Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Burrows My Year with MND

edited October 2020 in Not Sports Related
Didn't want to just put this on the TV thread.

If you have a spare half an hour and don't mind having a bit of a cry, then I would advise you to watch this.

Wow talk about emotional.

What a brave man(and his wife as well)

Really highlights the struggles people and their families go through 

Lets hope they find a cure for this shitty illness soon

Comments

• My brother has MND. Was diagnosed 2 years ago in his early 40s and it has devastated the family. I can’t bring myself to watch things like this
  • Nope as above, a good pal of mine suffered and died from MND and another friend of mines mother has just been diagnosed with it. Too real, too painful 

I'm really sorry to read that @Taxi_Lad
  • Couldnt agree more Paulie

Lost my Grandad to this fucker back in 2002... Someone I know from sitting behind me for years at the Valley lost their son this year who isnt much older than me

Would honestly want someone to put a bullet in me if I got it... Horrible, horrible disease... Thoughts are with you and your family @Taxi_Lad
  • It is just awful, so sorry to hear that @Taxi_Lad and @Carter. Closest I can relate to it is my Dad who had a severe form of MS and passed a few years ago but generally speaking MS is manageable unlike MND. 
  • A very moving programme about this terrible disease, so sad that those lovely young children will grow up without their father. A former work colleague of mine sadly died of MND in her forties. Let's hope that a cure can be found soon.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    My brother has MND. Was diagnosed 2 years ago in his early 40s and it has devastated the family. I can’t bring myself to watch things like this
    So sorry to hear that @Taxi_Lad

Unfortunately I never got the pleasure of meeting what would have been my father in law (similarly a massive Charlton fan), due to this. It really is a horrible, debilitating illness. Best wishes to your family. 
  • Watched this last night, very sad but amazed how positive Rob Burrows remains despite the deterioration of his health. 
  • One point, it is Burrow, no s .. as a player Burrow was often too brave for his own good and never had a problem with taking on much bigger opponents in what is a very tough and demanding sport. I do wonder if his illness is another case of being brought on by too many repetitive bangs to the head. I didn't watch the programme. I always admired Burrow the player for his skill and often foolhardy bravery . He was a VERY good RL footballer. All the very best to him and his family.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2020
    One point, it is Burrow, no s .. as a player Burrow was often too brave for his own good and never had a problem with taking on much bigger opponents in what is a very tough and demanding sport. I do wonder if his illness is another case of being brought on by too many repetitive bangs to the head. I didn't watch the programme. I always admired Burrow the player for his skill and often foolhardy bravery . He was a VERY good RL footballer. All the very best to him and his family.
    I would urge you to watch the program.
    Kevin Sinfield (Robs good friend & also a good player in the same Leeds squad) raised the very same question about whether his bravery as a player helped bring this disease on.
    Even his parents questioned whether it was their fault for letting him play rugby in the first place.
    The truth of the matter is that this disease also occurs in men and women who have never even played sport.
    Thats why continued research is so desperately needed.
    It was interesting to hear the doctor on the program admit, ‘they just don’t know why’.