Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Realistically, given the horrific mess we were in, if you had asked me at the start of the season AND when Sandgaard took over, how long does Bowyer have to get us promoted?

I would have said 2 seasons.

I think Sandgaard was also of that opinion. I fully accept that the dip in form has been alarming, but if TS is willing to stand by Bowyer then that is good enough for me for now.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I must be honest and say I was more passionate about Bowyer going when I thought we had a season to save. Simply because I believed, and still do, that his approach was losing it/lost it for us. There is less point now because the damage has been done, although when you look at our squad, 10 wins in 16 shouldn't look impossible.

There is absolutely no evidence, watching us play, that such a run is going to happen. And having seen a few starting formations/selections that didn't make us groan, that seems to have returned too.
  • Options

Some people need to get their head out off the sand, no pun intended. Sandgaard needs to sack him and is creating problems by sticking with him.
    I think a lot of people would have said the same about Gritt and Curbs back in the day.
    There are a lot of parrallels with that era, IMO. The mess off the pitch moving into the stability of returning to The Valley.
    Like then, I think some patience is needed at the moment. I know it’s a tough one but I think Bowyer will deliver if given more time. 
  • Options
    I just think they have missed a trick, especially if they plan to replace him in the summer. If that is the case getting rid of him now may have given us that new manager bounce and who knows what may have happened, look at Cardiff for instance.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I couldn't disagree with that statement more Valley11. You don't have to be top of the league to see a direction of travel. 
  • Options
    May as well close this thread until the end of the season now
  • Options
    As AFKA very sensibly summarised, it looks like Sandgaard has made up his mind to carry on as things are for now.

He may be right, he may be wrong. He might be planning to make a change at a later date, he may want to give Bowyer a full crack at a season where he starts on a level basis. We don't know. But it does look like nothing is imminent.

On that basis, for me he's earned the right to make those calls based on his actions so far. I don't necessarily agree but he's put considerable time, effort and money into becoming the owner so I am not going to be expecting Bowyer to go this season

That said, I will also not be spending any more money to follow games, not out of spite of fickleness but because currently I get no satisfaction and a lot of aggravation out of it and quite frankly I don't see the point of spending money knowing it will just leave me angry.
  • Options

Some people need to get their head out off the sand, no pun intended. Sandgaard needs to sack him and is creating problems by sticking with him.
    Creating problems by sticking with him? What problems are they then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Assume you don’t see getting doubled by 24th of the third tier a problem then?
  • Options

That problem already exists. I’m asking what problems Sandgaard is creating by not sacking Bowyer.
  • Options
    I don't know why people are assuming he's now here to the summer just because that's what is being suggested now? Chelsea were planning with sticking with Lampard throughout his bad form, then suddenly it got a bit too bad and clearly some off the field stuff happened and the pressure was suddenly too big. 

Unfortunately it's not the most positive thought, but there isn't a reason to think it can't get worse than it is now... TS may well be aiming to give Lee time and re assess in the summer or next year, but just because that is the case it doesn't mean that will happen, we might not be far off a breaking point at this rate
  • Options
    edited February 2021

That problem already exists. I’m asking what problems Sandgaard is creating by not sacking Bowyer.
    Well more of those problems will occur is the point I guess.  
  • Options
    At the end of the day it is TS that has these decisions to make and if he has decided to stick with the current team then that will hopefully give LB the shot in the arm he needs. If you look at the last 18 months with what he has had to deal with then you have to say he did pretty well all things considered. However with a weight of expectation comes a different kind of pressure which I think he has struggled to get his head around. He has gone from having barely enough players to raise a full team and the world thinking we were close to the end of existence to a new owner full of optimism, a squad of players to pick from, different options on the pitch, and the expectation that we should win games and get promoted. That is quite a turnaround in mental approach to deal with. Hopefully by giving his support to LB there may be a relaxation in the camp and things might just improve. Anyone can see what happens to the whole team once someone scores against us the confidence just drains away
  • Options

As Sandgaard once said he has a skill for overcoming obstacles. He'll be working on it, he is not creating or ignoring issues is my bet. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Didn't realise I was responding to what Croydon had quoted... He makes a great point. 
  • Options
    I don’t feel Bowyer should go just because we are losing it’s because of the manner in which we’re losing.  Obvious to all so not listing them all.  
    Going into next season can we really build our team around the likes of Inniss & Chucks? As good as they are, their injury record is so poor this could hold us back! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dannoo_86 said:
    Whatever happened to supporting your team through thick and thin? Some of the posts on here are quite simply embarrassing.

As for the disrespect being shown to Bowyer when things ain’t going our way just remember when our club was desperately on its knees Bowyer stood by us and kept our club alive. He has earn’t through his loyalty to us a summer with no distractions, no shit owners, no transfer embargo and no wage cap.
    Bowyer did not keep the club alive, The fans, Sandgaard, Kreamer, Mihail, even Nimer did. 

Bowyer just did his job while all the drama went on. 
    And played a straight bat with the ‘strange’ stuff from our (dodgy) new owners at the time 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Sandgaard decides to stick with LB i will not argue with that, because i have no idea what his plan or strategy may be.  I think too much damage has happened to rescue the season now so rather than throw good money after bad might as well stay with the manager we have until something better comes along.

But no, I won't be sacrificing my valuable leisure time on a Saturday or money sitting in front of the TV watching that.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It’s difficult. I’ve been completely in the Bowyer should be given until the end of the season camp but expecting anything more than that to depend on uptick in form to show there’s something worth sticking with. That view has in the last week wavered to say the least. My position today with Bowyer seemingly having Sandgaards support is to get behind that decision. No idea what Mr. Sandgaard is prepared to accept but I would want to see this season finish with a significant turn around in form. More of the fare we’ve endured for months wouldn’t fill me with confidence that Lee is the person to take us forward next season but ultimately it’s only TS that LB needs to convince. 
  • Options
    Seems like Sandgaard has written the season off then. 

3 months of football that is ultimately pointless costing the fans £160 for the privilege. 
  • Options
    It is not even easy interviewing in (Full) Lockdown, so I don't think it's as clear-cut as to whether we stick with Bowyer for now + next season, or get rid in order to hire now for both this + next season. 

We just have to all crack on with it.

Building slowly sometimes means just that, building slowly. I had hoped we would have shown too much quality for the need to build slowly, but it looks like neither the manager or a select few key players are able to carry us single handly to the next level. So, we are going to have to do it the slow(errr) way. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    It is not even easy interviewing in (Full) Lockdown, so I don't think it's as clear-cut as to whether we stick with Bowyer for now + next season, or get rid in order to hire now for both this + next season. 

We just have to all crack on with it.

Building slowly sometimes means just that, building slowly. I had hoped we would have shown too much quality for the need to build slowly, but it looks like neither the manager or a select few key players are able to carry us single handly to the next level. So, we are going to have to do it the slow(errr) way. 
    how does building slowly fit into TS getting into the PL in five years time? 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Croydon said:
    Dannoo_86 said:
    Whatever happened to supporting your team through thick and thin? Some of the posts on here are quite simply embarrassing.

As for the disrespect being shown to Bowyer when things ain’t going our way just remember when our club was desperately on its knees Bowyer stood by us and kept our club alive. He has earn’t through his loyalty to us a summer with no distractions, no shit owners, no transfer embargo and no wage cap.
    See this argument a lot, and I don't really understand it. What exactly did Bowyer do, to keep our club alive? It was fans groups that uncovered ES1 2, it was Lauren and Mihail who prevailed in court, and it was Sandgaard who bought us - and ultimately saved us.

Bowyer has been manager through a very difficult period, no doubt. But can he be credited with keeping the club alive? If he'd gone, we would have had a replacement (probably a shit one) and still likely have been relegated. 
    Well I think you can say he publicly fronted out all of the drama and and interest in the media in an area he wouldn't have been comfortable in - that's pressure and stressful! If you've ever worked in a struggling business youd understand the effects it can have on people!

He kept the players going and motivated when they were probably very low with all the threats of admin and not getting paid

He kept progressing the recruitment with Conor and Gilbey and found a way to sign them when we were under embargo and looked likely to start the season with many kids playing. Managed a ridiculous budget

Got through the pre-season with no budget or players - they had 2 days at the Belfry, hardly ideal

I think it's very harsh to say Bows did nothing in this incredibly difficult time, do you remember how stressed we all were - imagine what it was like on the inside of the mess - and we wonder why he's jaded / tired?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!