Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jean-Pierre Adams, RIP

It's always sad when someone dies.  And, when it's someone in the 'football family' it's often more poignant.  But, spare a thought for Bernadette Adams, widow of Jean-Pierre Adams.  
For four decades, she has spent nearly every day caring for Jean-Pierre, changing his clothes, preparing his food, never forgetting to give him presents and often talking to him too. 

Huge respect to her; RIP Jean-Pierre. 

Comments

• She's a far, far better person than me. There is not a chance that I would have the patience, strength and resolve to carry on those daily duties.

RIP
  • edited September 2021
    Just read the story (never come across it before). Both tragic and remarkable...

RIP Jean-Pierre and condolences to Bernadette.
  • edited September 2021
    Wow... thats just tragic, been in a coma for 18-months longer than I've been alive

RIP
  • I'd never heard of him or this case govne how long ago it was, but having read about, what a terribly sad story, he was only 34 when the hospital made their errors, you wonder his many years of healthy life he could have had otherwise.

And what a loving person Bernadette sounds like.  Incredible.

RIP.

• reading this earlier on the bbc,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58463792 

'Remarkable devotion'

Piers Edwards, BBC Sport Africa

Bernadette Adams is a remarkable woman, a gentle but steely soul who never once considered turning off her husband's life support machine despite his vegetative state.

For four decades, she has spent nearly every day caring for Jean-Pierre, changing his clothes, preparing his food, never forgetting to give him presents and often talking to him too.

The response was of course silence from a man once described as "larger than life" (and whose skills were highly rated by German football legend Franz Beckenbauer) yet nurses reported slight mood changes on the rare occasions Bernadette went away for a night or two.

I visited the Adams home in southern France in 2016 whereupon Bernadette explained the hospital had never apologised for an accident which she could not help thinking about every day.

i will be informing the mrs tonight that she's to turn me off if anything ever happens.

RIP
  • reading this earlier on the bbc,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58463792 

'Remarkable devotion'

Piers Edwards, BBC Sport Africa

Bernadette Adams is a remarkable woman, a gentle but steely soul who never once considered turning off her husband's life support machine despite his vegetative state.

The response was of course silence from a man once described as "larger than life" (and whose skills were highly rated by German football legend Franz Beckenbauer) yet nurses reported slight mood changes on the rare occasions Bernadette went away for a night or two.

I visited the Adams home in southern France in 2016 whereupon Bernadette explained the hospital had never apologised for an accident which she could not help thinking about every day.

i will be informing the mrs tonight that she's to turn me off if anything ever happens.

RIP
    That's my view too, harsh as it may seem.  Wouldn't be any sort of life for either of us.
  • Incredibly sad story and RIP but there is a part of me that is really uncomfortable with 39 years in a coma.

If it was his choice then fair enough but I can't imagine anything worse for myself (even if I had no clue about it) and my family to have to deal with that situation.
  • That is horrendous, how can the hospital not apologise.  A 34 year old incredibly fit human reduced to a sleeping corpse.

But the love and compassion shown by Bernadette is truly wonderful.
  • This was a terrible case. 
    Fantastic devotion by Bernadette Adams for her husband Jean- Pierre.

RIP.

Like Dave and Neil, it sounds like hell on earth? My fear would be that some shocking reality shows would be on a loop on TV and I can hear every word but can't escape !  

I would prefer after a certain time, the plug  to be pulled if progress hasn't been made. 

Without quality of life it becomes a Dystopian nightmare for the carer and patient, especially a loved one.

• Sponsored links:

• RIP Jean Pierre Adams. Huge respect to his wife Bernadette.  Heart braking