Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car Accident Advice

2»

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Who are you insured with? At £6k and not 100% confident that they can successfully repair I'd say very borderline insurers will agree to repair (if indeed they agree the value at 12k). Fingers crossed.
    Agreed. At that figure for the repair (and assuming they can fix the B pillar) then I would say probably write-off. I think most insurers use 50-60% of the car value as a repair cost as the cut-off point for write-off. £6k with a question mark over the structural damage is very borderline and my guess is a write-off.   
    On a sub £15k value it's normally 50% but does vary insurer to insurer, especially if they have their own repair shop (which sounds like this one isn't) they may go to 65% if not too busy.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Who are you insured with? At £6k and not 100% confident that they can successfully repair I'd say very borderline insurers will agree to repair (if indeed they agree the value at 12k). Fingers crossed.
    She's currently with Diamond.
  • edited May 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    OK, that's in effect Admiral. They tend to work on 50%, so sadly I'd be surprised if they do a repair based on what you have said. They also tend to work on CAP guide pricing to work that out and I doubt that'll be 12k but will depend on the model etc.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    OK, that's in effect Admiral. They tend to work on 50%, so sadly I'd be surprised if they do a repair based on what you have said. They also tend to work on CAP guide pricing to work that out and I doubt that'll be 12k but will depend on the model etc.
    Cheers for your thoughts on it, to be honest I'm fully prepared for it to be a write off

Thankfully my wife does have GAP Insurance, although a bit confused as to how it works, if my wife purchased the car for £13,250, yet were to only get £12,000 from Diamond... Does that mean the GAP Company (if they agree with the Insurance's valuation) would provide £1,320?

Has anyone ever purchased from Cazoo before now? - i.e. Already getting prepared to look around for a replacement
  • edited May 2021
    Depends on the type of GAP insurance you bought, the better one's are return to invoice, so yes the difference between what the insurers pay (before excess) and what you paid. But check the policy wording.
  • Had Gap insurance years ago on a Galaxy. Paid 19k for it and it was stolen off our drive after they broke in and took the keys after we had had it for nearly 2 years. Main insurers paid out around value, say 9k, and i went to'gap' and asked for the rest. They said main insurers had underpaid me but told them not my problem and for them to take it up with main insurer. They gave way in the end and paid out 19k between them.    Make sure you tell the Gap people now, so they can liase with main insurers as to who is paying what, because both will want to pay as little as possible. We bought another Galaxy for 17k and made 2k profit.
  • Had Gap insurance years ago on a Galaxy. Paid 19k for it and it was stolen off our drive after they broke in and took the keys after we had had it for nearly 2 years. Main insurers paid out around value, say 9k, and i went to'gap' and asked for the rest. They said main insurers had underpaid me but told them not my problem and for them to take it up with main insurer. They gave way in the end and paid out 19k between them.    Make sure you tell the Gap people now, so they can liase with main insurers as to who is paying what, because both will want to pay as little as possible. We bought another Galaxy for 17k and made 2k profit.
    Cheers, I read up on that on a car forum yesterday so will get my Wife to call them tomorrow
  • I've got my classic on an agreed valuation policy. Means that if the cost to repair is less than the valuation, the work goes ahead.

Thankfully never had to claim on it so not sure how good they are at keeping to their word if the worst happens. 

Don't think it's an option for moderns though.
  • I've got my classic on an agreed valuation policy. Means that if the cost to repair is less than the valuation, the work goes ahead.

Thankfully never had to claim on it so not sure how good they are at keeping to their word if the worst happens. 

Don't think it's an option for moderns though.
    I'd check your wording/policy, an agreed value doesn't necessarily mean that, for most it just means if they write it off that's what you get, not that they won't write it off if the repair costs are below the AV. 
  • Hi F A , I purchased a Volvo from Cazoo about 7 months ago , no complaints whatsoever. The days of traipsing around dealers are over for me . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Hi F A , I purchased a Volvo from Cazoo about 7 months ago , no complaints whatsoever. The days of traipsing around dealers are over for me . 
    Cheers, been curious as to their vehicles as you dont get to see the condition of the car before you purchase etc.

Suppose thats the beauty of being able to send back if you aren't happy when it arrives 
  • edited May 2021
    Rob7Lee said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cheers for your thoughts on it, to be honest I'm fully prepared for it to be a write off

Thankfully my wife does have GAP Insurance, although a bit confused as to how it works, if my wife purchased the car for £13,250, yet were to only get £12,000 from Diamond... Does that mean the GAP Company (if they agree with the Insurance's valuation) would provide £1,320?

Has anyone ever purchased from Cazoo before now? - i.e. Already getting prepared to look around for a replacement
    No, I can't believe anyone would buy a second hand car without actually looking at it and driving it first.  But....an interesting article from a year ago...setting out Cazoo's potential difficulties https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/james-baggott-will-cazoo-learn-painful-lessons-killed-off-tesco-cars/183159
    And yet they are still here. (But maybe only because they had the foresight to choose a name with a "K sound".  It's the marketing killer. We all love the "k sound" apparently which is why so many brands and, in particular, car models use it.)
  • edited May 2021
    Re- purchase of my Volvo car from Cazoo, I’m very much a car person and I agree it’s not ideal for everyone, but the service I received from Cazoo was excellent and the car exceeded my expectations and I’m very fussy and the minor cosmetic faults  that  Cazoo flagged up , I would never have noticed.
  • Wow... Bauer has popped up at the back post with a header, just need to see if it can be deflected in now

Had an email confirming that repairs will be undertaken, so just got to wait and hope now that the Garage can repair the B-Pillar as they believe

Really surprised its not an instant write off myself... Given the fact that the Garage isnt 100% confident whether they can or not I didnt think that the Insurance Company would be happy spending £6k out for repairs, only for it to then be written off still
  • Wow... Bauer has popped up at the back post with a header, just need to see if it can be deflected in now

Had an email confirming that repairs will be undertaken, so just got to wait and hope now that the Garage can repair the B-Pillar as they believe

Really surprised its not an instant write off myself... Given the fact that the Garage isnt 100% confident whether they can or not I didnt think that the Insurance Company would be happy spending £6k out for repairs, only for it to then be written off still
    A good garage/body shop once they start the work will see quickly if it’s repairable or not, before getting to the 6k limit!

The result will have to be that the car is returned to 100% of its structural integrity - and this is something you need to be confident with. Yes, a good garage will not compromise, but any doubt, however small, it's best they write it off.
    Your wife has to not only be safe driving it, but feel safe driving it.