Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Valley Express 21/22 season (Ed. Price reduced)

Anyone know what the score is re Valley Express for home games next season? 

Looked on the website but it seems to refer to 19/20 season

Thanks

Comments

• How much they charge ?.
  • How much they charge ?.
    Think it was around £11 quid a game from my neck of the woods but they do season tickets too.
  • What time does it pick up from Low Moor? 
  • I'd be surprised if there are announcements on this & other sort of matters, until things become a bit clearer re the virus. I'd expect to hear mid June earliest.
  • You could use to buy your Valley Express season ticket at the same time as buying your actual season ticket, was there no option this time?
  • You could use to buy your Valley Express season ticket at the same time as buying your actual season ticket, was there no option this time?

Not that I noticed. 
  • Certainly might be more demand for Valley Express this season onwards.

Charlton is going to be in the ULEZ from the 25th October onwards

People with older cars (like myself) may find it cheaper to get a Valley Express season ticket, especially if it works out around £11 per game as to take a car inside the ULEZ will be £12.50
  • Certainly might be more demand for Valley Express this season onwards.

People with older cars (like myself) may find it cheaper to get a Valley Express season ticket, especially if it works out around £11 per game as to take a car inside the ULEZ will be £12.50
    That's interesting.
    We were toying with the idea of driving up from Dorset for games next season, instead of train or coach.
    I think my son's car is too new for ULEZ charge - will congestion charge also apply from October do you know?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    Certainly might be more demand for Valley Express this season onwards.

That's interesting.
    We were toying with the idea of driving up from Dorset for games next season, instead of train or coach.
    I think my son's car is too new for ULEZ charge - will congestion charge also apply from October do you know?
    Can check against the Registration Plate to see if you'll need to pay the ULEZ

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

My car is 2008 and a diesel so no real surprise it doesnt comply, whilst my wife's car is 2018 (provided its not about to be written off) so could probably borrow hers on a match day... I think most cars from around 2014-16 onwards are compliant so you should be fine.

I'm not aware of the congestion charge extending out to cover Charlton.
  • The club intends to offer the popular Valley Express coach service for the 2021/22 season but the running of the service will be dependent on government guidelines. Further information on the service for the 2021/22 season will be available closer to the start of the season when there is a better understanding of what government guidelines are likely to apply.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60cca1ad22363/season-ticket-seat-release-deadline-confirmed
  • That’s good news, hopefully it’ll continue from here. 
  • edited June 2021
    Certainly might be more demand for Valley Express this season onwards.

Depends on how many are in the car I guess. Tbh, I do t use VE so can’t speak for that but prefer public transport, tube and and trains because I like a beer or two before and after the match and it adds to the match day build up as you start to see other fans along the way. When I have driven it just seems like you’re in a bubble until you’ve finally parked the car and got out onto the pavement. I got the occasional Lewis coach a long long time ago and I think the last time I went to a game by coach was the man Utd cup match because it seemed like a good idea. Never again after that. 
  • Tickets for the club’s Valley Express coach service for the 2021/22 season will go on sale on Monday at 1pm.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60ec2c82dd388/202122-valley-express-season-passes-to-go-on-sale

• While I won't have a season ticket for the football or Valley Express my fear was the coaches would stop running, at least when I can I can travel up on the coach, so all is good. 
  • edited July 2021
    Unfortunately, the club is chasing a breakeven point in the financing of Valley Express which doesn't exist and never did. It has lost sight of why VEX existed in the first place, which was to provide easier access to The Valley for people in Kent and Sussex who would then buy match tickets, not just to transport regular supporters, whose role was to provide the core funding that enabled the coach to run regularly in the first place.

It was understood from the outset that the coaches would not break even, but the net revenue effect would be positive because the club would get extra match ticket revenue which more than offset the losses on the coaches. It also helped create new supporters which had a long-term revenue benefit.

Obviously this was a lot easier in the Premier League, more difficult in the Championship and harder still in League One. But we did it. However, the smaller you make the service - the more stops on each coach - the less attractive it becomes. If you then make it £32 for two people to travel on a one-off basis it's unlikely they will use it at all. The problem is that the club may well then get zero for the coach seats they would have filled.

Additionally, if you fill all the seats with season pass holders then you may be able to justify running the coach on that basis on some routes, but you will never expand the support whatever division we are in because there will be no capacity. A lot of the work we did was in cross-scheduling so that spare capacity could be used across different routes.

So, yes, I understand the relief that the coaches are running, but the fare policy will kill it over time.

• However, for me, it would now benefit me to go via Valley Express due to the ULEZ expanding to Charlton. So my £10 fuel cost would now be £10 fuel plus £12.50 for ULEZ, so £22.50, compared to £15 on the Valley Express.

Obviously, for a family travelling in one car it would still be cheaper for them than one individual person compared to paying for 4 Valley Express tickets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    However, for me, it would now benefit me to go via Valley Express due to the ULEZ expanding to Charlton. So my £10 fuel cost would now be £10 fuel plus £12.50 for ULEZ, so £22.50, compared to £15 on the Valley Express.

Obviously, for a family travelling in one car it would still be cheaper for them than one individual person compared to paying for 4 Valley Express tickets.
    I think the risk is that less committed people we need to fill seats look at the fare and decide not to attend at all because it's too expensive. I wouldn't dream of paying £32 for two of us to travel to The Valley from the coast on a coach.
  • Ross said:
    However, for me, it would now benefit me to go via Valley Express due to the ULEZ expanding to Charlton. So my £10 fuel cost would now be £10 fuel plus £12.50 for ULEZ, so £22.50, compared to £15 on the Valley Express.

I think the risk is that less committed people we need to fill seats look at the fare and decide not to attend at all because it's too expensive. I wouldn't dream of paying £32 for two of us to travel to The Valley from the coast on a coach.
    Buy a season pass then just over £9 a match instead of £16.
  • edited July 2021
    Ross said:

As above, the issue isn't people who are committed to attending every match. It never was. In fact, it makes no sense for the club to provide coaches if everyone who uses them would otherwise turn up under their own steam. The whole point of it is to attract additional fans, who are unlikely to start by committing to a whole season.
  • At £15  per person a game it's probably a lot cheaper than getting train from outside m25 and  driving now is just a headache.

Was driving a few seasons back and got sick of having to leave home and arrive  really early for each game to guarantee a parking space (which costs) and the annoyance of sitting in traffic from eltham to SE7 for 30 minutes.

Tuesday night games on the trains are a real ballache.

Valley Express is excellent and hopefully here to stay. 

Getting to Charlton by car is becoming less and less practical and the trains are even more costly so definitely a market for it.
  • Ross said:

In the past a fiver for the Valley Express was an absolute bargain. Nowadays £14-16 per person does seem expensive. However, comparing that to train tickets, or combined fuel and ULEZ costs, coupled with the reduction in free parking near to The Valley, it is still attractive, especially when it takes the hassle out of thinking about how you're getting somewhere.
  • edited July 2021
    The problem is that existing Charlton fans look at it from the point of view of them going anyway. Yes, it's cheaper than the train, but the additional people aren't using the train. They aren't coming at all. So the question is what they are likely to be willing to pay and whether the cost of pricing them in outweighs the benefit.

We brought in thousands of people by charging them very cheap fares, many of whom stuck, but they wouldn't have come in the first place at a market price.

All I'm saying is that this pricing policy won't address the justification that's being given for it - avoiding losses on fares against hire costs - and it won't encourage people to come either. So if losses are the issue for the club then it will either have to rethink or curtail the service further in future. It won't stop the losses with these prices.
  • Ross said:

As above, the issue isn't people who are committed to attending every match. It never was. In fact, it makes no sense for the club to provide coaches if everyone who uses them would otherwise turn up under their own steam. The whole point of it is to attract additional fans, who are unlikely to start by committing to a whole season.
    Because of the coach service my wife and kids will join me (an ST holder) onna good few occasions this season...each one will include 3 extra match tickets, club shop spend and kiosk spend probably.

Plus I can justify to them and myself getting an ST in the first place as coach means I can leave home later etc. 

I completely get what you are saying but there is hopefully a balance somewhere that means they will continue to run these coaches for the foreseeable as they provide an excellent service.

Out of interest what is the cost of hiring a coach?
  • edited July 2021
    Ross said:

Because of the coach service my wife and kids will join me (an ST holder) onna good few occasions this season...each one will include 3 extra match tickets, club shop spend and kiosk spend probably.

Plus I can justify to them and myself getting an ST in the first place as coach means I can leave home later etc. 

I completely get what you are saying but there is hopefully a balance somewhere that means they will continue to run these coaches for the foreseeable as they provide an excellent service.

Out of interest what is the cost of hiring a coach?
    We used to pay about £400 ten years ago, sometimes less, depending on the provider.

There is a balance but it requires the club to see beyond the simple equation between fares and hire charges, which is exactly the point you have just made re extra ticket sales (retail and refreshments are worth very little relatively speaking because of cost of sale).

I had this argument multiple times when I was working there with people who just couldn't understand that if there was no coach there was no ticket revenue either and the latter has virtually no marginal cost. The board understood it, fortunately.
  • Thanks Airman