). In the replay Walter scored this rather spectacular OG on 8 minutes and Hearts ran out easy 3-0 winners in what was Walter’s only season at Dumbarton.

Hearts 3rd goal was scored by Drew Busby (pictured) who now owns a pub in Dumbarton. Drew scored Third Lanark’s last ever goal in a 5-1 defeat by Dumbarton. Ally Brown (between Busby and the goalie) was our milk boy!

RIP Walter
  • Options
  • Options
    A documentary paying tribute to one of the most successful managers in the history of Scottish football, Walter Smith. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0012z6n/walter-a-life-in-football