Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doing a Will.

Drains the life out of you.
Nearly there though after 5 months.

Comments

• five months? Should have seen a Solicitor.
  • edited August 2021
    Good job you survived the process then mate. What have you left Elf’s 😉.
  • Who have you left your debts to?
  • Rylo said:
    Thought this was an Inbetweeners thread. 

• Always worth considering including percentages.

My uncle did his will before property values increased so much. And then he, and then my aunt who survived him by over 10 years, never revised their (mirror) wills.

It included £x to A and £y to B etc and the remainder to 2 charities. As my aunt also survived B, most of it went to the 2 charities in the end! Not what either intended
  • five months? Should have seen a Solicitor.
    We have Large.
    Lots of twists and turns in my Will, as I'm sure there are in fellow lifers Wills.
    Me and the wife both have a headache and I'm now in need of a beer.

• Going to go through the process of getting mine done (well overdue as I have two kids and a wife).

I have learnt from experience how a clear will is so important for looking after those close to me after I’m gone.

Got a total mess of a situation brewing with my Dads will relating to his partners kids….. it’s very important things are clean cut for after we have gone.
  • I've had 2 more kids and moved house since I last updated my will.....definitely needs a review!
  • Always worth considering including percentages.

My uncle did his will before property values increased so much. And then he, and then my aunt who survived him by over 10 years, never revised their (mirror) wills.

It included £x to A and £y to B etc and the remainder to 2 charities. As my aunt also survived B, most of it went to the 2 charities in the end! Not what either intended
    This. I was executor to my mum’s will and she wanted a distribution of 1 share to each of her children and 1 share divided between the grandchildren. Really easy to allocate the money after selling her house.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought this was going to be a thread about falling out with your younger brother after he married an American actress and moved to the United States, and then turned his back on the family business. 
  • I've had 2 more kids and moved house since I last updated my will.....definitely needs a review!
    I believe the general advice is that wills should be reviewed every 3-5 years, or, of course, as and when there is a significant change(s).
  • My wife and I set up our wills using the free wills scheme. It was all very straightforward and the only cost was a charity donation (£100ish).  I think the next scheme opens again in October.
  • My wife and I set up our wills using the free wills scheme. It was all very straightforward and the only cost was a charity donation (£100ish).  I think the next scheme opens again in October.
    My Mum and Dad did that first time round but when it needed renewing they used the Solicitor I now work for. He said the first was a shambles. You get what you pay for I'm afraid.
    My Mum and Dad did that first time round but when it needed renewing they used the Solicitor I now work for. He said the first was a shambles. You get what you pay for I'm afraid.

I'm a bit worried now. I hope you don't mind me asking but what caused the problems?
    How complex can it get? And what happens if you haven’t got one? (Which I haven’t).

If married, doesn’t everything just get shifted to your partner and if no partner to your kids (if you have any)?

I'm a bit worried now. I hope you don't mind me asking but what caused the problems?
    Shambles is probably too strong a word to have used so sorry if I have worried you unnecessarily, I'm sure you have no need to be. It was just very badly written, didn't explain a couple of legacies very well and was just generally very poor professionally. 
  • edited August 2021
    My wife and I set up our wills using the free wills scheme. It was all very straightforward and the only cost was a charity donation (£100ish).  I think the next scheme opens again in October.
    How complex can it get? And what happens if you haven’t got one? (Which I haven’t).

If married, doesn’t everything just get shifted to your partner and if no partner to your kids (if you have any)?
    No, I don't think that's the case. If there is no will then your wife and children will be entitled to a portion of your assets. Best to consult a solicitor. 
  • Is there a Will month in England as well as NI?

Worth considering getting it sorted then (October/November), as the solicitors involved offer either reduced costs or free will services.
  • Sponsored links:

Get one, @AFKABartram

One of the main reasons people don't bother is that they think that it just gets shifted to your partner.  It doesn't. 
  • Hopefully as ours was so straightforward we won't have any problems. Wouldn't want the cats home to miss out!
  • RedChaser said:
    Good job you survived the process then mate. What have you left Elf’s 😉.
    Me season ticket.
    I can see the smile on his face if I go before a September.
  • edited August 2021
    My wife and I set up our wills using the free wills scheme. It was all very straightforward and the only cost was a charity donation (£100ish).  I think the next scheme opens again in October.

Look up the rules of intestacy as this is what applies if there is no will. This explains clearly:    

Writing a will is the best way to guarantee that what you want to happen to your estate actually happens. Otherwise, the rules of intestacy will be applied.

get one mate, otherwise it goes into Probate. My old man didn't have one and it cost a fair bit of time (and money) to get resolved

You must have friends who have kids from a previous relationship , who have gone on to meet someone else?
  • Ridiculously keep putting it off and due to no other reason than laziness. Me and my wife need to do this especially as our two grown up kids don't get on and haven't spoken for about four years. Don't know how them two would sort it out between them. Will sort soon, hopefully before we both die!!