Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Underrated Footballers

We’ve probably done this before, but talking to mates about Olivier Giroud after scoring two tonight for France (albeit against Bulgaria), who would you say are the most underrated footballers of all time or playing now?

Comments

• Giroud is number one by miles. Scores whenever he is on the pitch, yet finds himself behind Tammy Abraham in the pecking order. Mental.
  • N'Golo Kanté
  • Sam Bartram springs to mind.  Underrated not by Charlton of course but by England.
  • Arsenal have made a lot of stupid mistakes in recent years, but not doing everything they could to keep Giroud was bizarre. 
  • N'Golo Kanté
    The media believe him to be the second coming of Christ
  • Jordan Stockley
  • Currently I’ve always said Stuart Dallas at Leeds. Fantastic player.
  • N'Golo Kanté
    He is not underrated. Currently getting the attention he deserves.

5/1 for the Ballon D’or
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure if he really fits into this category but the Real Madrid team that Claude Makelele was in was probably at the height of the Galacticos era what with Zidane, Figo, Raul and Ronaldo. Every time I watched them play on TV he was their best player. Definitely the unsung hero of that side.
  • Giroud was the first player that came to mind when I saw the thread title.
    Quality player.
  • We’ve probably done this before, but talking to mates about Olivier Giroud after scoring two tonight for France (albeit against Bulgaria), who would you say are the most underrated footballers of all time or playing now?
    Just looked Giroud's stats up. Second on all time goal scoring list for France. Must have a squeak of overtaking Henry and being their leading scorer. Fair play that's impressive. 
  • He was underplayed at Arsenal and then Chelsea. I can only think he’s a terrible trainer or he doesn’t listen to tactical instructions. 
  • Bernardo Silva maybe? Phenomenal player that seems to have been forgotten about recently. 

So consistent and really fun to watch.
  • Saint- maximin? I think he’s quality, though probably rated fairly high. 
    McGinn and Tierney? 

• Kalvin Phillips. His step up to Premier league and now internationals has been so smooth.
  • Always think Azpilicueta is a bit underrated. Been a big fan for years and although he's rated, people never really talk about him as being one of the best defenders in the Prem, whereas I think he's been phenomenial over a long period of time for Chelsea. Looked like he was finished under Lampard, but came back to captain them to a Champions League title. Can count on one hand the number of bad games I've seen him have and he's been at Chelsea 9 years now with 400 odd appearances. 

I think Fabinho was for a time, but when he was missing this season the pundits were really highlighting his absence so probably not anymore. Wijnaldum similar, mainly because people were just raving about Alisson, Van Dijk and the front three forgetting the brilliant work that Liverpool's midfield did. 
    Azpilicueta is one of the best defender in prem history. Consistently brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Always think Azpilicueta is a bit underrated. Been a big fan for years and although he's rated, people never really talk about him as being one of the best defenders in the Prem, whereas I think he's been phenomenial over a long period of time for Chelsea. Looked like he was finished under Lampard, but came back to captain them to a Champions League title. Can count on one hand the number of bad games I've seen him have and he's been at Chelsea 9 years now with 400 odd appearances. 

I think Fabinho was for a time, but when he was missing this season the pundits were really highlighting his absence so probably not anymore. Wijnaldum similar, mainly because people were just raving about Alisson, Van Dijk and the front three forgetting the brilliant work that Liverpool's midfield did. 
    Azpilicueta is one of the best defender in prem history. Consistently brilliant.
    Totally agree, just feel he's not quite recognised, possibly because it's consistency rather than excellence. Has played a part going forward too, had a good relationship with Morata for a time where he was getting a load of assists with quality deliveries. Played RB, RWB and CB, always know he won't let you down. 
  • Graham Stuart
    We'd have stayed up in 1998/99 had he signed earlier that season
  • Youri Djorkaeff
  • edited June 2021
    Johnny Humphreys
  • Robert Lewandowski.

I know he is well rated by many people, but I genuinely believe that if we were not living in the Messi/Ronaldo era then he would be getting more plaudits and regarded as one of the best strikers of the last 20 odd years.
  • Madjid Boughera.
  • Madjid Boughera.
  • Steve Bruce
  • Madjid Boughera.
    You can say that again