Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

La Liga 2021-22

Back underway tonight with Valencia v Getafe and the rest of the matches this weekend.

Predictions/who are you rooting for?

Looking forward to another good season and personally I'll be hoping for another season where Atlético push for the title. Will be hoping that Rayo Vallecano, Madrid's third team back in La Liga this year, manage to do well and stay up. Always have a soft spot for Real Betis as well, and like to see every team do well against Real Madrid and Barcelona :)

Comments

• Got a feeling La Liga viewing figures (especially outside of Spain) will take a big hit with Messi leaving.
  • Good to see Mallorca back in there.
  • A few big names have left this league over the closed season and de Paul’s arrival at Athletico should boost their standing further. I think there could be a bit of a shake up in the top 6, with Barca and Real having to work a lot harder than they have been used to, to challenge.
  • Atletico’s title to lose.
    Barca have so many problems with registering players etc I think they could struggle to make top 4 if a couple of teams hit the ground running.
  • Been to see Granada a few times as the local team to our place. Seem to be ticking along quite nicely. Favour Atletico of the ‘big boys’. Still pretty dire times down at Malaga where I’ve also seen a few games in recent years.
  • Cadiz and Villarreal for me, feel like they've got a little bit on common with us, similar to the sort of club we were in our successful period, although Villarreal have obviously far exceeded what we ever did.

Enjoyed watching Betis the last couple of years as well.
  • Back underway tonight with Valencia v Getafe and the rest of the matches this weekend.

Predictions/who are you rooting for?

Looking forward to another good season and personally I'll be hoping for another season where Atlético push for the title. Will be hoping that Rayo Vallecano, Madrid's third team back in La Liga this year, manage to do well and stay up. Always have a soft spot for Real Betis as well, and like to see every team do well against Real Madrid and Barcelona :)

Will be an interesting game tonight - Valencia’s new head coach up against the team he left in his first game. 
  • One nil win for Valencia tonight.
  • Atletico’s title to lose.
    Barca have so many problems with registering players etc I think they could struggle to make top 4 if a couple of teams hit the ground running.
    They still have a decent squad and although only a friendly, they smashed Juventus 3-0 the other night.

Alba, Pique, De Jong, Busquets, Pedri, Griezmann, Depay, Dembele, Ansu Fati. Some players are getting on a bit but they'll still be a strong side.
  • True. And it sounds like they will be able to register Depay in time for the first game, although I’m not sure how because even with Messi gone they are way over the 75% for wages that La Liga allows. 

I think as much as they might not shout about it Sevilla, Betis, Sociedad and Villarreal will all be eyeing a top 4 spot this season.
    I just wouldn’t be surprised to see 2 of them make it ahead of Barca.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Gareth Bale played most of the game in Real Madrid's 4-1 win yesterday at Alaves and seems to be back in favour under Carlo Ancelotti, although he no longer has the number 11 shirt and now has number 18. Wonder if he'll stay for the season.
  • Pedri who is still only 18, played the whole of last season for Barcelona then went to the Euro's with Spain, then went to the Olympics and played 73 games in total, more than any other player in Europe.

The Olympic final was 7 August......he returned to Barcelona training on 12 August and played the full 90 minutes last night. Crazy.

I understand it was the players decision but he's only 18, so naturally he will want to play. Someone senior at the club needs to make that decision for him. 
  • I'm a Betis fan having spent a year out in Seville at university (coincidentally it was a year they got relegated, and Charlton did too so really a match made in heaven for me).

I think they will do well to improve on 6th based on their lack of transfer activity - they desperately need a couple of centre halves.

Unbelievable to see former Charlton legend Marko Dmitrovic get the gloves for Sevilla - it pains me to say it but can see them pushing into the top 3 this season.
  • FC Barcelona reveal debts of around 1.3 billion euros, and that wages are 103% of income. Had Messi stuck around  it would have been 110%. Chasing trophies to keep ahead of Madrid. Genuinely not fussed - greedy directors with no fiscal responsibility is nothing new in football. I'd love to see the Liga treat them the same way the Scottish FA treated Rangers  and demote them to regional football, but that would involve having a pair. The Spanish FA won't be going down that road.
  • Real Madrid one up at half time away to Levante. Good to see Gareth Bale back on the score sheet for them.
  • Amazing turnaround! 

Taking Bale, Isco, and Hazard off after going 2-1 down is a brave/strange move.
  • edited August 2021
    No one with full points after three games after Atlético drew 2-2 with Villarreal last night. Mallorca the surprise team so far with seven points alongside Atlético, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and Valencia.
  • Antoine Griezmann back at Atlético. Him and Luis Suarez should make a good frontline for them.
  • Athletic Bilbao forward Inaki Williams broke the record for most consecutive games in La Liga history this weekend.

He played his 203rd successive match, a run which started on 20 April 2016.

If we signed him, guaranteed he'd be injured within a month.

• Sponsored links:

• Athletic Bilbao forward Inaki Williams broke the record for most consecutive games in La Liga history this weekend.

He played his 203rd successive match, a run which started on 20 April 2016.

If we signed him, guaranteed he'd be injured within a month.

His surname has always interested me, any Welsh/British connection?
  • Back on sky sports next Saturday. 
  • Barcelona were missing 16 players last night due to injury and covid, yet the league made them play.

They started with 7 players who'd come through the academy, including a 17 year old striker, had 2 kids come off the bench for debuts..........and won 1-0.

Imagine Tuchel and Klopp if they'd had to play.
  • "Barcelona are finalising a loan from American investment bank Goldman Sachs of 1.5bn euros to rebuild the stadium and its surroundings, which has to be added to the 595m euros they already got from the bank. Some of the loan money will cover the 1.3bn euros debt that Laporta has admitted the club has to face."

Over 2bn in loans!! 
  • I'm sure the managers and players love this, given teams always say there are too many games.

This week is the Spanish super cup. The top 2 teams in last seasons league plus both cup finalists, play 2 semi finals and then a final.

The location for this SPANISH super cup...............Saudi Arabia.