Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Play for Today - Just a Boy's Game

Heads up that they are repeating a lot of old Play for Today's on Tuesday nights on BBC4.

This Tuesday it "Just a boy's game" with Frankie Miller.

Brutal play about hard man culture in Greenock in the 70s.

Obviously, we're at home so set the betamax to record.

Comments

• Yeah I've been watching these. There was one a couple of weeks back called the evacuees. Really good.
  • Heads up that they are repeating a lot of old Play for Today's on Tuesday nights on BBC4.

This Tuesday it "Just a boy's game" with Frankie Miller.

Brutal play about hard man culture in Greenock in the 70s.

Obviously, we're at home so set the betamax to record.
    Cheers for the spot Henners. This will bring back some childhood memories. Frankie Miller was quite scary. 
  • Did Eamon Dunphy ever appear in a play? 

I have a hazy recollection of him comforting an apprentice who was being released.  He told him it could've been even worse if he'd have signed for Charlton.

• It was a TV adaptation of his biography "Just a game?" 
  • It was a TV adaptation of his biography "Just a game?" 
    Ah thanks Henry.
  • edited October 2020
    It was a TV adaptation of his biography "Just a game?" 
    In case you go looking for it ... 'Only a Game?'.

ISBN0722652410, 9780722652411
  • Sure it's on YouTube too
  • Well that was a happy little play.  Defy anyone to watch it without subtitles.

... thought there might have been a bit of football in it. :neutral:
  • Sponsored links:

• Well that was a happy little play.  Defy anyone to watch it without subtitles.

Ha, I'm just watching it and put the sub titles on straight away.
    I'm thinking this is depressing and then I read your post.

I watched Abagail's Party yesterday, it's still just as excruciating (still on iplayer).
  • Even I thought about switching on sub-titles and I'm normally quite good at the weegie lingo! Shows how much accents have actually softened in the past decades.

Thought it was good, cheers for the recommendation @h@"Henry Irving"

@r@Raith_C_Chattonell watched It without subtitles without difficulty 
    If it was filmed in Greenock then the football ground would’ve been near the location of the cranes
  • It started off desperately depressing and got consistently worse.
    It could have had a Joy Division sound track :smile:
  • Love this stuff and thanks for the heads up.  Cannot imagine anything as hard hitting on terrestial tv nowadays.
  • Loved it, gritty and brutal. I had to use subtitles too in fairness.
  • There was a play on BBC back in the 70s / 80s set in the press box at the Valley. The match was a 1-1 draw with Notts County. Our goal was a penalty for handball after their player picked the ball up because he thought he had heard the whistle blow. 
  • Watched it last night - I could understand the accents but it seemed to be so quiet to me, I had to have the sound turned right up!

Frankie who?  Frankie Fucking Miller that's who!
  • There was a play on BBC back in the 70s / 80s set in the press box at the Valley. The match was a 1-1 draw with Notts County. Our goal was a penalty for handball after their player picked the ball up because he thought he had heard the whistle blow. 
    That was a real match - I remember the penalty incident clearly. Does that mean there might be footage of it somewhere? 

Ha, I'm just watching it and put the sub titles on straight away.
    I'm thinking this is depressing and then I read your post.

I watched Abagail's Party yesterday, it's still just as excruciating (still on iplayer).
    Did you put on a bit of Demis Roussos afterwards ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Watched it last night. As said had to have the sound turned right up and it took me 30 mins to really understand what they were saying but glad I stayed with it. Remember seeing Terry Reid at dingwalls about 10 years ago and there was always a spot on the balcony reserved  for Frankie Miller, hope he's OK as heard he was confined to a wheelchair. The original Blackstuff tonight.