Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winning the league (again) 2021/22 ?

10 years after we won the league one title in 2012.

Can it be done again?

Chin up, stay positive. 

Summer window coming up. Adkins will have the funds. He has the record of success at this level.

If we get into the championship under Adkins, we are staying there.

F*ck this season. Just learn from it and build ourselves up again.

Comments

• I thought at the start of the season that we would get auto promotion. From where we are a t m this seems (to put it mildly) unrealistic and unlikely.
    However, I am very confident of us getting a play off spot. We are in good form, Ipswich, Lincoln and Doncaster are not. I make Peterborough and Sunderland favourites for the auto spots and us to beat Hull in the play offs. The promised land of  Wembley beckons once more my brothers and sisters !!
  • Dave2l said:
    10 years after we won the league one title in 2012.

Can it be done again?

Chin up, stay positive. 

Summer window coming up. Adkins will have the funds. He has the record of success at this level.

If we get into the championship under Adkins, we are staying there.

F*ck this season. Just learn from it and build ourselves up again.
    I think if we can win the championship in the 21/22 season we will have achieved greatness. 
  • The problem next season is that there are likely to be a few decent-sized clubs competing for the automatic promotion places. It's too early to say, of course, but the likes of Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday might be involved as well as Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich. If all those are in League One, it could be quite a tussle.
  • The problem next season is that there are likely to be a few decent-sized clubs competing for the automatic promotion places. It's too early to say, of course, but the likes of Birmingham City and Sheffield Wednesday might be involved as well as Sunderland, Portsmouth and Ipswich. If all those are in League One, it could be quite a tussle.
    Agreed, but you still have to fancy us to be in with a great shout come the day of reckoning even with those decent sized clubs, with Thomas and Nige at the helm, we have the potential for a extremely good chance of auto's, that is if we don't do that this year via the playoffs which isn't a total no no.
    but have we ever had a season in L1 where we were the only "big" club? Everytime there was a Sheff Weds, a Leeds or a Sunderland knocking about weve been able to keep up with them. 
  • Just had to check the date to make sure I hadn't been asleep for a few days & it was now April 1st.

Nope. Unless Sangaard spends big in the summer we'll be lucky to be fighting for a play off spot come May 2022. Too many players need to leave & too many need to sign - like around 14/16. 

To be the best, you've gotta beat the best.

I think we would benefit from it. The players will be more in the mix of a motivational competitive nature.

Will be some good clashes.
  • Just had to check the date to make sure I hadn't been asleep for a few days & it was now April 1st.

Nope. Unless Sangaard spends big in the summer we'll be lucky to be fighting for a play off spot come May 2022. Too many players need to leave & too many need to sign - like around 14/16. 
    Most of this team are out of contract or loan players anyway, so we will get a load out. 
  • Gonna be hard to win league one again if we are in the championship mate. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought at the start of the season that we would get auto promotion. From where we are a t m this seems (to put it mildly) unrealistic and unlikely.
    However, I am very confident of us getting a play off spot. We are in good form, Ipswich, Lincoln and Doncaster are not. I make Peterborough and Sunderland favourites for the auto spots and us to beat Hull in the play offs. The promised land of  Wembley beckons once more my brothers and sisters !!
    We are not in good form. 

We’re currently fighting for a playoff spot this season.

A lot to ask to rebuild the squad and repeat 11/12 but that’ll be the aim and there’s no reason to think we won’t improve on this squad and be up there. It’s League 1, you don’t need an amazing squad costing millions to make the playoffs.
  • edited March 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Just had to check the date to make sure I hadn't been asleep for a few days & it was now April 1st.

Most of this team are out of contract or loan players anyway, so we will get a load out. 
    Which was my point. We are having to churn a great deal of players in the summer & its hard to do that as well as mounting a serious promotion campaign. SCP did a great job in 2012 but in reality how many players did we actually bring in that summer that played a key part  - less than 10 would be my guess. And we didnt rely on loans, which naturally leave at the end of the season & very very few return or stay. 
  • Not with the current squad.  Really hope we don’t have to get  5 loans in next season. One or 2 is fine. Let’s hope Adkins can piece together a squad similar to the one Powell did - players too good for League 1 and good enough for the Championship. We desperately need a spine in the team. Solid GK, commanding Centre Back, Midfield general and a goalscorer that is capable of playing 90 mins. 

• J BLOCK said:
    Just had to check the date to make sure I hadn't been asleep for a few days & it was now April 1st.

Which was my point. We are having to churn a great deal of players in the summer & its hard to do that as well as mounting a serious promotion campaign. SCP did a great job in 2012 but in reality how many players did we actually bring in that summer that played a key part  - less than 10 would be my guess. And we didnt rely on loans, which naturally leave at the end of the season & very very few return or stay. 
    Eleven who made 10+ starts.

Hamer
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Cort (loan to begin with)
    Wiggins
    Green
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Pritchard
    Kermorgant
    Hayes

Back then we could sign short term loans and we made several throughout the season - Ephraim, Cook, Russell and N’Guessan.

Without the salary cap in place and an ambitious owner here for the long term this should be a summer where we build a squad for the next few seasons. I don’t think we’ll be going in to it planning who sign 5 loan players towards the end of the window as we have done in the last few years.

I’d also expect the likes of Gunter to do a decent job as a squad player in a stronger side. We don’t need to replace 20 players to get promoted - our problem is we have too few stand out players for this level.
    We are not in good form. 
    unbeaten in 5 ? .. only 3 other teams in the top, 9 can match that .. might not be pretty football a t m but we are still well there .. AND with a new manager with fresh ideas and impetus .. look at the table !! .. tell me what's your idea of good form ?

League One Table - Football - BBC Sport
  • Scoham said:
    J BLOCK said:

Eleven who made 10+ starts.

Hamer
    Morrison
    Taylor
    Cort (loan to begin with)
    Wiggins
    Green
    Stephens
    Hollands
    Pritchard
    Kermorgant
    Hayes

Back then we could sign short term loans and we made several throughout the season - Ephraim, Cook, Russell and N’Guessan.

Without the salary cap in place and an ambitious owner here for the long term this should be a summer where we build a squad for the next few seasons. I don’t think we’ll be going in to it planning who sign 5 loan players towards the end of the window as we have done in the last few years.

I’d also expect the likes of Gunter to do a decent job as a squad player in a stronger side. We don’t need to replace 20 players to get promoted - our problem is we have too few stand out players for this level.
    Completely agree with your last sentence. We probably have enough capable players to compare with Morrison, Taylor, Green etc but not the quality to match BWP, Kermorgant & Stephens.

I also hope that we dont again rely on the 5 / 6 loans. A Cullen or a Beliek then great.....a Smith or a Kaikai then no thanks. 
    We are not in good form. 
    unbeaten in 5 ? .. only 3 other teams in the top, 9 can match that .. might not be pretty football a t m but we are still well there .. AND with a new manager with fresh ideas and impetus .. look at the table !! .. tell me what's your idea of good form ?

League One Table - Football - BBC Sport
    Being in good form is when you are playing well and have players who are "in-form". 

- We are actually unbeaten in 6, not 5. But we have played badly for the overwhelming majority most of those 6 games, 5 of which were against bottom of the league relegation tripe.

- We don't have a single in-form player (Washington maybe at a push just cos he grabbed a couple of goals).

Wigan - 20 minutes decent at the beginning, rest average to poor
    oxford - awful throughout
    northampton - average at best throughout
    shrewsbury home - terrible throughout
    bristol home - terrible for first half hour, huffed and puffed our way to a narrow second half win against team with awful away record
    wimbledon - decent first 20, awful rest of the game

Scrambling points against league two sides is not being in form and I would say we're still very much out of form - we're just less bad than we were in February.

Form is a lot more than a cursory glance at the "form tables" in the racing post on a Saturday morning, which if anything are just a ruse to mislead people for bookmakers and betting companies, who actually have half an idea about who is genuinely "in form" or not, to make money off uninformed punters (like me!) chucking money on accumulators thinking they're savvy!

All the above said, I'm feeling foolishly optimistic that a rest and the new manager change might actually see us find a bit of genuine "good form". Let's hope so... 
  • see what I mean?
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m amazed that we’re 8th and still in with a shout of the playoffs (even though that is extremely unlikely) when you consider just how bad we have been all season. 

In every game we’ve been slower to start than the opposition. We’ve made average sides look good and out home form has been woeful. 

We’ve had players coming and going on a conveyor belt (Bogle, Maddison, Smyth, Levitt, Smith). We’ve had our usual injury troubles, plus a change of manager and no fans.

A few decent additions, some consistency in personnel and formations and a bit of luck we’ll see us up there next year.