Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Underrated Footballers

124»

Comments

• That Fofana who plays for Leicester currently.
    Hoddle and Waddle back in days. I feel they were underrated. 

The only time Hoddle and Waddle weren't rated was on Top of the Pops
  • Some strange interpretations of “underrated” on this thread.

I'm not sure George Best was ever "underrated".

Mark Stuart was underrated. Brendan O'Connell was underrated. 

Bernado Silva , Kante, Giroud, Lewandowski are not underrated.
    You seem to be hinting that quality players cannot be underrated, why not? For the record, I agree on Kante and Lewandowski, but disagree on Giroud in particular. Not used enough, always does the job. 
  • Claude makelele whilst not under rated doesn't get talked about amongst great midfielders because he didn't get many goals or assists.

You seem to be hinting that quality players cannot be underrated, why not? For the record, I agree on Kante and Lewandowski, but disagree on Giroud in particular. Not used enough, always does the job. 
    Giroud has 350 Premier League and 108 International games under his belt. I can't see how that is underrated by any definition of the word - "not rated or valued highly enough" - those numbers suggest he is highly rated. 

Le Tissier was never underated. In Southampton he is still known as Le God. He played over 500 top flight games. That he only got 8 England caps isnt a sign of being underrated - in fact quite the opposite, he was rated enough to be a full international.

Underrated are surely those players that aren't appreciated for what they offer. I think Mark Stuart is a good example. Averaged 20 games a season for us, sold to Plymouth, and ultimately played his highest number of games for Rochdale, yet I thought he always made us more threatening going forward when we were playing in the top flight. His career trajectory suggests to me that he was underrated.

Giroud has 350 Premier League and 108 International games under his belt. I can't see how that is underrated by any definition of the word - "not rated or valued highly enough" - those numbers suggest he is highly rated. 

Le Tissier was never underated. In Southampton he is still known as Le God. He played over 500 top flight games. That he only got 8 England caps isnt a sign of being underrated - in fact quite the opposite, he was rated enough to be a full international.

Underrated are surely those players that aren't appreciated for what they offer. I think Mark Stuart is a good example. Averaged 20 games a season for us, sold to Plymouth, and ultimately played his highest number of games for Rochdale, yet I thought he always made us more threatening going forward when we were playing in the top flight. His career trajectory suggests to me that he was underrated.

The debate around Giroud is why I started the thread. I feel he has been  underused at Chelsea, behind Werner and Abraham. 17 appearances in the Prem this season starting just 20% of them. Season before, just 18 prem appearances. Benzema is now back in the fold with France and Girouds had to drop to the bench. It was only 3 seasons ago that Giroud was leading the line when they won the World Cup. He’s even come out this week and had a dig at teammates not passing to him cos he feels they don’t rate him. 

The debate around Giroud is why I started the thread. I feel he has been  underused at Chelsea, behind Werner and Abraham. 17 appearances in the Prem this season starting just 20% of them. Season before, just 18 prem appearances. Benzema is now back in the fold with France and Girouds had to drop to the bench. It was only 3 seasons ago that Giroud was leading the line when they won the World Cup. He’s even come out this week and had a dig at teammates not passing to him cos he feels they don’t rate him. 
    I think there is a difference between underused and underrated. I'd agree he is underused (as I would agree Le Tissier was underused by England) but that's not the same as underrated.
  • Claude makelele whilst not under rated doesn't get talked about amongst great midfielders because he didn't get many goals or assists.
    His crap "penalty" against us, despite scoring the rebound was evidence of that

I think there is a difference between underused and underrated. I'd agree he is underused (as I would agree Le Tissier was underused by England) but that's not the same as underrated.
    Disagree, surely hes been underused because he isnt rated. If Le Tissier was rated by England managers he would have got more caps? 

If I said Lionel Messi was the 80th greatest player ever would I not be under rating him despite acknowledging he is very very good? 
  • John Humphrey … One of the best right backs never to have played for England
  • Ndidi at Leicester is another one for me. Absolute class act.
    Yes indeedy. 
  • Sponsored links:

Disagree, surely hes been underused because he isnt rated. If Le Tissier was rated by England managers he would have got more caps? 

If I said Lionel Messi was the 80th greatest player ever would I not be under rating him despite acknowledging he is very very good? 
    Maybe its semantics and we are both right  ;)

I think if you ask any football fan if they would "rate" Le Tissier, the answer would be yes. I suspect if you asked the England managers around at the time, they would also have "rated" Le Tissier as a player. However, he may not have worked in the system they wanted to play. So he may have been both rated by the manager and underused in the opinion of supporters.

If you thought Messi was the 80th greatest player in the world, I wouldn't say that's underrating him- rather you rate 79 players more. He can still be "rated"...

Ultimately "underrated" is an opinion. I think Mark Stuart was underrated - based on previous threads there are many on here who thought he was shite.
  • Radoshin Kisheshev.

Was a regular for us in our Premier League years and “did a job”. However, it was when he came back to the Valley to play for Brighton in a League One game in his mid 30’s, that one could tell he was a class apart from just about everyone else on the pitch and certainly those playing for Charlton that day.