Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wokeism is not New

Comments

• should be in the 'jokes section' but was not given a choice  :)
  • Stuff wokeism.  Now another way to insult people or 'shame ' them publicly while hiding in the shadows of  anti social media. 

• Anyone who uses the word woke other than as the past particple of the verb to wake (up) is guilty of a crime against the English language. To create and use the word “wokeism” is a hate crime against the language.

You’re welcome😉
    many thanks for your opinions on modern English usage Mr Cawdrey  :)
  • Just call em cnuts!
  • Just call em cnuts!
    Little sexist no?

😁
  • ‘Woke’ is one of those words anybody can define on the hoof and claim ownership of.
    In that spirit I claim ‘woke’ to mean anti racist, and that’s that.
  • Anyone who uses the word woke other than as the past particple of the verb to wake (up) is guilty of a crime against the English language. To create and use the word “wokeism” is a hate crime against the language.

You’re welcome😉
    many thanks for your opinions on modern English usage Mr Cawdrey  :)
    Whose he?😉
  • Sponsored links:

• Admin to this thread:

Fingers moving in a slightly different direction I reckon
  • What I find annoying about 'woke' people is the need for them to constantly prove how compassionate and caring they are on Social Media.

They'll literally go into an empty room wearing a mask and tweet about how they're saving the planet from Covid.
  • What I find annoying about 'woke' people is the need for them to constantly prove how compassionate and caring they are on Social Media.

They'll literally go into an empty room wearing a mask and tweet about how they're saving the planet from Covid.
    I much prefer it when people are incompassionate and uncaring on social media, gives you a good indication of who to avoid. 
  • se9addick said:
    What I find annoying about 'woke' people is the need for them to constantly prove how compassionate and caring they are on Social Media.

I much prefer it when people are incompassionate and uncaring on social media, gives you a good indication of who to avoid. 
    I call this 'critical wasteman theory'

This is it.  You are more bothered by people saying they give a shit than you are by the issues that they give a shit about.  
    I'd respect them if I actually thought they were contributing to solving a legitimate issue, but they don't. The purposes of the tweet are to make them appear like they're a better person than you, and to put you down if you challenge them.

This is it.  You are more bothered by people saying they give a shit than you are by the issues that they give a shit about.  
    I'd respect them if I actually thought they were contributing to solving a legitimate issue, but they don't. The purposes of the tweet are to make them appear like they're a better person than you, and to put you down if you challenge them.

Sounds like the purest conjecture and projection. If I were to ask for examples....?
  • Sponsored links:

Is this what woke is then?  Being too darn caring on social media.  The government need to step in and do something about this before it spirals out of control and I’m surrounded by too many attempted nicers.  
    It's clear Nick is stating that some people act like they care when in reality all they want is Social Media likes... 

Yes the social media fakes just trying to get likes. 

A bit like Jeremy Corbyn and the Virgin train that time... Where "all the seats were taken". 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    What I find annoying about 'woke' people is the need for them to constantly prove how compassionate and caring they are on Social Media.

Is this what woke is then?  Being too darn caring on social media.  The government need to step in and do something about this before it spirals out of control and I’m surrounded by too many attempted nicers.  
    It's clear Nick is stating that some people act like they care when in reality all they want is Social Media likes... 
    Sure, but when I see someone being nice I tend to take it at face value.  Otherwise we’d all walk around in a constant state of scepticism.  It’s probably better to have a society where people attempt to be nice in public than one that’s full of people pointing the finger at those attempting to be nice. 
  • Stuff wokeism.  Now another way to insult people or 'shame ' them publicly while hiding in the shadows of  anti social media. 
    In what way? Shaming people who are woke or aren't? Genuinely intrigued.

• Dazzler21 said:

Sure, but when I see someone being nice I tend to take it at face value.  Otherwise we’d all walk around in a constant state of scepticism.  It’s probably better to have a society where people attempt to be nice in public than one that’s full of people pointing the finger at those attempting to be nice. 
    If I see it in person and it feels genuine then I'll obviously take it at face value, unfortunately a lot of the time when it is on social media it cannot be trusted. A large part of why I am not particularly active on Facebook, Twitter, Insta etc. 
  • It’s not exclusive to Woke politics and Likes though.

Many people use posting on social media to self-validate their views and to make one feel better about themselves for expressing those views.

Without even realising it….thinking they’re posting for the greater good.

As I’ve said before, I’m a Labour supporting remainer, but the kind of people you get on Twitter with the Euro  Flag, the FBPE, the Zero Covid icons are mainly sheep desperate to be heard for their own good.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

If I see it in person and it feels genuine then I'll obviously take it at face value, unfortunately a lot of the time when it is on social media it cannot be trusted. A large part of why I am not particularly active on Facebook, Twitter, Insta etc. 
    Well then we’re in agreement then, social network is the problem.  Not “woke”.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Not everybody walks around in a constant state of scepticism, but either sadly or gladly for me I actually do. I am wary of everybody, especially in the field of philosophy and their outlook on life and politics, until I feel comfortable that they’re not a wrong ‘un in my terms.
  • It’s not exclusive to Woke politics and Likes though.

Many people use posting on social media to self-validate their views and to make one feel better about themselves for expressing those views.

Without even realising it….thinking they’re posting for the greater good.

As I’ve said before, I’m a Labour supporting remainer, but the kind of people you get on Twitter with the Euro  Flag, the FBPE, the Zero Covid icons are mainly sheep desperate to be heard for their own good.
     To add to the rhetoric that it's nothing new my partner and I were talking recently and she mentioned her friend had been complaining about her mum to her. 

The woman goes to Church every Sunday, has done since the girl was a kid, tells everyone that she does, scolds her daughter for no longer being religious etc. However when she goes to church she sits scrolling facebook or playing candy crush throughout (do people still play that?). Before smart phones she would be knitting or reading a book - not the "good book" either. 

A couple of weeks ago the church had a fundraiser and she volunteered to help out. It was a 12-4 event and her daughter reports that her mum turned up took several photos of herself and stuck them on facebook with hashtags to do with praising jesus, in gods will etc and apparently left less than 10 mins after arriving. Her mum went for lunch with her friends instead... 

Social Media imo can be quite toxic in the way that people paint their perfect lives upon it. It makes them feel good to lie to the world, ignoring that it can be quite depressing and saddening for others to wonder why their lives aren't so perfect or why can't they ALWAYS be so happy. 

It is no coincidence that the rise in prevalence of social media has coincided in higher rates of depression, anxiety, self harming and suicide. If I could recommend people one thing in life to help balance their mental health, it would be to steer clear of social media and to focus on their real lives. 

There's nothing wrong with being 'woke', providing there is a genuine care for the topic.

I am woke to mental health and the challenges we all have around it and I am proud to be, but I don't plaster the socials with my every action on it. I will repost other MH posts if I see them on the rare occasions I am on FB/Twitter/Insta.