Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euro 2020 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Fancy Spain to win the competition. Can score goals for fun and defensively can tighten up.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    Jeez that penalty from Mbappe was worse than our saved ones last season.

Mbappe has proper bottled this competition.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Switzerland isn't a country you can get passionate about
    A thousand years of peace and what do they give us?  The cuckoo clock.
  • Options
    I guess Spain are the big winners from yesterday, play Switzerland in the quarters, hope Belgium and Italy tear each other to pieces in the other and play whatever’s left of the winner in the semis.
  • Options
    Switzerland have fucked this up massively 
    Did they say he'd missed his last 2 pens?  Why give him this one?!
    So they can now say he's missed his last three.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Class goal from Pogba, looks so much better playing for France than he does for Man U
    Because he's got better players around him when he plays for France?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    This tournament has been shit……
    Was just about to type this. How can any football fan not be completely loving this?
    Ms AA isn't a football fan, it runs watching people pick up dog mess in the park a close second as her least interesting spectator experience, but she really got into this game from the third Swiss goal.  Even insisted on watching the penalties.
  • Options
    TWO games in a day where a team 3-1 down has scored 2 late goals to equalise. That’s ridiculous 
    I know we did it once against Notts County away, it's possible we did it two seasons on the trot.
  • Options
    My 15 year old son has a school mate with a Welsh father and English/French mum
    i asked him his national footballing preference last week 
    1.Wales
    2.France 
    3. England 

my son said he’s gonna ask him if he has any German relations and if he can support them tonight 
    Should have kicked his legs out from under him
  • Options
    F***ING arrogant prick Pogba folding his arms after his goal then doing his silly dancing. Two goals from the Swiss shoved that back in his face - heroes the lot of them for being brave and exposing France's weaknesses - heroes to me whatever happens next.
    Shades of Pardew.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    How pundits and fans judge penalties these days is mental isn't it? A players can tap it 5mph, slightly left-of-centre and if the keeper goes the wrong way, it's a "good penalty" and he "never looked in doubt."

You can also hit it hard and in the corner, but if the keeper guesses correctly and saves it, it's "not a good penalty" and he "always looked nervous."
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I can’t stand the lower case names on the Swiss shirts. 
    Maybe it's a font that doesn't have capitals.
  • Options
    I swear penalty taking in shoot-outs is getting much better.
    We saw Brizzle - Grimsby play-off final a few years back, football was awful, penalties were worldies.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Name a better day of international tournament football
    11th July, 1966.
  • Options
    Imagine how insufferable Southgate will be if we win this
    He can come round and rump the missus if we win it 
    I heard your missus said the same about you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Imagine how insufferable Southgate will be if we win this
    He can come round and rump the missus if we win it 
    I heard your missus said the same about you.
    *grows beard and searching for my Waistcoat Wednesday outfit...

:-)  
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    How pundits and fans judge penalties these days is mental isn't it? A players can tap it 5mph, slightly left-of-centre and if the keeper goes the wrong way, it's a "good penalty" and he "never looked in doubt."

You can also hit it hard and in the corner, but if the keeper guesses correctly and saves it, it's "not a good penalty" and he "always looked nervous."
    The quality of penalties is sky high at the moment. Means that if a decent pen is saved after 10 perfect ones have been scored then the decent pen will be judged as a bad one.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

The quality of penalties is sky high at the moment. Means that if a decent pen is saved after 10 perfect ones have been scored then the decent pen will be judged as a bad one.
    Mbappe's one was a better penalty than the one Lloris almost/should have saved, it was a good save by Sommer.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

It wasn't a bad penalty, but it wasn't a good one either as it wasn't right in the corner and it was at the "saveable" height unlike those drilled along the ground, or hit into the roof of the net like Pogba's

From memory, similar to Schwartz's
    No saved penalty can be classed a good one. 
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Big boys, pah!

Czechs v Swiss final.
    Ahem, page 128.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chunes said:

It wasn't a bad penalty, but it wasn't a good one either as it wasn't right in the corner and it was at the "saveable" height unlike those drilled along the ground, or hit into the roof of the net like Pogba's

From memory, similar to Schwartz's
    But if the keeper guesses the wrong way, those get called good penalties
  • Options
    My 15 year old son has a school mate with a Welsh father and English/French mum
    i asked him his national footballing preference last week 
    1.Wales
    2.France 
    3. England 

my son said he’s gonna ask him if he has any German relations and if he can support them tonight 
    Should have kicked his legs out from under him
    I took him at the age of 8 to his first football match Charlton v someone shit in League One I think , so enough punishment and he’s a Liverpool fan so I hate the Cnut 
  • Options
    I like the mind games when they do a bit of a Taylor (spit) and play cat and mouse with the keeper and bang back of the net before keeper can react 
  • Options
    Our 5 pens against Germany in Euro '96 were very, very good.
    It's just that the bloody Germans matched them.
    Then up stepped Gareth, who hadn't taken a penalty in his life, all because more senior pro's bottled it (yeh, I'm looking at you "Guvnor")
    Even then the German's still had to score theirs, but Andreas Moeller stepped up with supreme confidence and smashed it.
    Quite honestly I'd be much more worried about our first five takers tonight than in '96.
    Let's beat them in normal time.