Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton V Forest 1977 (Aggro)

Knocked down my mum and dads battered old conservatory to make room for an extension, found old newspaper in the walls, with the following small article, anyone recall this or remember the game?  Google tells me it was January 1977.

Comments

• Yes. They turned up at the ground early and went in the Covered End. Kick offs throughout the game.
  • I was there that night, can’t recall anything about the match but remember it was lively under the Covered End and afterwards my dad and I followed them up Floyd Road putting the cars back up the right way.
  • Remember it well - was in the right side covered end close to the forest & OB managed to keep most apart during the game but at the end it was carnage. Found out who your mates were that night 
  • Addickted said:
    Yes. They turned up at the ground early and went in the Covered End. Kick offs throughout the game.
    Five of them in fact 
  • Was at that game and don't remember anything happening, if i do recall we were superb that night and well worthy of our win, didn't we draw up there earlier that season 1-1.
  • edited June 2021
    A strange night, i don’t think anyone expected them to turn up in force. As mentioned they got in the Covered end early were promptly surrounded by OB. The rest of the match was spent trying to get at each other.
    One of them produced an axe from his sleeve in the bar at half time  :/
    Afterwards some of them went to the RoD then tried to get in the Pickwick but were repulsed. Fighting was still going on at midnight on the lower road.
  • They put in a load of windows in the village beforehand, then got in the covered end early.
    Most of the game was an on off fight with Charlton trying to get them out.
    A cold night which we won on the field and drew off it.
  • clb74 said:
    Did they get in covered early that night?
    Yes.
  • Sponsored links:

• When I was a kid my Kate's and I always met in the covered end. One midweek game which must of been a cup game I was late and run up the steps and into the covered end before I realised it was totally full of west ham supporters. Couldn't get back out so had to hid my scarf inside my coat and shat myself the whole game lol
  • Mates (bloody spell check)
  • edited June 2021
    Unbelievable that 16 months later, with very few changes, that Forest team won Division 1, ie the Prem to you young uns.

As someone said there was only 5 of them. I still remember one of them in a large donkey jacket and moustache. As they were at the top of the terrace no one could get behind them. Pretty immovable really. 
  • Unbelievable that 16 months later, with very few changes, that Forest team won Division 1, ie the Prem to you young uns.

As someone said there was only 5 of them. I still remember one of them in a large donkey jacket and moustache. As they were at the top of the terrace no one could get behind them. Pretty immovable really. 
    5 geezers 'took' the Covered End?
  • We had just moved oop north and this match was the first one I missed. The whole reality of the move really sunk in that night and I remember like it was yesterday sounding off at the old man big style for dragging me up north, telling him I was on the first train back to London in the morning! 
  • Unbelievable that 16 months later, with very few changes, that Forest team won Division 1, ie the Prem to you young uns.

5 geezers 'took' the Covered End?
    Not sure there were only 5, maybe it's a long time ago now but they were surrounded by old bill so no they didn't take the Covered End. Couldn't understand why the old bill never moved them out ?
  • If I'm honest I can't remember how many there were, but I was thinking more like 50-100.
    If there were 5 they would have been nicked.

Is 5 a typo ?
    There were about 60/70 imo.
  • A strange night, i don’t think anyone expected them to turn up in force. As mentioned they got in the Covered end early were promptly surrounded by OB. The rest of the match was spent trying to get at each other.
    Afterwards some of them went to the RoD then tried to get in the Pickwick but were repulsed. Fighting was still going on at midnight on the lower road.

If I remember correctly, axe man was calmly told to put it away or use it !!
  • Sponsored links:

• My first ever game aged 6.5 years don’t recall any of it , just looked it up it was a Friday night .
    I reckon Forest must have had a decent following and so it began ….
    Nothing much has changed then.

And a year after that they were Champions of Europe.
  • A strange night, i don’t think anyone expected them to turn up in force. As mentioned they got in the Covered end early were promptly surrounded by OB. The rest of the match was spent trying to get at each other.
    Afterwards some of them went to the RoD then tried to get in the Pickwick but were repulsed. Fighting was still going on at midnight on the lower road

I remember that. He had a sheepskin on and got the axe out to show everyone.
  • Football back in the day sounds rubbish 
  • se9addick said:
    Football back in the day sounds rubbish 
    It was not sterile, like today.  There was passion.
  • se9addick said:
    and the smell of beer, fags, piss and pies.
  • I rode my sports moped through them after the match in Floyd Road. I soon realised that it was a bad move, many more than 60 or 70 a good few kicks and punches fended off at the same time as making progress trying to keep upright.

Amazingly got through unscathed. 

Is 5 a typo ?
    There were about 60/70 imo.
    A joke about there being five kick offs, i.e. starts and restarts, has been misunderstood and has somehow turned into there being five people. 
    Agree with SE9 though. Sounds shit. 
  • se9addick said:
    and the smell of beer, fags, piss and pies.
    …and Worthington E