Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alfie Doughty - Signed for Luton for an undisclosed fee (p16)

edited June 2022 in General Charlton
Happy 21st birthday to Addicks academy graduate, @alfiedoughty4 #cafc

Comments

• Happy Birthday Alfie... Now sign that contract or we'll break ya legs!!
  • Stig said:

That cake should be in green and white surely  :)
  • Hopefully he gets a new agent for his birthday.
  • Runs very fast. 
  • If it's a case of a fee and sell on clause now v losing him to Celtic for £200k or whatever like Aribo's fee in the summer, it's good sense to sell now, and I trust TS to reinvest unlike RD.

Hopefully we avoid these promising youngemsters having such short contracts under the new regime.
  • You mean AD's agent has told AD not to sign a contract on the pretext that the
    grass is always greener and all that shit, just after another earner, fu*king agents :s
  • Sponsored links:

• Sid James fan club from here i reckon is his old man, he's a scum fan so could be
  • Well if he is not signing a new contract when he turns up for his continuing treatment for his injury,tell him to piss off.
  • Well that’s disappointing. For some naive reason, I thought he’d sign. 
  • Sell sell sell!

Karlan revisited , a new 5 parter on ITV.
  • big mistake By his agent and him coming back from injury and steeping up a level   personally think his not ready for our first team regularly. His fast but you can’t just have pace in your locker lot of time when he runs with ball it’s not in his control and defenders Nick it off him and his decision making is not good enough either. His career into the buffers I’d say. 
  • big mistake By his agent and him coming back from injury and steeping up a level   personally think his not ready for our first team regularly. His fast but you can’t just have pace in your locker lot of time when he runs with ball it’s not in his control and defenders Nick it off him and his decision making is not good enough either. His career into the buffers I’d say. 
    If he’s as poor as you think he is then taking the money now is the right decision, even more so with the injury he has.
  • Going forward I hope no more youth player are given first team games without first signing a proper contract.

Our youngsters need to understand they wouldn't get the opportunity to move to bigger and better things without the support, experience and exposure the club offers them so there has to be a quid pro quo between both parties.

Two year deals with a third year option have to become a condition of being given a start in the professional game.
    I am afraid all loyalty is gone,these kids however much they love Charlton and are realising their dream,will always have their heads turned by agents looking after their own interests.Alfies agent will have seen a nice little wage increase and possibly signing on fee take his cut and not give a toss .Having a contract does make Charltons negotiating power a bit more even, but the agent will always get his way in the end.All very frustrating but until we are out of this division and can compete salary wise,our kids will continue to be poached.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Going forward I hope no more youth player are given first team games without first signing a proper contract.

Our youngsters need to understand they wouldn't get the opportunity to move to bigger and better things without the support, experience and exposure the club offers them so there has to be a quid pro quo between both parties.

Two year deals with a third year option have to become a condition of being given a start in the professional game.
    I am afraid all loyalty is gone,these kids however much they love Charlton and are realising their dream,will always have their heads turned by agents looking after their own interests.Alfies agent will have seen a nice little wage increase and possibly signing on fee take his cut and not give a toss .Having a contract does make Charltons negotiating power a bit more even, but the agent will always get his way in the end.All very frustrating but until we are out of this division and can compete salary wise,our kids will continue to be poached.
    I have no issue with any of our youngsters wanting to further their careers - be that playing at a higher level or maximising their earnings (both usually go together!) in what is a fairly short window of a career. All we can reasonably ask for is 100% commitment for as long as they wear our shirt.

Bosman has a lot to answer for!!
  • edited January 2021
    Going forward I hope no more youth player are given first team games without first signing a proper contract.

As the Peterborough owner said the other day when talking about Dembele's transfer request "all league one players are for sale". He obviously didn't mean literally up for sale, but clearly at the level we're at, all players will have a price and are liable to be attracted by clubs in higher divisions who can pay higher wages.
  • We have always sold youngsters, in the past however they would have played over 100 games for us, these days we’re lucky if that number is 30+.
  • Can we stop putting the player we think is the big hope for our season as the January picture on the calendar please? It's getting pretty depressing
    Was thinking about this last night - Is it worth just going with a blank image to be safe?

Even if we used a picture of the Valley I'd be worried!!
  • Going forward I hope no more youth player are given first team games without first signing a proper contract.

As the Peterborough owner said the other day when talking about Dembele's transfer request "all league one players are for sale". He obviously didn't mean literally up for sale, but clearly at the level we're at, all players will have a price and are liable to be attracted by clubs in higher divisions who can pay higher wages.
    To be fair it happens at all levels now. In the last 10 years even Liverpool haven't been able to hold on to players (Torres, Sterling, Coutinho, Suarez). The money has increased agents power which has just increased greed. 
  • I'd imagine that if his agent is telling him not to sign a new contract he will also be telling him he can make more as a free agent than signing for someone in January.

If that is the case then we wont be able to move him on and guarantee a sell on fee which is potentially worth far more than any fee we'd get in Jan or nominal fee in the summer.

if bowyer is aware of all of that and still feels we should use him as much as we can in the first team then fine but, if he want tell send him back to train and play with the youth team then I wouldn't have an issue with that.
  • I’m not saying his a poor player I’m saying his not ready to move on it’s to early for him to move on.like many other young players that have moved on to early I think he will flop.
     He only runs with the ball with speed like I said the balls normally about 5 feet in front of him. 
    It’s a bit like mark stuart and rob lee both good wingers for us lee had more control over his dribbling and showed less of the ball to his opponent than Stuart which is why he played for England and Stuart didn’t. 
    Alfie’s decision making is not good yet  and final ball is not always good but it’s what you expect for a young player. But this  will improve. 
    He might learn more from Celtic or Stokes coaches than ours. 
    But for me it’s to early for him to go but money talks and it looks like he wants the money now 
    good luck to him. 

• edited January 2021
    What pisses me off is player power from nobody youngsters that have a 'lot' still to prove, yet they strut around and behave as though they are Messi. This kid is good, but not that good. Would I like him to stay, yes. Would I want him to be sold if he wants away, YES!

Any player that thinks he's beyond our club should be out of the door yesterday. Thomas bangs on about our club history, as does every new player signing ala Ronnie. It's about time we conducted our business as though the club is in charge. 

If I came home from work and my wife said that she wants a divorce and is already talking to other men to choose a suiter, there is no way I'd be begging her. She can go and get a 'golden handshake' elsewhere. 

Thanks for the brief interlude Alfie. Turn the lights out after you leave the physio's room.