Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Saturday 16th November 1968 | Post Match thread

Inspired by the Matt Tees thread, I thought it might be fun if people watched the Match of the Day video and then offered post-match comments as we do now.

To add to the pleasure, feel free to adopt a 1960's style if you are able.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAVjXM043aA

Comments

• Options
    Great to see again Bob Curtis with his bleached blonde hair. But back then, have to remember he was only a kid of 18.

• Options
    Sloppy defending by Reeves to allow the equaliser by Scott Wagstaff, and the 2 players should have prevented the cross coming in

With that sort of defending I fear we will narrowly miss out on promotion
  • Options
    "Sir Charlie Wright, Sir Charlie Wright, Charlie ..... "

"We've got Peacock on the outside wing
    And Treacy in the middle;
    When the ball's in the back of the net,
    You'll hear the Covered End roar ....."

Matt Tees (clap, clap, clap) Matt Tees (clap, clap, clap) Matt Tees (clap, clap, clap)

• Options
    edited November 2020
    What a scramble ...... Dennis Booth should have buried that!

• Options
    Peacock 4/10. No future at this club in any capacity.
  • Options
    "And Charlton were only in the lead for ..... 2 minutes".

I've followed Charlton for 56 years and how many times have I heard that.

Good job with our run of 6 clean sheets we haven't heard that recently.
    Apart from last Tuesday, of course!  :smile:

• Options
    For goodness sake......why can't iplayer stream the game in colour. We aren't back in the 50's you know. 

And who's bright idea was it to kick towards the Covered End first half. Wind my arse !

I'm off down the pub for a mild & bitter.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Things that never change: Part 2:

Did you hear the Bloke Behind Me, when the ref stopped play after a nasty collision?

Hull had a player groggy and half dead on the floor, and there was the Bloke Behind Me Me shouting out, "Come on, ref .... gid on wiv it!".

• Options

Curtis, Reeves, Campbell, Booth, Peacock, Stenson  - 6 former apprentices in the match day 12 plus Kinsey signed from non league Bromley aged 18 and Went signed from Leyton Orient aged 17, not to mention the cultured John Keirs in the stands - that is what you call an Academy & Development programme.

Greatly enjoyed seeing all those guys in their prime on the video including Denis Booth the most tenacious man to man marker I ever saw. Brings to mind those classic battles between Peter Reeves and Rodney Marsh in the day.

• Options
    For goodness sake......why can't iplayer stream the game in colour. We aren't back in the 50's you know. 

And who's bright idea was it to kick towards the Covered End first half. Wind my arse !

I bet you'd order Double Diamond or Watney's bleedin' Red Barrel.

At least drinking that piss would be something worth moaning about. :smile:

• Options
    Day my little brother was born.  They let my dad know when he got back from the match (only joking, he was at home looking after me)
  • Options
    That was definitely a goal from young Keithie Peacock. The sooner we adopt some kind of goal-line technology the better.  All it would take is for Peter Burrowes to wind forward his film, get a young lad to run it down to M. Totty to develop and the referee could have a quick look and see if the picture actually had the ball in it, as well as the goal-line.  

It should only take about twenty-five minutes.  And that would be enough time for everyone to get a Bovril and a bag of monkey nuts. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    That was definitely a goal from young Keithie Peacock. The sooner we adopt some kind of goal-line technology the better.  All it would take is for Peter Burrowes to wind forward his film, get a young lad to run it down to M. Totty to develop and the referee could have a quick look and see if the picture actually had the ball in it, as well as the goal-line.  

It should only take about twenty-five minutes.  And that would be enough time for everyone to get a Bovril and a bag of monkey nuts. 
    So no slower than VAR  :D
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    There is sufficient mirth in some of these comments that I find myself prostrate on the lino yet revolving as I guffaw ... or POTLYRAIG as they will say in the future.
  • Options

All my memories from the 60s are oddly in black and white. I don't think we actually played in red shirts until some time in the 70s.

Is your arse clockwork? Just wondering why you want someone to wind it up.

• Options
    Ref 1/10 Let the players get away with murder with tackles flying in everywhere. Must have left his yellow and red cards at home. Looked totally unfit and couldn't keep up with play, Only played a minute injury time. Didn't even know that the keeper can't pick the ball up from a back pass. At least the game kicked off at dead on 3.00pm for a change.
  • Options
    I know he's only just been born, but I reckon that baby Karol Fraeye would really turn us round.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only watched a bit, I'm fascinated with the singing. Three I noticed that we still do, lots I a couldn't make out.

1. Na...na...na....nananana Charlton. To the melody of Hey Jude, a song which would only have been released a couple of months prior to this match.

2. The reds are going up.....and now you're gonna believe us....the reds are going up.

3. Give me a C H A..... what have you got? CHARLTON. A song/chant which seems to be getting rarer year on year.

Can anyone else make anything out?
  • Options
    Aimed at the oppo supporters:

The Jim Reeves song, "I hear the sound ....... of distant bums.
    Over there, over there.
    And do they they smell,
    Like farkin hell !

Lyrical content perhaps a little limited.

• Options

Curtis, Reeves, Campbell, Booth, Peacock, Stenson  - 6 former apprentices in the match day 12 plus Kinsey signed from non league Bromley aged 18 and Went signed from Leyton Orient aged 17, not to mention the cultured John Keirs in the stands - that is what you call an Academy & Development programme.

Greatly enjoyed seeing all those guys in their prime on the video including Denis Booth the most tenacious man to man marker I ever saw. Brings to mind those classic battles between Peter Reeves and Rodney Marsh in the day.

Bloody hell this was short. I presume you didn’t write much in the 60s? 
  • Options
    I was there!  Where have all the years gone?  Think i can hear a rattle in the background. Watched it with  moist eyes. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Great to revive memories of those players. Thanks for posting.

Campbell and Peacock stuck out for me on the day but we do lack physical presence and height in the side.

Bob Curtis looks like a beatnik.
  • Options
    I’ve just had a great idea.

Why doesn’t the club increase it’s revenue stream by advertising a chain a wallpaper and decorating shops on the chest of their shirts?
  • Options
    Loved seeing Alan Campbell again, my favourite in those days 
  • Options
    There is a faint rendition of...

This one of course involves rigorous pointing, so watch your shoulders

Over there
    OH-ver there
    And do they smell
    (appropriate clapping)
    Like Fuuuucking ell...
    (repeat)

Watched it, what a great find.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Who's the blond bird involved in the warm up ? ( & it's not Bob Curtis)

I guess Graham Moore was injured ? Edit commentator said he was injured.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    PopIcon said:
    Only watched a bit, I'm fascinated with the singing. Three I noticed that we still do, lots I a couldn't make out.

1. Na...na...na....nananana Charlton. To the melody of Hey Jude, a song which would only have been released a couple of months prior to this match.

2. The reds are going up.....and now you're gonna believe us....the reds are going up.

3. Give me a C H A..... what have you got? CHARLTON. A song/chant which seems to be getting rarer year on year.

Can anyone else make anything out?
    We're only warming up, we're only warming up we're only warming up !

In the net, in the net. ............. for a corner or free kick near goal. In later years it was "in the net, over the bar" Wouldn't surprise me if Golfie added that last bit on  :D