Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New boiler questions/Heatable

I have an old conventional gas boiler that needs replacing in a 4 adult, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, semi detached in Bromley.
I'm unsure whether to choose another conventional boiler and keep the cylinder & water tank or go for a combi.

I read somewhere that a combi is only a good idea if the water pipe into the house is 22m or more (don't know how I would tell without lifting floorboards).
The water pipe under kitchen sink looks like 15mm.

I also had a new power shower installed a year ago that cost £350 inc labour.
So is that removed and redundant if I get a combi?
Seems a waste of money.

My usual plumber is on holibobs, so can't ask him atm and don't think he's gas safe registered in any case.

Worcester, Viessman, Ideal, Vaillant, Baxi look the best in that order.

I saw a company online called Heatable which have truly outstanding reviews on Trustpilot.
They couldn't have better reviews if they wrote them all themselves.
Has anyone used them/heard anything about them? https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/heatable.co.uk?b=MTYyNjE1NTczODAwMHw2MGVkMmFkYWY5ZjQ4NzAyYTg5ODFmMDg

(Apologies for asking)

Comments

• I prefer conventional with mega flo water tank. 
    Hot water at mains pressure.
  • We had our boiler replaced 4 years ago.  We wanted a combi but were advised not to as 5 of our radiators are old and may not take mains pressure water.  Also, I think our 22mm supply pipe had to be changed to 28mm.  We also had to have an earth spike installed. 
  • I have an old conventional gas boiler that needs replacing in a 4 adult, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, semi detached in Bromley.
    I'm unsure whether to choose another conventional boiler and keep the cylinder & water tank or go for a combi.

I read somewhere that a combi is only a good idea if the water pipe into the house is 22m or more (don't know how I would tell without lifting floorboards).

Seems a waste of money.

My usual plumber is on holibobs, so can't ask him atm and don't think he's gas safe registered in any case.

I saw a company online called Heatable which have truly outstanding reviews on Trustpilot.
    Has anyone used them/heard anything about them? https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/heatable.co.uk?b=MTYyNjE1NTczODAwMHw2MGVkMmFkYWY5ZjQ4NzAyYTg5ODFmMDg

(Apologies for asking)

I’m having a combi fitted next week , ur shower will be redundant as u don’t fit a power shower to it I’m having all new pipe work as my pipes are also too small for a combi & as we have been waiting 6 months to have it done with lots of other work I was informed by the fitters yesterday that the price of copper has increased 100% so my quote goes up a bit but it’s not that much in the scheme of things.

It is essential for us as I’m extending a room into the airing cupboard the cylinder is in & I also want the room in the loft from the water tank for when I force a train set on the kids but also need to keep it out of their unsupervised reach!
  • I’ve had a fair few semi’s in Bromley. 
  • Seriously though, I had a Worcester Bosch installed earlier this year.  Had to have all the pipe work changed  as we didn’t have a combi before. Best 3.5k I have ever spent.  We were at the stage where the hot water for a shower lasted about 2 mins. 
  • we’ve we’ve just had our whole system replaced in a 4 bed 2 bath house, 3 kids. Went for an ideal boiler with 250l pressurised cylinder in the loft. Every plumber I spoke to said avoid combi boilers for a large family with multiple bathrooms 
  • Get a conventional system. A Combi is fine for a smaller property, but with a large requirement for hot water and heating (particularly in winter) the flow rate for hot water can be appalling. Most combis also struggle with flow rates when more than one appliance is used simultaneously - which can be a pain in the arse if you're in the shower and someone flushes the loo.

If you have a new HWC as well then you have enough storage for several showers as older ones will tend to fur up over several years.

That's what you get for looking through Elfsborgs window while he's having a shower 
    And old boilers
  • Used Heatable to replace my boiler just before Christmas. I'm as far as you can get from an expert on these things but they got it booked in quick, replaced it with no hassle and the new Worcester works like a dream. 
  • Sponsored links:

That's what you get for looking through Elfsborgs window while he's having a shower 
    I have to say S, I was very surprised to see you in it with him. 
  • I have an old conventional gas boiler that needs replacing in a 4 adult, 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom, semi detached in Bromley.

Seems a waste of money.

(Apologies for asking)

I'll pm you a number mate.
    I have to say S, I was very surprised to see you in it with him. 
    😲
    I take that as a compliment Rambo.
    However, Dicky you are not getting into the dirtbox.
  • Get a megaflow, I think I gave you my carpenters number once, he has a really good plumber, Paul he'll advise.
  • I am about to replace a 13 year old Ideal combi boiler. According to my plumber, Ideal boilers used to be awful but are decent now. Mine he rated as average.
    It's not failing yet, but no plumber will service it on the grounds it wont like being disturbed, they just check the combustion efficiency, emissions and if they reckon it won't kill me they let me carry on.
    This is not a big house and it mostly just has me in it. It's the first time I've had a combi and I love never running out of hot water, nor having to heat water unnecessarily. On the downside, in the winter the capacity of the boiler to heat the water is limited so running a bath needs just the hot tap or it won't be hot enough. The new boiler will be a Vaillant with 10 year guarantee, and I may well sell the house next year anyway.
    But here's the thing. A recent leak at a neighbour's (number 36) caused her to turn off the stopcock in her house. Suddenly I had no water (number 30). And a quick chat with my neighbours at 24, 26, 28 and 34 revealed that none of them had water either. It turns out that all 6 houses are supplied with water via one 15mm pipe running through 36 and disappearing through the floor to run behind the other houses with a spur to each. 32 has his own supply, connected directly to the mains, so he is fine.
    The houses were built in 1790 or so, the water pipe probably went in around 1900, and every single house has been extended rearwards over the top of it since. It's a nightmare.
    But oddly none of us have poor water pressure even though it's one teeny tiny pipe that serves us all. Might help that we are at the bottom of a hill, but my boiler manages to pump hot water up to the second floor radiator perfectly well, and the shower is a lot better than many for pressure.

• Combi will be fine,no need for a mega flow with one bathroom but will have to get rid of pump to shower as not compatible.
    shower still be decent as long as your flow rate into house sufficient which would need to be checked before install👍
  • Combi boilers are great for 1 bathroom . 
    Ideal, baxi, potterton are ok mid range.
    Worcester very good but bit to much plastic inside for me and a shit to work on. Reliable tho and great marketing and freebies for us engineers. 
    But
    You cant beat a vaillant . Love em.  Soild built and almost silent. 

• Combis we’re designed for 1 bed flats originally as small and compact but larger properties im not a fan of if possible always a system boiler and cylinder ( invented ) as above Vaillaint are all we fit or veissmann although veissmann can be a pain to get parts for down the line - Vaillaint if fitted by an approved installer carry a pretty good gaurantee. 
  • When your combi goes wrong you have cold water to wash with. If you can put up with that prospect then saving the space of a tank in an airing cupboard is ok. But not for me. Megaflow too many advantages to ignore. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Aren’t on demand gas combis generally a lot cheaper than electric mega flows to run?
  • I’ve been toying with air source heat pump in my new place. Big old house tho and need to upgrade the insulation and most rads. Have seen some say pipes may also need upgrading.

Currently have an underspecced gas non pressured central heating, and a hot water electric cylinder with a pump to the main shower (two other bathrooms with showers that get sod all hot pressure - but barely used)
  • When your combi goes wrong you have cold water to wash with. If you can put up with that prospect then saving the space of a tank in an airing cupboard is ok. But not for me. Megaflow too many advantages to ignore. 

Yes, happened to me the november before last, for three weeks.

Invigorating!
  • I'm off grid for gas and currently use oil (Rayburn) for water and heating.
    Ripping it all out and getting one of these installed in a couple of weeks along with supposedly state of the art electric heating. I'll let you know if I've been sold a pup! 

https://www.northwestheatingsolutions.co.uk/sunamp-hot-water/