Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ballon D’OR

Who would you pick as the best player? 

Comments

• Haaland for me.
  • Lewandowski’s turn this year I reckon. Although Messi winning a major trophy with Argentina will have him with a strong chance.
  • Jorghinho surely deserves to be up there? 
  • Italy winning the tournament gives any of their players a big advantage. Personally I think Haaland or Lewandowski should get it but not sure they will. 
  • Messi. Winning a tournament will probably get him the award this year.
  • Lewandowski deserves it as he would have eased to it last year had it not been cancelled for some stupid reason, but Messi probably wins it

Got a feeling Kjaer is gonna end up 3rd

1- Messi
    2- Lewandowski 
    3- Kjaer
  • edited October 2021
    Lewandowski’s turn this year I reckon. Although Messi winning a major trophy with Argentina will have him with a strong chance.
    Make you spot on, should be Lewandowski, will be Messi.
  • Deserved nomination for the likes of Sterling and Mount, CL final and Euros final in one summer
  • Lewandowski then Haaland 
  • Sponsored links:

• How have Foden & Mount made that list, is it to make up the numbers?
  • Lewandowski or Jorginho should get it, winning the Champions League and the Euros in the same year, both with unfancied teams, should tip it in Jorginhos favour (though he's more of a cog in the machine than the standout performer for both club and country) 

Messi will win it though
  • edited October 2021
    Jorginho won’t get the credit he deserves because he’s not a flashy player or a goalscorer but he was in the heart of the team that won the champions league AND the heart of the team that won the Euros.
    in fact more than just being in the team he was pivotal to the whole play style of both teams almost to the point of them being built around him and the way he plays.

edit: re the credit comment, obviously he is nominated so getting some credit but most people’s pick will be Messi and Lewan (fair enough) but even Mbappe and Neymar are getting more comments and selections then Jorginho which is wrong imo 
  • Jorginho won’t get the credit he deserves because he’s not a flashy player or a goalscorer but he was in the heart of the team that won the champions league AND the heart of the team that won the Euros.
    in fact more than just being in the team he was pivotal to the whole play style of both teams almost to the point of them being built around him and the way he plays.

edit: re the credit comment, obviously he is nominated so getting some credit but most people’s pick will be Messi and Lewan (fair enough) but even Mbappe and Neymar are getting more comments and selections then Jorginho which is wrong imo 
    Bit like how Hodgson got the piss taken out of him a few years ago because he went for Mascherano over other attack minded players when he voted.
  • Not having Chiesa and Oblak is mad. 

So many players in that list that just shouldn't be in the conversation for best player of the year. 
  • I think we need a version of this for the biggest flops in the year, a bit like The Golden Raspberries.  It could even be called the Ballon D'Awful.
  • Messi gets his seventh Balllon d'Or

Lewandowski in second and Jorghinho in third. 

Ronaldo got 6th ahead of Salah in 7th

First time that Cristiano has been that low since 2006
  • Sterling (15th)
    Mount (19th)
    Kane (23rd)
    Foden (25th)
  • Leo Messi. Goat.
  • edited November 2021
    Undeserved really, he hasn't done much, really think in relative terms lewandowski should have got it this year! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not the best player in the world in the last year, Lewandowski has a season and half of being unplayable 
  • I would have voted for Lewandowski personally, but I'm not surprised a French football magazine have taken the chance to give it to a bloke playing in France the one time they've really had a chance to.
  • LTKapal said:
    Undeserved really, he hasn't done much, really think in relative terms lewandowski should have got it this year! 
    He hasnt done much

Lewandowski should have won 2020 there is no question about that and that will forever be ridiculous that because the French league finished early they decided there would be no winner that year.

But this year was always gonna be alot closer between Messi and Lewandowski and I think the stats above show why Messi edged it, its not just about goals.

Goals are why Lewandowski won striker of the year, the all round stats are why Messi won the Ballon D'or
  • LTKapal said:
    He hasnt done much

Lewandowski should have won 2020 there is no question about that and that will forever be ridiculous that because the French league finished early they decided there would be no winner that year.

But this year was always gonna be alot closer between Messi and Lewandowski and I think the stats above show why Messi edged it, its not just about goals.

Goals are why Lewandowski won striker of the year, the all round stats are why Messi won the Ballon D'or
    That's daft though, Lewandowski is more of an out-and-out striker than Messi, so Messi's chances created, recoveries, passes etc are all likely to be higher, same as Lewandowski is likely to have scored more, as he did.  
  • Messi helped Argentina win a 2 horse race in South America this year, and that's about it.

He's not the best footballer in the world this year, in fact, he's not the best footballer in Paris right now
  • Messi has scored 1 league goal since May. 

Best player in the world. Embarrassing and rigged award to have him win while he's playing in France. 
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59454640

Barcelona midfielder Pedri, 19, won the Kopa Trophy for the best player aged under 21, with England internationals Jude Bellingham, Mason Greenwood and Bukayo Saka coming second, fifth and sixth respectively.
  • Sterling (15th)
    Mount (19th)
    Kane (23rd)
    Foden (25th)
    How has Kane finished below Sterling and Mount?!

Kane was the premier league's top scorer and top assister, he was in the PL team of the season, he broke the England scoring record for a calendar year and was joint 3rd top scorer at the Euro's.

But whilst Sterling did have a good Euro's you certainly wouldn't say he had a better year individually than Kane, his club form despite City winning the league and reaching the CL final was pretty poor. But seemingly because him and Mount play for teams that won a trophy they were ahead of Kane? 
  • I was hoping Lewandowski would win it this year 
  • They're goats to celebrate Messi winning.