Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

All aboard the Hyperloop

The future of transport and the aim is to have it in operation by 2027.

https://apple.news/A556LEVLnS1C4KOqLOPA2Gg

Comments

• Absolutely wonderful and if we see any hyperloop providing public transport here in the U.K. in the next 50 years I’d be amazed.
  • the first 4 letters spell out the reality .. pure Branson H Y P E
  • Noone going to take his plane to Mars then?
  • Their description of Branson looks to have been lifted straight from one of my early school reports, "He is a consummate dreamer".

Over all I like the concept, I remember thinking years ago that they should have a transport system built like those vacuum tubes they used to have in department stores. I'm glad someone's going to make it happen. 

The only thing that concerned me was the reference to Yosemite. I would hate the boundaries between city and wilderness to get blurred and the wilderness to get overcrowded. 
  • I was in a meeting with my boss and one of my law firm clients a few years ago and this came up as part of the conversation (just what sort of work they were doing).  My boss is a Cambridge graduate who is one of those guys that just knows a lot about everything.  A couple of people he was at Cambridge with were working on this and the law firm were helping another group.  The theory was fantastic then and looks like it's getting closer to reality now.  Could even be in before Crossrail and definitely HS2!!!  ;)      
  • Thats not a train!!... This is a train!!

• The correct word for this sort of thing is "GadgetBahn".

Even when they work they tend to be completely pointless!
  • Thats not a train!!... This is a train!!

Can we make this an NSFW thread please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think hyperloops are really exciting, an achievable safe, green alternative to air travel. 
  • Let’s see how much they wanna charge us to use it first.
  • Here it is, the new shiny Hyperloop, it'll change the way we travel! NYC to LA in under 6 hours, only 17 changes! Tickets start at $75000 as it cost us $7000billion to build the bloody thing
  • TelMc32 said:
    I was in a meeting with my boss and one of my law firm clients a few years ago and this came up as part of the conversation (just what sort of work they were doing).  My boss is a Cambridge graduate who is one of those guys that just knows a lot about everything.  A couple of people he was at Cambridge with were working on this and the law firm were helping another group.  The theory was fantastic then and looks like it's getting closer to reality now.  Could even be in before Crossrail and definitely HS2!!!  ;)      
    Not a chance. While the technology looks like it will get there, you still have to build the tunnels which requires planing, compulsory purchase, tunnel boring machines, vent shafts etc etc. Will be fantastic when/if it happens (London to Edinburgh in less than an hour) but it will take at least 20 to 30 years. Using it for freight on shorter routes may be come about sooner.
  • Jints said:
    TelMc32 said:
    I was in a meeting with my boss and one of my law firm clients a few years ago and this came up as part of the conversation (just what sort of work they were doing).  My boss is a Cambridge graduate who is one of those guys that just knows a lot about everything.  A couple of people he was at Cambridge with were working on this and the law firm were helping another group.  The theory was fantastic then and looks like it's getting closer to reality now.  Could even be in before Crossrail and definitely HS2!!!  ;)      
    Not a chance. While the technology looks like it will get there, you still have to build the tunnels which requires planing, compulsory purchase, tunnel boring machines, vent shafts etc etc. Will be fantastic when/if it happens (London to Edinburgh in less than an hour) but it will take at least 20 to 30 years. Using it for freight on shorter routes may be come about sooner.
    Do you need tunnels? Compulsory purchase, sure. But surely its just sticking a bunch of tubes together?
  • Jints said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Do you need tunnels? Compulsory purchase, sure. But surely its just sticking a bunch of tubes together?
    You could do it some/most of it on viaducts for sure but any inter city route will need to go through areas of outstanding natural beauty and it will need to tunnel through those (as HS2 is having to do with the Chilterns). Also quite difficult to put viaducts in cities (it can be done where the land is cheap as was the case with DLR). But the fact is that no real plannig work has been done on hyperloop in the UK and there isn't an organisation seriously promoting it here. 

I suppose the easiest and quickest way to get it up would be to replace existing rail lines with hyperlink tubes but I suspect we woudl want to see the technology up and running in otehr places for some time. Ironically HS2 may make that possible as theer will be two lines between London and Manchester rather than one if it goes ahead. 
  • Hopefully quicker than Valley Express…
  • Mike Oldfield must be proud of what his success has funded(partly)
  • Dread to think of the peak time ticket cost. 
  • They'll build it THEN put South Eastern in charge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Think hyperloops are really exciting, an achievable safe, green alternative to air travel. 
    If it gets beyond the realms of fantasy hype into actual production (unlikely) it could potentially replace some internal air travel (e.g London to Edinburgh), but that would be on a small scale relative to the number of air routes and be subject to having huge pipes winding their way through and under the country - this isn't years away, but decades away at best.
  • I assumed this would be a thread complaining about ‘Rumours rumours’. 
  • Have they thought about "points" and stations would work?

What happens if they build London - Edinburgh and I want to get off at York or go to Glasgow?
  • Have they thought about "points" and stations would work?

What happens if they build London - Edinburgh and I want to get off at York or go to Glasgow?
    You get a train or drive mate 
  • The future of transport and the aim is to have it in operation by 2027.

https://apple.news/A556LEVLnS1C4KOqLOPA2Gg

"The biggest piece of that test was that the world saw two people get on a hyperloop, and saw two people get off."

Imagine if they'd tested it with rabbits.

• Well they probably would have thought they'd accidentally invented a cloning machine