Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shocking news

The halfway house (The Gallion?) to Margate are now flats!!!!

Sad sad sad

Did anyone ever drink in there?

Comments

• Yeap, I drove past it on Monday, and was really shocked.

I thought that it would always stay a pub, but lets face it, who drives down to Margate now days!? It gets no passing trade anymore.
  • I'm not surprised. That's the way things are going

Yorkshire Gey = McDonalds
    Welcome Inn = Flats
  • Is that the one thats in Only Fools and Horses? Where they're on the Jolly Boys Outing?
  • Crossways - Burger King
    Castle - KFC
    Carpenters Arms - Next
    Man of Kent - Fire Station extention

That's just Eltham!
  • not personally, but my dad used to stop there for a pint when we went for a day out to the Kent coast in the late '50's early 60's. Happy, happy days. From memory our car was a Standard Vanguard.
  • Boozers closing down all over the place. Smoking ban/no money in the game/influx of immigrants etc Worryingly though, a Wetherspoon is about to open in Sidcup.
  • [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Boozers closing down all over the place. Smoking ban/no money in the game/influx of immigrants etc Worryingly though, a Wetherspoon is about to open in Sidcup.

Spoons the most boring non descript places on earth, i know they are cheap but why would you!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Is that the one thats in Only Fools and Horses? Where they're on the Jolly Boys Outing?

Yup, thats the one.
    Started to really decline when the (tory, spit!!) government put an end to "beano's" by banning alcohol on coach partys.
    Wasn't just us fotball "hooligans" who were banned from drinking, oh no, under that Bloody Woman....................
  • I went to Margate on stag in 2001 the boozer was rammed packed!

Stoped there on the way back and there was a disco on loads of sorts!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: CAFCBourne[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: stop shouting[/cite]Boozers closing down all over the place. Smoking ban/no money in the game/influx of immigrants etc Worryingly though, a Wetherspoon is about to open in Sidcup.

Spoons the most boring non descript places on earth, i know they are cheap but why would you!!
    cheaper away days :)
  • Sponsored links:

• RSVP is Bexleyheath is closed too!!
  • [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Crossways - Burger King
    Castle - KFC
    Carpenters Arms - Next
    Man of Kent - Fire Station extention

That's just Eltham!
    Man of Kent was always owned by the fire brigade is my understanding.

Re. the 'spoon in Sidcup - that's actually refitting & re-opening the Hogs Head.
  • Weatherspoons are shit no mark pubs. You have to wait ages for a drink even when there are only 2 other people in the entire place!

Good place to go hoodie slapping though
  • [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]Is that the one thats in Only Fools and Horses? Where they're on the Jolly Boys Outing?

Yup, thats the one.
    Started to really decline when the (tory, spit!!) government put an end to "beano's" by banning alcohol on coach partys.
    Wasn't just us fotball "hooligans" who were banned from drinking, oh no, under that Bloody Woman....................

I don't want to stop you slagging of a Government from about 25yrs ago. But it would be more accurate to say the Roman Galley (i think that's what it was called) Started to go downhill when the new dual-carriageway went in and left it somewhat stranded.
  • And what's happened to teh Welcome Inn on Well Hall Road, a couple of doors up from my dentists???

You can tell I haven't had a check up for a bit.
  • edited April 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JVL[/cite]And what's happened to teh Welcome Inn on Well Hall Road, a couple of doors up from my dentists???

Finally bit the bullet totally - now flats. you can get as dewy eyeed about how great it was 20 years ago, by the time it was finally flattened it was really time to go
  • [cite]Posted By: JVL[/cite]And what's happened to teh Welcome Inn on Well Hall Road, a couple of doors up from my dentists???

Been closed for a couple of years, planning permission was not granted for it to be turned into flats. Luckly it burnt down and planning was granted for flats to be built. ;-0)
  • There was an absolutely beautiful Victorian Thames Water pumping station building, on the Ravensbourne river (what Deptford Creek turns into) in Brookmill Park, on Brookmill Road just between St John's BR and Elverson Rd DLR stations, that I used to cycle past on my way to Deptford. Just stunning.

That was mysteriously burnt down a few years ago and that hideous arts centre thing went up immediately.

I always wondered how much those kids were paid to get rid of it, and also noted the mild irony of burning down a water works.