Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CLFC vs PNE Supporters - match report and pictures

Two minutes before kick off it was not looking good....several last minute drop outs coupled with a few no-shows (no names no pack drill, you know who you are) meant that Charlton Life FC was struggling to get a team on the field for our third game, against the hugely experienced (and current ‘best supporters team in the internet football league’) Preston North End. However, with our centre forwards 14 year old brother drafted in to play at left back and myself donning the goalie gloves to free up our usual keeper, Colin Dray (Dave Storrey), to play in at right back, we were good to go.

I must admit, I was not hopeful – CLFC had lost its previous two games and struggling to get a team together to face the best team in the league with 2 minutes to kick off does not inspire confidence. Talking to Ketman, we both agreed that we would try to keep it below double figures....which was not necessarily going to be easy with me as the last line of defence...

However, we won the toss and, kicking down the considerable slope at the Meridian Sports pitch, we got stuck in from the start. As you would expect from a team that plays together each week, PNE were organised (hell, they even knew each other’s names) and efficient, playing some lovely football and always trying to play the game as it should be played, rather than following the CAFC method of lumping it to the big bloke up front.... CLFC countered with some great flowing football of our own, especially down the left hand side, with RedArmySE7, Woody, Plaaayer and Curbey working well as a midfield unit, looking to feed the ball through to the front pairing of Blackheath Addick and young Charlie (making his debut for us – hopefully he’ll be back!) hoping to catch PNE out on the break. As it was, we managed a few shots goal wards and gave the PNE defence (possibly the biggest blokes I have ever seen) something to think about, before we fell behind.. PNE had a great break down their right, which saw a wicked cross whipped in, over me, and straight on to the head of the advancing PNE player and in to the back if the net. It was a great move and worthy of a goal.... We picked ourselves up and started to play again, with a makeshift defence of 14 year old Harry, Gumbo, Ketman and Dave Storrey managing to keep PNE at bay and looking to move the ball forwards through the midfield at all times...(that’s how you do it Hudson, you don’t just lump it)... However, the PNE right winger, possibly the best player on the pitch, had another marauding run, managing to get away from Harry (one of the few times he did in the game I hasten to add) before swinging in another cross to be met by an attacker which found the back of the net despite some heroic (and possibly illegal) defending from Gumbo....

We went in at half time ‘only’ two nil down and I think it’s fair to say were very pleased with ourselves... Apart from the two goals, I had had very little to do in the goal and we had given PNE a match. Fortunately half time saw a couple of reinforcements arrive, which meant that DaveS could take his rightful place between the sticks and I could take my slightly less stressful place with the flag on the touchline ;-)

Second half and PNE have the advantage of the slope and look to use it. However, some great play on the right from (I think) Dazzler and Charlie, sees the ball played into Charlie in the box who smashes home and it’s game on. PNE pull a couple of fantastic saves out of DaveS (including one where he does a great impression of Stretch Armstrong, to widespread applause from all watching), before they score a third to restore the two goal lead.. CLFC go close, with a diving header from Gumbo (admittedly about 2 mins after the ball had gone out for a throw-in) being the funniest if not the closest.. Then, up pops up RedArmy to score a wonder goal... Picking up the ball in the centre of midfield he runs through the PNE defence and fires into the bottom corner of the net to score a goal that Spotty Parker himself would be proud of.

We sense that we could actually sneak another whilst PNE go in search of a goal to kill off the game and – despite there not being long to go – the pace seems to pick up... It’s end to end stuff, with Ketman, CAFCBourne, Oggy and Harry holding back the PNE front line, but there’s no further break through for either side and it ends with a win for PNE.

A truly good game and much better fare than the pile of rubbish we were offered up in the afternoon.

Thanks to all who turned up and played, special mention to Johan, our French import for the morning. I hope to organise a game vs West Ham at the end of the season and will post details here asap.

Special thanks to Riscardo for reffing the game in his usual no nonsense manner and to Steve and the PNE lads for getting down from the north west to SE7 for an 11am kick off....Roy Castle would be proud chaps.

For a PNE report and some pictures, visit this link – it’s up there on the official PNE website..

http://www.pnefc.net/page/NewsDetail/0,,10362~1600591,00.html

Cheers all
CC

Comments

• Great report CC..
  • Excellent work Matt!

Glad to see the spirit of the original CIFC lives on - nearly 10 years to the day from our first game!!

As a side note, I spent my Saturday morning with my team out here - Canmore United - we had a training/photo/reportage session for The Times - they are doing a feature soon on our midfielder Gavin Peacock.
  • great report Matt.

Preston played in great spirit, but were a disgrace to the ethos of IFA football. An overnighter in London, and only 3 of them went out on the sauce. What's that all about ????
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]
    Second half and PNE have the advantage of the slope and look to use it. However, some great play on the right from (I think) Dazzler and Charlie, sees the ball played into Charlie in the box who smashes home and it’s game on.

Not that I like to blow my own trumpet, as all who were there after the game will vouch for. I never mentioned my goal once! But it was myself and Charlie that combined down the right for the first goal! The eldest Swann brother took the ball beautifully on his chest played it wide then broke into the box, I beat the left back and special mention must go to Greg for shielding a defender out the way for my cut back for Charlie to drill home.

As an aside I spoke to both Harry and Charlie Sunday and they were both really pleased they played and had a great day so thanks to everyone for making them feel welcome.
  • Who the fcuk is the number 3 with his hands on his hips !!!!! Typical Charlton ;0)
  • that is one of the players 14yr old brother who got draft in at the last minute.

The three full backs we used had a combined age of over 110. And one of them is 14 !
  • You wait til we play west ham.

The two keepers combined age will be over a ton too !!

And I'm the yoof of the 2 !!
  • Sponsored links:

• I must be crap, short handed and I still never got a phone call ;(
  • Yeah we did have a vote in the changing room whether to give you a ring or play with 10 men T.C.E..
  • Absolutely gutted, Lol.
  • Good to see Tim from 'Spaced' had time to ref the game.
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]

0,,10362~5575537,00.jpg
  • edited March 2009
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that is one of the players 14yr old brother who got draft in at the last minute.

The three full backs we used had a combined age of over 110. And one of them is 14 !

lol ..... I'm not the youngster, right ....?
    (well, I am in my rose-tinted glasses)

;o)
  • Great report - it sounded ace!
  • [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Good to see Tim from 'Spaced' had time to ref the game.
    [/quote]
    Hmmm ... Simon Pegg I do not look like
  • I thought you were gonna lump that Preston player who lipped you, Riscardo.
    You did a good job though.

But where was your famous hat ....?

;o)
  • BDLBDL
    edited March 2009
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]Good to see Tim from 'Spaced' had time to ref the game.
    Hmmm ... Simon Pegg I do not look like

who is the charlton player in that picture? no clue who anyone is only the ref.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I thought you were gonna lump that Preston player who lipped you, Riscardo.

;o)

It was too cold for hats and flip flops ...

I was laying down the law .... I was sherrif, I had the badge
  • [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]I thought you were gonna lump that Preston player who lipped you, Riscardo.

;o)

It was too cold for hats and flip flops ...

I was laying down the law .... I was sherrif, I had the badge

Was it rusty?
  • Curb it,

Top picture is Harry (with hand on hips), 14 year old stand in defender
    Second picture is me watching the ball hit the back of the net (never a good look for a keeper)
    3rd pic is Harry running with the ball
    4th with Ric in background is Woody, CIFC stalwart and CL lurker
    5th, is Harry again (hmm, a theme develops), with RedArmySE7 in the background

I was sent a Youtube link last night with loads more pics etc, which I will put up here when I get a chance (can't access Youtube at work)

Cheers
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that is one of the players 14yr old brother who got draft in at the last minute.

I thought Riscardo was reffing?
  • [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that is one of the players 14yr old brother who got draft in at the last minute.

I was
  • ;o)
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]that is one of the players 14yr old brother who got draft in at the last minute.

But Riscardo's 27 now, not 14 .......

;o)
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUzLPM6gmg

cheers
  • Sorry pressed that a bit early.

Thanks from all of us at PNE for the game. Great advert for the fans league. The you tube thing is something we do after every game. Most of it is us messing about but there is a few pics you might not have seen. Love the marrage proposel at half time. I do the co-commentary on the games and had a great view of your magnificent ground. I was well out of it on the way home as you can see lol. One of our best away days of the season for us. Hope you get more games in next season. Count us in for a trip to yours as one of those games defo. Loved it.
  • ;o~) so long as we are in the same league you gott deal ;o)