Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*** Aiden McGeady Signs! Loan deal until end of the season.***

Comments

• Options
    Needs to do something on the pitch.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Needs to do something on the pitch.
    Yep scoring or setting up a winner in the not too distant future could make him a hero a bit like Cliff Durandt all those years ago 😉.
  • Options
    McGeady starting for Sunderland U23s today.

Perhaps Parky has forgiven him.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Possibly, although I believe he cannot play until January anyway as he wasn't listed in Sunderland's squad. A lot of fans are criticising their lack of creativity so it would be mad not to let him play for the U23's and keep an eye on him. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Possibly, although I believe he cannot play until January anyway as he wasn't listed in Sunderland's squad. A lot of fans are criticising their lack of creativity so it would be mad not to let him play for the U23's and keep an eye on him. 
    Have Sunderland registered 23 players?

If they haven't they can add McGeady in the same way they could bring in a free agent.

He cannot sign for anyone else until January. 
  • Options
    Charlton v Sunderland play off part 3 next year....McGeady comes on and....
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Richard J said:
    Addickted said:

Have Sunderland registered 23 players?

If they haven't they can add McGeady in the same way they could bring in a free agent.

He cannot sign for anyone else until January. 
    I know I read the Sunderland forum and they all said he can't play until January. Perhaps it's something to do with the salary cap. This season it's not as simple as registering 23 players. If you go over the salary cap with your say 22 senior players, you could just register 20 of them to come under the cap but the other two wouldn't be able to play. It's something we could have done with someone like Oztumer in order to bring another player in. Or we could do in January if we wanted to strengthen but wasn't able to offload someone. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I imagine McGeady will be on a decent salary, so why would he move to another L1 club and get just £2k a week due to the salary cap rules?
  • Options
    Jack Diamond and Vinne Steels sounds like a 70s cop show 
  • Options
    I imagine McGeady will be on a decent salary, so why would he move to another L1 club and get just £2k a week due to the salary cap rules?
    McGeady is well into his 35th year - and if he's not getting any sort of game time his fitness is going to wither away.

As a player, he's listed as a financial asset.
    To preserve any value, he's got to retain playing fitness.

Hence getting a game today.

No other club will be willing to match his existing contract.
    He'll be loaned out in January surely ...... and the loan club will pay only a 'wage cap contribution' to his Sunderland salary.

• Options
    Does anyone else want a chicken korma after reading the names on that team sheet
  • Options
    They've got number 5 Patrick Almond, with a reputation of being a tough nut.

• Options
    They are playing Palace .... hope they win!

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    They are playing Palace .... hope they win!

They lost
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but I hadn't realised that Sunderland still have a category 1 academy
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone there know who the triallist was? ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    No, but he'll be playing for another club next week.

You know, like some fans hope to visit all 92 League grounds - young Triallist has an ambition to play for all 92 League clubs. :smile:

• Options
    Let's be honest folks we only brought McGeady in because absolutely no other professional club in the entire British Isles wanted him.

Can't hate the bloke because the behind the scenes debacle wasn't his fault but at 34 his legs have long since gone and there is more chance of Karl Robinson passing a service station without nipping for a steak pie than McGeady going past a defender.

It says everything about Sunderland that they are so skint they can't even pay out his contract.
  • Options
    If only Sunderland had an Under 53 squad. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I’d guess his name is Alan Trialist.

I always wondered what happened to Arthur Norman Other from yesteryear.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Lee Johnson will be on his Christmas Card list.

After Parkinson had pushed him out all together and had him training on his own, Lee Johnson in his first game he put him straight in the starting line up.

Not going to well early on tho, losing 1-0 to Wigan
  • Options
    Hit the post too in the game, my Sunderland supporting mate seems to think he's going to be their saviour this season ... worrying for them if so given his performances with us
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Hit the post too in the game, my Sunderland supporting mate seems to think he's going to be their saviour this season ... worrying for them if so given his performances with us
    He wasn't great for us, but he wasn't terrible either. And in L1 he should be more effective than in a struggling Championship side
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    He has really found form for the Mackems . His assist against Tranmere was sublime . He has made a tremendous difference to Sunderland since Johnson brought him back into the fold .

I guess it shows the difference in quality between the Championship and L1 that an average player in our run in is a stand out at this level .