Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Bull Tavern, Woolwich

I hear The Bull and the Tramshed are to remain when they build the new Woolwich Leisure Centre by General Gordon Square. 

I've got to admit I've never been to the Bull, but it was on my list when I was planning a crawl of Old Woolwich pubs - back when we could do that sort of thing. Anyone got any stories/history about the place?

Apparently, all the bids to build the thing included demolishing the pub, but the one that succeeded was the only one that planned to keep it.

https://www.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/info/200200/regeneration/2123/woolwich_leisure_centre

Comments

• Drank in there a couple of times a few years ago when I moved into the nearby area.

My favourite ‘old school’ pub in Woolwich is still the Anglesea Arms. Was absolutely unreal in there for the England World Cup games in 2018
  • Sounds a relatively sane redevelopment.  Glad the Tramshed is getting an upgrade.
  • Like going there to watch GAA matches. Good Guinness, good craic.
  • Probably been going in there since the early 90s, for Ireland games, rugby & football as well as GAA games. Had many a good time in there, preferred it when it was two bars. Meeting place for myself & @TelMc32 when going The Valley, can jump on a train and be there in 10 minutes.
  • only been once an irish mates 21st
  • Been in once for the last hour after watching the ‘Stern John in the last minute’ match in The Pullman.
    Was a very happy hour but to be honest, if I’d been hit by a bus into a pile of dog shit in General Gordon Square I’d have still been smiling.
  • Played once in their golf society and managed to win a prize. A good irish pub. 
  • Is the little bull still going?
  • One of my ex girlfriend's mates dad was the guvnor there in the nineties. Went in there a couple of times, but was an old man's boozer and I wasn't an old man. Shame - be right up my alley now :smiley:
  • One of my ex girlfriend's mates dad was the guvnor there in the nineties. Went in there a couple of times, but was an old man's boozer and I wasn't an old man. Shame - be right up my alley now :smiley:
    Was that Mick?
  • Sponsored links:

Was that Mick?
    Dunno his first name - her surname was Gaughan? 
  • Solidgone said:
    Is the little bull still going?

No that has been closed for many years, is flats there now, I used to go in there quite often about 40+ years ago, when Terry was the landlord
    Was that Mick?
    Mick Gaughan. Justine and Sasha were his daughters. My sister has always been great friends with Justine.
  • Solidgone said:
    North Kent Tavern round on Spray Street?  Closed down in 2006.
  • Solidgone said:
    Played once in their golf society and managed to win a prize. A good irish pub. 
    @guinnessaddick and I know a lot of the lads who play.  I'm sure they're all desperate for the days that they can get back out again and then back to the bar afterwards :smile:
  • Probably been going in there since the early 90s, for Ireland games, rugby & football as well as GAA games. Had many a good time in there, preferred it when it was two bars. Meeting place for myself & @TelMc32 when going The Valley, can jump on a train and be there in 10 minutes.
    Definitely better in the old days with the two bars.  I remember watching the Ireland games in the Lord Raglan when Mick had that and he moved down to The Bull a little while afterwards and we all did too.  Have had many happy hours there, including after closing times, over the years :smiley:   
  • TelMc32 said:
    Solidgone said:
    I thought the Princess of Wales on Wilmount street, the other side of the Wilko carpark was the little bull. There are flats there now.
  • TelMc32 said:
    Solidgone said:
    I thought the Princess of Wales on Wilmount street, the other side of the Wilko carpark was the little bull. There are flats there now.

The Princess Of Wales was situated at 18 Wilmount Street.
     John Bull (b. 1833), formerly an Inspector with the Metropolitan Police at Scotland Yard, is listed as the publican on the 1891 Census. No doubt, this is why the hotel was also known as "The Little Bull".
    https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/london/se18_woolwich_princessofwales.html

• TelMc32 said:
    Solidgone said:
    Yep, you're right.  You know what my memory is like :wink:
  • edited January 2021
    went to Woolwich a couple of years ago when the ferry was going to set of for one of its last voyages before being scraped for the new modern ferry's. cease to say that the ferry was not running so ended up doing a pub crawl round Woolwich. 

went to The Bull but it was packed, couldn't even get through the door, so i guess this post is a bit pointless but it seemed to me the pub was a real favourite amongst the locals. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Had many a good session in the Bull. Like @guinnessaddick said I preferred it when there were two bars but it was still good. Not been there as regularly in recent years but I’m sure I’ll be in there again in the future. 
  • went to Woolwich a couple of years ago when the ferry was going to set of for one of its last voyages before being scraped for the new modern ferry's. cease to say that the ferry was not running so ended up doing a pub crawl round Woolwich. 

went to The Bull but it was packed, couldn't even get through the door, so i guess this post is a bit pointless but it seemed to me the pub was a real favourite amongst the locals. 
    Was it 17th March?
  • Mate I don't even know the year never mind the date.
    It was a Saturday afternoon though.

I guess thats St Paddy's day? 

Anyway whenever it was it was busy. 

• Is the Rose’s in hare street still in business? 
  • Solidgone said:
    Is the Rose’s in hare street still in business? 
    Yes
  • I think I spent my 16th birthday in there with my brother. It was all going ok until I hit the vodkas.