Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Vaccine

Comments

• Mrs Plum says getting a reaction from the vaccination is actually a good thing, it means the medicine is having an effect.
    I think no reaction at all would disconcert her.
    I think she has a point.
  • seth plum said:
    Mrs Plum says getting a reaction from the vaccination is actually a good thing, it means the medicine is having an effect.
    I think she has a point.
    From what I have been told, she is right. 
  • Month today since I had mine (AZ). No real reaction other than feeling a bit tired the next day and the arm a fraction tender for a couple of days. Wife similar. We both had Covid a couple of months before vaccine so was expecting a stronger impact.

I do wonder if some element of the post-vaccine tiredness could be the body release from people getting anxious ahead of receiving it. I know normally if my body gets tense or anxious ahead of something I regularly get 24hr fatigue following the event I was nervous about.

• seth plum said:
    Mrs Plum says getting a reaction from the vaccination is actually a good thing, it means the medicine is having an effect.
    I think she has a point.
    That question was discussed on BBC breakfast this morning and it was stated by the 2 experts, that not having a reaction doesn't mean that you are any less protected than someone who does have a reaction. I hope so anyway, as I had very little reaction to my jab.
  • edited March 2021
    seth plum said:
    I think she has a point.
    That question was discussed on BBC breakfast this morning and it was stated by the 2 experts, that not having a reaction doesn't mean that you are any less protected than someone who does have a reaction. I hope so anyway, as I had very little reaction to my jab.

No or little reaction may well indicate that if you actually had the virus it would be asymptomatic or very mild - and a worse reaction may indicate the possibility of the opposite if you had the virus proper.
    That's a guess by the way!
  • @Jessie, it is true the covid vaccines have been developed faster than is usual, but this is because there have been none of the normal hold-ups such as finding the money to fund the development, finding enough volunteers to test it, nor (sadly) there being enough of the infection about to test it against.  

In the West, the trials volunteers were mainly younger people, so there was a shortage of data for old codgers like me, who were at greatest risk from covid.  That caused initial concerns, especially in mainland Europe, but the number of over 70s now vaccinated in UK alone is far more than there would ever be in a clinical trial, and there have been no problems.  The post-vaccine reactions a number of us have had do not last long and in the greater scheme of things are a minor inconvenience.

The effect of the vaccine takes a few weeks to kick in.  There were initially a few older people who caught covid shortly after vaccination and sadly died.  However, once the immunity has built up, the UK experience is that any infection is mild, and not requiring hospital treatment.  No vaccine is 100% effective, and virus mutations may reduce its efficacy, but a working vaccine is certainly better than no vaccine.

I know the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines have also been trialled in the West (Turkey, UAE, & Brazil), and the World Health Organisation is hoping to have results this month.  This link to a BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55907903 which gives a short video about these vaccines, published early February.  Might be worth waiting for the WHO report, to get an independent view on how good their efficiencies are?  I don't know whether you would be then able to choose which you have, if one is shown to be more efficient than the other?  Here in the UK, we have what we are given - "Beggars can't be choosers"! - but at least there is evidence that they all have good efficiencies.
  • It's 9 days since I had the AZ jab. I felt a bit chilly and unwell for 48 hours (starting after 12 hrs).
    Since then I've been fine, although I have felt sleepy in the afternoons and I keep nodding off.
    It may not be due to the jab, but zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Sponsored links:

• N01R4M said:
    @Jessie, it is true the covid vaccines have been developed faster than is usual, but this is because there have been none of the normal hold-ups such as finding the money to fund the development, finding enough volunteers to test it, nor (sadly) there being enough of the infection about to test it against.  

In the West, the trials volunteers were mainly younger people, so there was a shortage of data for old codgers like me, who were at greatest risk from covid.  That caused initial concerns, especially in mainland Europe, but the number of over 70s now vaccinated in UK alone is far more than there would ever be in a clinical trial, and there have been no problems.  The post-vaccine reactions a number of us have had do not last long and in the greater scheme of things are a minor inconvenience.

The effect of the vaccine takes a few weeks to kick in.  There were initially a few older people who caught covid shortly after vaccination and sadly died.  However, once the immunity has built up, the UK experience is that any infection is mild, and not requiring hospital treatment.  No vaccine is 100% effective, and virus mutations may reduce its efficacy, but a working vaccine is certainly better than no vaccine.

I know the Sinovac and Sinopharm vaccines have also been trialled in the West (Turkey, UAE, & Brazil), and the World Health Organisation is hoping to have results this month.  This link to a BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-55907903 which gives a short video about these vaccines, published early February.  Might be worth waiting for the WHO report, to get an independent view on how good their efficiencies are?  I don't know whether you would be then able to choose which you have, if one is shown to be more efficient than the other?  Here in the UK, we have what we are given - "Beggars can't be choosers"! - but at least there is evidence that they all have good efficiencies.
    Many thanks to @N01R4M and @Spitfire76 for the useful information. 
  • seth plum said:
    I think she has a point.
    God bless Boris Johnson
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Had first vaccine 15 Feb, AZ. Never had second appointment. Was listening to football whilst working last night, bored, so went online to see if could book second vaccine. Did so, 8 May at 1pm so do that then home to see us secure 6th place. 

Don't know if I should have waited or what. That's an 11 week gap so hopefully ok. Also, I was given the choice of lots of vaccine centres but none was where I originally went. Second jab is much closer to home, and the first one was only a couple of miles.

Booked our second jabs yesterday online - 1 May. 11 weeks and a day.

Likewise, the centre where we had the first jab (4 miles from home) was not listed so had to opt for a pharmacy 13 miles away - not an issue though.
    I had my first jab after a text from the GP at a local centre. They gave me a date for the next one but I need to change it. Can I do this online? 
    Likewise (well my wife did and I just tagged along!). But they never gave us the date for the second jab.

Select 'Manage my appointments'. I entered my personal details and it automatically picked up I had had the first jab and offered the second jab venues. It did say 'You failed to attend your second appointment so you will need to book again' but ignore that (I hadn't) so it must be a default message.

ah perfect - thank you!
  • I felt slightly fluey the night after my AZ jab (as I expected)

What was stranger is that I felt really cold and shivery during the night a week after the jab. It might be unrelated, and I had assumed I had a cold or something else, but maybe it was connected to the vaccine? It literally was that night only, and most unusual for me as I don't feel the cold.
  • Jessie said:
    Jessie said:
    Thanks @ME14addick @AddicksAddict

I just read through a thread on a Chinese forum and one person mentioned that if you've just had a tooth extraction and are on medication then you can't have the vaccine. It suddenly occured to me that I have two wisdom teeth that have been causing me slight pain for a few months because of possbile infections. Recently whenever I don't get enough sleep I feel uncomfortable with those two teeth and my head hurts so I have finally mustered up the courage and decided to go to the dentist next month to have the two teeth extracted. Obviously they can't be pulled at once and it will probably take two months at least. I've been dreading the tooth extraction for two years actually....

I fear there could be a risk of exacerbating the tooth infections if I take the vaccine before I solve my tooth problem ? :'(
    Both of the Chinese manufactured vaccines are the very traditional, tried and tested inactivated vaccines where a small amount of viral particles are injected in the body enough to elicit an immune response but not enough to cause a problem. There is nothing wrong with Chinese pharmaceutical technology and although data is not as available as with other available vaccines I would feel completely confident in them. Side effects when experienced are the likely aches, pains and mild flu like symptoms. 

Not sure why after a tooth extraction you might be expecting to be “on” medication. That’s not usual although prior to an extraction antibiotics might be prescribed for two weeks if there is the possibility of infection in the tooth or gum. 
    Thank you. You are much more confident in our vaccines than many of our people seem to be.

As for the medication... I had to look up the English words for the medicines... They're ornidazole, metronidazole and that type of medicines, -nidazole. Some people even have to get IV treatments for one or two days after a tooth extraction. Antibiotics IV treatments are quite common here. It's probably not the case in the Western countries. One of my infected wisdom teeth is a horizontally impacted tooth which is more difficult to remove. It will be like a small operation and I probably will need an IV afterwards too...
    @jessie After an hour in the dentist's chair having one of my wisdom teeth removed, which had to be cut into four pieces to get it out, the nurse asked the dentist if I'd have been better off in hospital.  The dentist replied "Maybe, but I like doing wisdom teeth".  I was on antibiotics for a week after so it would not be surprising if you were, too, seeing as it sounds like you'll have a similar experience to mine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had mine yesterday and feel absolutely shattered today.

And a dead arm I’ve not felt since school 😂
    Sounds like you had a blunt needle.🤕 💉
  • I have my second jab, tomorrow afternoon at Charlton House
    Oooooh......how posh!
  • So, the moderna vaccine that’s due to roll out soon to the majority of under 50s, says 2nd dose due within 28 days of the 1st dose. Surely this mean some of those will be double dosed ahead of the elder and vulnerable Pfizer and AZ jabs? 
  • UK government has only ordered 17m doses of the Moderna vaccine so that will only be enough for 8.5m people less a percentage for wastage. 
  • I have my second jab, tomorrow afternoon at Charlton House
    Oooooh......how posh!

Only the best in Charlton, my butler  drove me there in the Rolls.
  • Oh I just read that moderna order was next. When’s valneva ready? 
  • Oh I just read that moderna order was next. When’s valneva ready? 
    Moderna is next.
    Table comparing the Oxford Pfizer Moderna Novavax and Janssen vaccines
  • Jessie said:
    I haven't read all posts on this thread. Just wanted to ask a genuine question and thanks in advance for replying:

Are there any cases of people getting affected even after having the vaccine? Has anyone of you heard of such cases?

I'm considering getting the vaccine here in my country but so far no-one around me has done it. My mum has been persuading me to book my appointment but I'm a little concerned about side effects which is also one of the main reasons why none of my colleagues have taken the vaccine.
     Anyone know?