Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old or existing songs that could win Eurovision?

If by magic all those great songs had yet to be written, which ones do you think could win the next Eurovision?

The thought came to me when Liverpool took to the field yesterday. Roy Hodgson in his final game seemed to be struggling to hold it together.

'You'll never walk alone' is one stirring song.  

Comments

• We used to do well with established stars - Lulu, Cliff, Sandy Shaw and so on, but I think everyone else in Eurovision saw it as an unfair advantage because of the overwhelming influence of British music. The list of old songs by British artists that would smash it is way too long to go into. 

I can't believe any established British act would want to go within a hundred miles of Eurovision now. 
  • Look out our last two winners, Love Shine a Light and Making Your Mind Up. Both are incredibly cheesy. We tend to enter songs that a probably move musically worthy than either of those, and we get nothing for it. So we need to abandon trying to enter anything musically good and embrace the cheese. We may not win, but we'd pick up a few votes at least for the novelty value.

Alternatively, as somebody pointed out on the Eurovision thread, the France sing did well as a typical native song strong national identity number. Maybe we should go regional and native with a Welsh or Scottish song, sung in the relevant native tongue and drawing from the musical history of the region. It's easy to give nothing to a bland price of manufactured Brit pop, maybe not so easy to give nothing to a string Welsh hymn?
  • bobmunro said:
    We used to do well with established stars - Lulu, Cliff, Sandy Shaw and so on, but I think everyone else in Eurovision saw it as an unfair advantage because of the overwhelming influence of British music. The list of old songs by British artists that would smash it is way too long to go into. 

I can't believe any established British act would want to go within a hundred miles of Eurovision now. 
    I don't think any established act would take it seriously.
  • edited May 2021
    I don't know about the established act stuff, I think they would be up for it if asked, could well imagine a world where Coldplay launched Higher Power at Eurovision, and I think it would have won by a couple of country miles. 

I do wonder if the BBC ever ask
  • Jacob Collier was somebody I was thinking of who could probably take Eurovision seriously enough, and in the "right" way that would fit Eurovision. The other person who perhaps obviously would do well would be Dua Lipa, basically tag along with the Balkan block voting. But the best time for her to do Eurovision was about 5 years ago, she's too much of a global superstar to do Eurovision now.
  • Never Forget by Take That would have been a perfect Eurovision Song
  • I see Bill Bailey has thrown his hat into the ring for next year. He can’t do any worse than James Newman 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Never Forget by Take That would have been a perfect Eurovision Song
    Angels by Robbie Williams would have had half a chance too!
  • It needs to be something that sounds ok on Capital or Radio 1 now, so Bill Bailey can forget it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shudupayouface Joe Dolce
  • White Cliffs of Dover
    Knees up Muvver Brown
    Any Old Iron
    My Old Man's a Dustman
  • Rule Britannia 
    There'll Always be an England
    Three Lions on the Shirt
    You missed Land of Hope and Glory ;-)
  • Plaistow Patricia
  • edited May 2021
    Oh Vienna......UltraVox.
  • Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  • edited May 2021
    https://youtu.be/va6nPu-1auE

Fat Les - Vindaloo

• AV SOME .. Love It ((:>)
  • edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Never Forget by Take That would have been a perfect Eurovision Song
    Angels by Robbie Williams would have had half a chance too!
    And if it didn’t win, we’d have seen how shit/bent the voting was.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tomorrow Belongs To Me.

Would get the German vote.
  • Addickted said:
    Tomorrow Belongs To Me.

Would get the German vote.
    SAHB version!
  • Plaistow Patricia
    Well it’s got my vote. Sung by someone well known. Pet Shop Boys with Neil Tennant’s excellent enunciation would do
  • How about cutting out the singing and go orchestrial with something like the Dambuster march? 
  • Goodbye Horse
  • Shudupayouface Joe Dolce
    Isn’t he an Aussie?
  • Don't look back in Anger - Oasis, full length version of Layla - Derek and the Dominoes, Get knocked down but I get up again - Chumbawumba, Justified and Ancient - KLF, 
    Just a few for starters!
  • edited May 2021
    _MrDick said:
    I see Bill Bailey has thrown his hat into the ring for next year. He can’t do any worse than James Newman 
    Whilst that statement is true, I'd expect him not to do any better. I'd try a duet between Basil Brush and Roland Rat next year.
  • Kick Out The Jams by the MC5.