Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Online Music Streaming: which service?

I used to use Spotify but find that it doesn't allow you to listen to albums all the way through on a Smartphone. So I now use YouTube music even though I don't watch the video being streamed. I don't know if there's a good alternative.

What streaming services do you prefer and why?

Comments

• I use Tidal as they give a bit more to the artists than Spotify - not much more mind.
  • I used to use Spotify but find that it doesn't allow you to listen to albums all the way through on a Smartphone. So I now use YouTube music even though I don't watch the video being streamed. I don't know if there's a good alternative.

I think your first paragraph means you are referring to the free service. If you pay you can listen to everything, whole albums, on Spotify.
  • Using Amazon Music. From what I understand, the only service where you with a family plan can listen at the same time through different Alexa speakers
  • Amazon. Mainly because I have an echo as a speaker so can use it both in the house and on my phone when running. The free amazon you get with prime has 2 million songs, unlimited is a fiver a minth
  • edited October 2020
    We use Nspster with no complaints at all. I listen in the workshop to my playlists and Mrs listens to hers upstairs, from same account 
  • Spotify premium. 
  • Apple Music for me, the sound is good and I just preferred it to Spotify.
  • Apple Music for me, the sound is good and I just preferred it to Spotify.

Apple Music for me too.
  • Spotify for me, comes free with my mobile contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Spotify Premium
  • Deezer is pretty good, Tidal is great and at the moment its 3 quid for 3 months, well worth a trial
  • edited October 2020
    With bands being unable to earn since March, streaming services that pay pitifully little to the musicians should be doing more to help the artists who allow them to exist. 
    Last year, with some variations, the following was an average in the US.
    • Spotify paid the artists $0,0032 per stream
    • Apple Music got the average rate of $0,0056
    • Google Play Music landed a $0,0055 payout rate
    • Deezer fell slightly lower at $0.00436
  • Spotify Premium. 

Though mind you I listened to a few things on CD the other day that I’d been listening to a lot on Spotify and the sound quality off the CD was so much better.
  • MrWalker said:
    With bands being unable to earn since March, streaming services that pay pitifully little to the musicians should be doing more to help the artists who allow them to exist. 
    Last year, with some variations, the following was an average in the US.
    • Spotify paid the artists $0,0032 per stream
    • Apple Music got the average rate of $0,0056
    • Google Play Music landed a $0,0055 payout rate
    • Deezer fell slightly lower at $0.00436
    Artists don’t have to be on streaming services though.
  • Apple Music on the phone, Spotify on the speakers 
  • I subscribe to Spotify and Tidal. 
    Spotify I would say have better play lists and radio so I listen to them at work with my computer or on my headphones on the train. I really like Spotify but even the premium level settings aren’t as good as they could be. If they improved their bit rate I think they would really clean up on the streaming. At present the mp3 quality isn’t much better than the knock off stuff from the old sharing sites of 20 years ago. 
    Tidal have the quality master recordings which are head and shoulders better than anything Spotify delivers. I listen to Tidal mostly at home alone when I have the volume at a decent level. I enjoy music and HiFi so don’t mind paying a bit more for a decent quality streaming service. 
  • Spotify premium. Trade off between sound quality and the fact that you save zillions on CDs. 
  • Tape on his leg already so he was clearly playing with an injury. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Lovely lovely goal. Old school simplicity. Love it. 
  • Oops. Wrong thread twice! 
  • I haven’t heard of the last 2 but will check them out.
  • Ditched Sporltify and got Amazon unlimited free for 3 months.

No way I'm paying for it. It's shit
  • Mrkinski said:
    I used to use Spotify but find that it doesn't allow you to listen to albums all the way through on a Smartphone. So I now use YouTube music even though I don't watch the video being streamed. I don't know if there's a good alternative.

I think your first paragraph means you are referring to the free service. If you pay you can listen to everything, whole albums, on Spotify.
    You can listen to whole albums for free on Spotify on the PC version too. Just not on a Smartphone.

Thanks to others for the suggestions
  • Ditched Sporltify and got Amazon unlimited free for 3 months.

No way I'm paying for it. It's shit
    Why is it shit?
    The music library, sound quality or user interface?
  • https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/nov/14/streaming-platforms-arent-helping-musicians-and-things-are-only-getting-worse?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR2aohsUGYx_RML9KHBnJwdnNxDvqgvGs3R8CGhCtp9mfKEkQZYEda7mOCA

Streaming platforms aren't helping musicians – and things are only getting worse

Spotify has announced it’s cutting royalties in exchange for an algorithm boost. It’s the latest in a series of moves damaging an industry already on its knees

• Apple music for me. Got 6 months free with EE and just carried on with it. It's fine got most of what I want and easy enough to discover new music
  • Apple Music for me, the sound quality is much better.

• Amazon Prime Music and YouTube Music, both are free with other subscriptions.