Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alloy wheel repair

Hi all, 
Does anybody know of a decent place around DA16 to repair an (outer rim) alloy scuff? It doesn't need much work but has made a new car look slightly imperfect and in Lockdown life, the eyes have no escape from the front drive!

Annoyingly, this happened in Charlton over the weekend while visiting the Thames Barrier. What looked like a delivery driver in a van just sped down the middle of the road (Eastmoor Street) needing me to move over to the curb to avoid getting clipped.

The other option is to wait a year or so and get all cuts and scratches repaired in one, but still good to know the best local offerings. Thanks :-)

Comments

• I haven't checked recently but these guys https://www.lepsons.com/ have an excellent reputation for good quality work.
  • Slightly off topic, but related nonetheless...the alloys on my Merc seem to have gone what I can only describe as mouldy in the centre around the badge/spoke. It's admittedly been a bit unloved over lockdown and not ran as much as usual and definitely not been cleaned, but still seems a bit crap to happen. Anyone else any experience of this?

Alloys wearing plenty of scuffs too, so repair recommendation also appreciated!
  • Slightly off topic, but related nonetheless...the alloys on my Merc seem to have gone what I can only describe as mouldy in the centre around the badge/spoke. It's admittedly been a bit unloved over lockdown and not ran as much as usual and definitely not been cleaned, but still seems a bit crap to happen. Anyone else any experience of this?

It's almost certainly corrosion which is actually oxidisation. A chemical reaction between the aluminium alloy, air and water. It usually happens when the manufacturer's clear coat which protects the wheel is compromised in some way. Usually through kerbing. But you often see it around the insert like yours. This article attempts to explain why https://www.smartautorepairs.co.uk/diamond-cut-alloys-corrosion-issues-and-warranty/

Sounds like you could do with a refurb or new wheels.

I've got some minor kerbing damage on one wheel from a very tight multi-story car park in Berlin. I just slapped some clear coat on the damage and hope that prevents corrosion getting in.
  • mendonca said:
    Hi all, 
    Does anybody know of a decent place around DA16 to repair an (outer rim) alloy scuff? It doesn't need much work but has made a new car look slightly imperfect and in Lockdown life, the eyes have no escape from the front drive!

Annoyingly, this happened in Charlton over the weekend while visiting the Thames Barrier. What looked like a delivery driver in a van just sped down the middle of the road (Eastmoor Street) needing me to move over to the curb to avoid getting clipped.

The other option is to wait a year or so and get all cuts and scratches repaired in one, but still good to know the best local offerings. Thanks :-)
    Diamond Cut Alloy Wheel Centre in Erith might be able to help, 0208 311 9963
  • My father in law is a mechanic and does alloy wheel repairs 
    He is based in welling. Let me know if you want the number 
  • Kerbed mine the day after picking up my new car , tried a couple of places in Erith and dartford , both wanted around £175 , made the decision that it can wait , it will probably happen again at some point .   
  • If you have damaged a diamond cut alloy, it can only be repaired once or twice, depending on the amount of material they take off.
  • cafcfan said:
    Slightly off topic, but related nonetheless...the alloys on my Merc seem to have gone what I can only describe as mouldy in the centre around the badge/spoke. It's admittedly been a bit unloved over lockdown and not ran as much as usual and definitely not been cleaned, but still seems a bit crap to happen. Anyone else any experience of this?

It's almost certainly corrosion which is actually oxidisation. A chemical reaction between the aluminium alloy, air and water. It usually happens when the manufacturer's clear coat which protects the wheel is compromised in some way. Usually through kerbing. But you often see it around the insert like yours. This article attempts to explain why https://www.smartautorepairs.co.uk/diamond-cut-alloys-corrosion-issues-and-warranty/

I've got some minor kerbing damage on one wheel from a very tight multi-story car park in Berlin. I just slapped some clear coat on the damage and hope that prevents corrosion getting in.
    One good thing about aluminium corrosion is it isn't brittle and porous like iron corrosion (i.e. rust) so it stops any further damage happening underneath whereas rust just goes all the way through eventually.
  • cafcbrown said:
    My father in law is a mechanic and does alloy wheel repairs 
    He is based in welling. Let me know if you want the number 
    Thanks mate -  Handy Father in law to have! Hopefully he doesn't get too involved in your car purchases mind ;-)

Sounds good. Do you know if he has any online presence for browsing?
  • mendonca said:
     What looked like a delivery driver in a van just sped down the middle of the road (Eastmoor Street) needing me to move over to the curb to avoid getting clipped.
    I find when dealing with drivers like that, rather than move over, simply shut off the option of passing and refuse to move over until he has slowed/stopped, then if you choose to be the one to move over, you can do it at your pace, not his
  • Sponsored links:

• Had an insurance on my new car to cover wheel damage. Wheels and low profile tyres are a nightmare, no protection at all even look at a kerb and they are crunched. The guy who has done mine said a few years ago grinding an allow could take an hour per wheel, as they were so robust, some modern allows he does in 15 minutes. Anyway good fellow and would recommend his work, also does paint work damage. Worth asking for quote.

Flying Colours..... Phil Brown 07973 316519 Bexley/ Crayford based. 
  • cafcfan said:
    Slightly off topic, but related nonetheless...the alloys on my Merc seem to have gone what I can only describe as mouldy in the centre around the badge/spoke. It's admittedly been a bit unloved over lockdown and not ran as much as usual and definitely not been cleaned, but still seems a bit crap to happen. Anyone else any experience of this?

The chemicals in a lot of wheel cleaners are acidic and strip the lacquer finish, coupled with hot ferrite and dust particles coming from brake discs, alloys don’t stand much of a chance of a long life. 
    I use Bilt Hamber on my alloys, smells awful but cleans well.